SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQL Server 2019 CU 1 - HkHostRedoLogRecords error in AlwaysOn replica

While using SQL Server 2019 CU 1, with AlwaysOn availability group (2 Windows servers, both on the same LAN, asynchronous replica), the following error occurred on the (readable) secondary replica:

[ERROR] HkHostRedoLogRecords(): Database ID: [X] '***'. Failed to redo log record at LSN YYY. Error code: 0x84000004. (sql\ntbms\hekaton\sqlhost\sqlmin\hkhosttxmgmt.cpp:2103)

After that, the DB became Suspected.

There was no such issues in the same AG group with SQL Server 2017 in the past 2 years.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cannot connect to Azure SQL Database using MFA in SQL Server Management Studio

I am working remotely. I am on my home PC, connected to corpnet via VPN, and using remote desktop to connect to my main work PC. I am trying to connect to my Azure SQL database using SQL Server Management Studio (18.4, the latest).

Normally (when I'm not remote) I can connect using "Azure Active Directory - Integrated", but when I try to do that while remoting in I get an error instructing me to use MFA.

However, when I try to use "Azure Active Directory - Universal with MFA" it eventually results in an error and I am unable…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SSMS 18.4 left and right arrow keys don't work in criteria pane

When focused in a box in the criteria pane, the left and right arrow keys don't work. They have worked in previous iterations and up and down arrows still work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Microsoft SQL Server 2014: Incorrect result when selecting from nested query with UNION in CROSS APPLY

When selecting from a nested query in an OUTER APPLY statement the nested query seems to be evaluated only once in certain circumstances.

Test Case 1

Evaluates nested FROM query for every row in VALUES (imho expected behaviour)

SELECT

v,

v2

FROM

(VALUES (1), (2), (3), (4)) AS inner_query(v)

OUTER APPLY (
    SELECT
    MAX(inner_v2) AS v2
    FROM (
    SELECT
    15 AS id,
    v AS inner_v2
    ) AS outer_query
    GROUP BY id
    ) AS outer_apply

Result:

| v | v2|
    |---|---|
    | 1 | 1 |
    | 2 | 2 |
    | 3 | 3 |
    | 4 | 4 | …

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. SSMS can't connect to Azure SQL with AAD admin Group

I'm an admin through an AAD group that is assigned to be the AD admin to the Azure SQL database. I cannot connect anymore. I could before, when my user was assigned explicitly as AD admin. I think it has to do with the AD domain name or tenant ID field that has disappeared since version 18 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-ssms-mfa-authentication#azure-ad-domain-name-or-tenant-id-parameter), because it should be automatically recognized (which I suspect is not happening).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Polybase should support multi-character string delimiter (and absence of delimiter)

I am trying to import a file which contains lines of JSON snippets. There are embedded double-quotes.

STRING_DELIMITER = '' (no delimiter) is supported by SQL DW, but in SQL Server, defaulted to using double-quote as the delimter. This was a pain to debug, given that my script worked fine on SQL DW!

STRING_DELIMITER = '0xFF' was a successful workaround.

However, I have also been trying to use GZIP-compressed JSON files to improve performance. Created in Spark with df.write. mode("overwrite").option("compression", "gzip").format("json").save()

Every string delimiter I try in SQL Server fails with: 105082;Generic ODBC error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SQL Server 2019 Bug with `SELECT @local_variable` syntax used to build a string via concatenation

We are testing our application with SQL Server 2019 so that we can formally publish that we support it. While testing, we encountered a major behavioral difference between SQL Server 2017 and SQL Server 2019 in one of our user-defined functions.

The function takes two parameters that comprise part of a WHERE clause. Then the SELECT caluse performs the concatenation as follows:

SELECT @Output =

CASE @Output
    WHEN '' THEN c2.name
    ELSE @Output + '; ' + c2.name
    END

In SQL Server 2017, this behaves as expected and concatenates all of the c2.name values into a semicolon delimited string. However,…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SQL Server 2019 Bug with `SELECT @local_variable` syntax used to build a string via concatenation

We are testing our application with SQL Server 2019 so that we can formally publish that we support it. While testing, we encountered a major behavioral difference between SQL Server 2017 and SQL Server 2019 in one of our user-defined functions.

The function takes two parameters that comprise part of a WHERE clause. Then the SELECT caluse performs the concatenation as follows:

SELECT @Output =

CASE @Output

WHEN '' THEN c2.name
    ELSE @Output + '; ' + c2.name
    END

In SQL Server 2017, this behaves as expected and concatenates all of the c2.name values into a semicolon delimited string. However,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. when using either import or export data to a sql server there is no display of a box to pick the database you are talking about.

