SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Autocomplete when Designing Data Type is Broken

To Duplicate: In designer type "un" in the data type column. Notice that "uniqueidentifier" does not pop up as a suggested data type. This has worked in SSMS for 10+ years now.

In 18.4 it's broken. Please fix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SSMS 18.4 Saved connections reset when changing language

Hi, I switched the language from "System (German)" to "English" and all previously saved connections in the combobox "server name" are gone.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Full DB Backup Fail on database with FileStream

We changed our database to read_only and our FULL database backup started failing.

Differential and Transaction Log backups are successful.

We have databases WITHOUT FileStream enabled and we can do FULL databse backup successfully.

Is this a bug?

This can be tested by creating a database with FileStream using the script below:

USE [master]
    GO

CREATE DATABASE [Readonly]
    CONTAINMENT = NONE
    ON PRIMARY
    ( NAME = N'Read
    only', FILENAME = N'C:\Readonly.mdf' , SIZE = 8192KB , MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED, FILEGROWTH = 65536KB )
    LOG ON
    ( NAME = N'Read
    onlylog', FILENAME = N'C:\Readonly_log.ldf' , SIZE =…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. SSMS - Error - "The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object ‘xp_regread'"

When SQL Server Management Studio ( SSMS ) is trained against an instance where xp_regread has not been assigned to the principal, we get an error.

If the principal has access to the msdb database the master.dbo.xpinstanceregread extended stored procedure ( SP) is used quite a bit.

The xpinstanceregread SP is used to read Database Mail Profile, DatabaseMail configuration, and service accounts.

On Cloud Databases this privilege is denied likely for good reasons.

More here ... https://learningintheopen.org/2020/03/23/ssms-aws-rds-error-the-execute-permission-was-denied-on-the-object-xp_regread/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Adding databases from SQL 2017 to SQL 2019 availability groups doesn't automatically join them on the secondary

When using Availability Groups and doing migrations from SQL Server 2017 to 2019, databases aren't in the group on the new replica. This used to worked in prior versions and using wizard to do full join.

Error in the log is:
    Always On: AG integrity check failed for AG 'AGLOGIN' with error 41041, severity 16, state 0.
    Always On: The local replica of availability group 'AGLOGIN' is being removed. The instance of SQL Server failed to validate the integrity of the availability group configuration in the Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) store. This is expected if the availability group has…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. rxExecBy not work with numTasks higher than 1 in sql server 2019

This function works well with SQL Server versions 2016 and 2017, but with 2019 it only works with a parallelism level of 1. Tests have been carried out with the same code example that appears on this web page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/advanced-analytics/r/creating-multiple-models-using-rxexecby?view=sql-server-ver15

When numTasks equals 1, the script ends correctly, however when it is 2 or higher, the procedure hangs and no feedback appears. The issue could be related to the new 2019 version isolation scheme and MPI Application Launcher. I appreciate the help in advance.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SQL Server 2019 CU3 CE 150 Invalid object name 'days'

We get following error after testing our code on SQL Server 2019 CU3 in compatibility level 150. Error doesn't happen in 140.

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Procedure udf_GetTicketDurationDays, Line 29 [Batch Start Line 0]
    Invalid object name 'days'.

days is a CTE.

Compared to other error that I submitted this one doesn't happen always. I get it once when running and then running it again it works fine. Then same thing will happen in other area of the application with another function that's doing same thing with CTE inside a function.

Hope you can replicate it as well…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SQL Server 2019 CU3 CE 150 Cannot continue the execution because the session is in the kill state

We get following error after testing our code on SQL Server 2019 CU3 in compatibility level 150. Error doesn't happen in 140.

Error:
    Msg 596, Level 21, State 1, Line 0
    Cannot continue the execution because the session is in the kill state.
    Msg 0, Level 20, State 0, Line 0
    A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.

Seems like a combination of using a function that SQL sees as inlineable and group by with rollup.

See attached file to replicate this issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. model_replicatedmaster,model_msdbdata

After installing the SQL2019 DEVELOPER edition (RTM-CU3) (KB4538853) - 15.0.4023.6 (X64) ( with the following FEATURES=SQLENGINE,FULLTEXT,CONN,IS) it is noticed that installation is showing 4 new system database files: modelmsdbdata.mdf,
    model
    msdblog.ldf,
    modelreplicatedmaster.ldf,
    model
    replicatedmaster.mdf,
    BUT no such systemDB is displayed in SSMS under system DBs. Can you please advise further?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SSMS 18.4 font scaling problems

SSMS 18.4 scales badly when using RDP with a variety of scaling properties set. This makes it impossible to see cpu affinity.

Client running windows 10 1909 with 3840x2160 @150%

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. ssms query store issues/suggestions

SSMS 18.4

Bugs

1. When using the detailed grid (with additional details) returning 'Top nn', it is not returning the same metrics that is shown in the simple grid and chart. It does work correctly when returning 'All'. Test case: the same set of query id's should be listed in all cases.