When you use export data or import data tasks in SSMS 8.4 there is no place that asks you to pick the database for the destination. Consequently, it creates a new table in the master database. In previous versions (17.x) you have a list of db's at the destination to be able to pick where you want the data to go.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. C'mon Microsoft... I keep waiting for you to fix the screen refresh when tabbing betweent different

I keep thinking you will figure out there is a problem with the refresh of content in the Tabs when you are going from one to another. Too often the same content is there from the previous tab you were on, so you have to resize the window or do something to cause a redraw so that the current (procedure, function, whatever sql) appears. This has been in every version of SSMS since I upgraded in August. C'mon guys! Really annoying!!

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18206.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.1567.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.17763.1
    Microsoft MSXML…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Drop view error

The code on page for DROP VIEW [ IF EXISTS ] [ schemaname . ] viewname [ ...,n ] [ ; ]

should be
    DROP VIEW [ IF EXISTS ] [ schemaname]. viewname [ ...,n ] [ ; ]

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSMS 18.4 - The Step output path causes a long several minute hang if it isn't a valid directory. It does error, just causes hangs.

Using Job Macros in the step output path to determine the folder path causes this issue. Just entering an invalid path causes this issue. Basically it looks as though the GUI is trying to parse the location string, but not just when changing the string, it also causes several minute hangs when just editing the job step when an invalid or macro based location string is present. There are no error messages or warnings produced, just these long hang periods. Macros for the actual file name don't seem to be an issue, it just seems to be the path element…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 错误: 8115,无法为该请求检索数据。 (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

标题: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

无法为该请求检索数据。 (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

有关帮助信息,请单击: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&LinkId=20476

其他信息:

执行 Transact-SQL 语句或批处理时发生了异常。 (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

将 expression 转换为数据类型 int 时出现算术溢出错误。
    语句已终止。 (Microsoft SQL Server,错误: 8115)

有关帮助信息,请单击: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&ProdVer=15.00.2070&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=8115&LinkId=20476

按钮:

确定

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Query display

When SSMS 18.4 is running and I'm editing query text in multiple tabs, and I have Chome v79 running to read my messages on what I need to accomplish, the tabs do not see to refresh when I move between tabs. EX: Query 1 is simple select * from table1. Query2 tab has update query. Query 3 tab has code from a stored procedure I'm modifying and Query 4 has code from a function. If I go to Query 1 to see data that I'm working on updating it shows fine. When I move to Query 2 to change the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Can not connect to Azure storage on Mooncake with SSMS

I use SSMS v17.9.1 to connect to Azure storage on Mooncake.
    I already change setting with Mooncake, but connection error message still show issue with Global Azure connection.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. CREATE CERTIFICATE fails with vague, misleading error

When you attempt to create a certificate and the SUBJECT contains a comma character, the command fails with a vague, misleading error message:

Msg 15297, Level 16, State 46, Line 8
    The certificate, asymmetric key, or private key data is invalid.

See attached file/script for an example.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. FIX Distributed AG Database Removal Process in SSMS

In SSMS, if you removes a DB from a Distributed AG on Primary DAG, it still remains in Secondary DAG. And it's not possible to delete it from forwader(Secondary DAG, Primary node) using SSMS's GUI. It tries to alter avaliablity group, intead of alter database x set hadr off.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Mouse scroll crashes SSMS when connected to Azure SQL instance

SSMS 17.9.1

When connecting to Azure SQL instance and using Edit Top 200 Rows feature, using the mouse scroll through the records crashes SSMS regularly.

Windows event logs:

Application: Ssms.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
    at System.Guid..ctor(Byte[])
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DataTools.UI.QueryResult.FileStreamReader.ReadGuid(Int64, Boolean, Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DataTools.UI.QueryResult.SpecialDataType ByRef, System.Guid ByRef)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DataTools.UI.QueryResult.DiskStorageView.SequentialReadColumn(Int32, Boolean)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DataTools.UI.QueryResult.DiskStorageView.GetCellDataFromFileInternal(Int64, Int32, Boolean)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DataTools.UI.QueryResult.DiskStorageView.GetCellData(Int64, Int32)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DataTools.UI.QueryResult.StorageViewBase.GetCellDataAsStringInternal(Int64, Int32)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DataTools.UI.QueryResult.DiskStorageView.GetCellDataAsString(Int64, Int32)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DataTools.UI.QueryResult.ResultBindingList.GetValue(Int32, Int32)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DataTools.UI.QueryResult.QueryResultControl.DataGridView_CellValueNeeded(System.Object, System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellValueEventArgs)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnCellValueNeeded(System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellValueEventArgs)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnCellValueNeeded(Int32, Int32)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCell.GetValue(Int32)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewTextBoxCell.GetPreferredSize(System.Drawing.Graphics, System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellStyle, Int32, System.Drawing.Size)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCell.GetPreferredWidth(Int32, Int32)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCell.OnCellDataAreaMouseEnterInternal(Int32)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCell.OnMouseMoveInternal(System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnCellMouseMove(System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.UpdateMouseEnteredCell(HitTestInfo,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base