2. Sorting by a column in the simple grid, it changes the metric which does not match the configured metric. This works correctly in the detailed grid. Test case: the same set of query id's should be listed in all cases.

3. Sorting by a column should not query the Query…
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Ack on the reported issues under the Bugs section. Thank you for reporting.

For future reference, it would be more actionable if what’s under Annoyances and Suggestions could be opened as separate feedback items (maybe even if collating those that may be related), but let them accrue votes from other community members on those separate scoped items.

12. SSMS: "Additional properties" in "New Assembly" dialog is misleading as it doesn't describe DLL being imported

In SSMS (ver 18.x at least, though likely prior), when importing an assembly via the "New Assembly" dialog (under {Instance} -> Databases -> {DB} -> Programmability -> Assemblies -> right-click -> "New Assembly..."), when you select a DLL in the "Path to assembly" field, the values under "Additional properties" do not update to reflect the DLL on the file system. The values under "Additional properties" only reflect the selected assembly when viewing the properties of an assembly that has already been loaded into SQL Server (and hence the dialog title is "Assembly Properties").

If the values under "Additional properties" aren't…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSMS 18.4 Cannot Disconnect Query Session

I prefer to work on code while not connected to any environment. Often I'll pull things off of production and work on them before connecting to QA or UAT/STAGE for testing.

I've added the "Disconnect" Button to my menu bar, as I have on previous versions of SSMS (up to 17), next to "Connect" and "Change Connection".

But when I attempt to disconnect a tab from any server it was originally connected to, I'm offered the ability to Change Connection, but Disconnect is always greyed out.

Unfortunately, I'll need to roll back if I can't get this to work. I've…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. SSIS Microsoft Oracle Connector table name migration Attunity

When you deploy a solution and execute a package on SQL Server 2019 that was created with Attunity destination, the package migrates but you get an error message that destination table not found if the destination table is not in uppercase and surrounded with quotes. eg. if the table name was user1.customer, the package will fail. Select the table name from the drop down and you get "USER1"."CUSTOMER" as the value the new Microsoft Connector wants. With this selected value, the package runs fine. In addition, if you type in "USER1"."CUSTOMER", the package will fail in development with error that…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Cannot add new login when connecting to two named instances on the same server

Consider the following scenario:
    Two or more named instances on the same SQL server.
    Use SSMS to connect to one of them using SQL authentication (sa).
    Select Security/Logins -> New Login.
    Click Search next to Login Name.
    Fill-in domain credentials when asked.
    You can close the form now, adding a user is not required to trigger the bug.
    Connect to another named instance on the same SQL server.
    Try to add a new login in the same way. When clicking the Search button, the user is presented with the attached error.
    (The program cannot open the required dialog box because…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SQL Server 2019: Memory performance with graph queries

I'm currently working on implementing an upgrade to SQL Server 2019 in order to make use of the graph features that are available in it. Our database stores records of files and their children, and the graph features allow us to quickly find all of a file's relations in either direction. Our current dev environment is using SQL Server 2019 Standard (15.0.4023.6) on a Linux server.

I'm noticing a concerning problem when I run my graph queries. The server's 'internal' resource pool appears to not free up all resources after a graph query. Left unchecked, this fills up the resource…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Bug SSRS 2016 very slow excel export

Platform
    Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP2-CU12) (KB4536648) - 13.0.5698.0 (X64) Feb 15 2020 01:47:30 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor) Xeon 8cores 64Gb ram
    Net Framework 4.8
    We have bug with SSRS export to excel its very slow (see attachment, time in seconds)
    since release SQL server 2016
    Please optimize

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bug in SSMS 18 deletes extra step added to maintenance job

To recreate the problem:

1. In SSMS, create a new database backup maintenance plan using the wizard. take all defaults.

2. Save the plan.

3. Open the properties of the newly created sql agent job and add a step 2. In my case, step 2 executed a Windows batch file. I didn't test alternatives.

4. Save the job.

5. Open the maintenance plan, make a change and save the plan.

6. Open the properties of the sql agent job and examine the steps. Step 2 has been deleted.

That's it. When you update the maintenance plan and save it, the sql agent job associated with it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Collation of [syscolumns].[collation] column is incorrect starting in SQL Server 2012

In SQL Server 2012, a change was made to the [syscolumns] system compatibility view that causes the collation to be incorrect for two of the fields returned by the view: [printfmt] and [collation]. The [printfmt] column should be safe to ignore as I don't see how anyone can be using it since it is hard-coded to return NULL. However, the [collation] field is usable and so should have the correct collation.

Since this is a compatibility view that nobody should be using anymore, I don't really expect this to be fixed (although fixing it would be super-easy and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. SSRS Mobile reports should be update to show correct totals

SSRS Mobile Reports, if you have any time based data the has gaps, the report automatically 'fills in' the gaps with averaged data, which makes Totals and charts not show data correctly. For some reason this has been the case for years and support closes every ticket regarding this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base