SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSRS 2017 unable to connect after using double quotes in password

SSRS shows error "Unable to connect to data source" for dataset when double quotes are used in password.

Steps:
    1) Create SQL server account:

USE [master]
    GO
    CREATE LOGIN [Reportxs] WITH PASSWORD=N'Rpt"123', DEFAULTDATABASE=[SomeDB], CHECKEXPIRATION=OFF, CHECKPOLICY=ON
    GO
    USE [SomeDB]
    GO
    CREATE USER [Reportxs] FOR LOGIN [Reportxs]
    GO
    USE [SomeDB]
    GO
    ALTER ROLE [dbdatareader] ADD MEMBER [Reportxs]
    GO

2) Create new project Report Server project using Report Wizard
    3) Create new Datasource with SQL Server Authentication, Username = Report_xs and password =Test"123
    4) Tick "Save my password"
    5) Select your database
    6) Click on…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Reg temp table drop

I have added one drop condition for #temptable inside the if condition in store procedure. But not create #temptable any where still it is allowed to alter store procedure .

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. When we drop any physical table then need to give message " Table used in X procedure we can drop the same?"

When we drop any physical table then need to give message " Table used in X procedure, can you drop the same?"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Using SQL Azure: DateTime2 comparison on timestamp_utc for the fn_xe_telemetry_blob_target_read_file function does not seem to function corr

Using SQL Azure: DateTime2 comparison on the [timestamputc] file for the sys.fnxetelemetryblobtargetread_file function does not seem to function correctly.

If I query for data in the current century, nothing is returned - I only get data when I ask for data in the distant past.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SSMS 18.5 - Solution Explorer shows nothing

SSMS 18.5 gets into a state wherein the Solution Explorer panel shows nothing, both in the title bar and client area. Attached is a screenshot of the upper righthand corner of SSMS, where I have it docked with auto-hide. When I click to open it, nothing shows when it opens. Right-clicking on the tab, and then choosing "Solution Explorer - Folder View", renders the same outcome.

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18330.0
    SQL Server Management Objects (SMO) 16.100.37971.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.19040.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.14393.0
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 10.0.14393

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Migrate 2017 SSIS catalog database to new SQL server 2019 Failed

I move a SSIS database and other user databases from SQL server 2017 to a new server 2019.

Other databases work fine. SSISDB does not work as expected.

I restored the SSIS database and master key, successfully.

But When I try to run database upgrade from SSMS by right click SSISDB -- Database upgrade I got an error:

The system cannot find the file specified (System)

Then I tried from the wizard directory on the file system

D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\150\DTS\Binn\ISDBUpgradeWizard,

TITLE: SQL Server Integration Services

The version of the sql server instance (15.0.4043.16) doesn't match with the version of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. MDS in SQL Server 2019 (CU 4): Bug with recursive derived parent child hierarchy

Recursive parent child hierarchies are not correctly displayed in SQL Server 2019 MDS (CU4). All memebers appear on the first level. Some are on the first level and repeated below their parent.

Example:

cf. Entity.png

With hierarchy:

c.f. HierarchyDefinition.png

or in explorer:

c.f ExplorerView.png

Choices for "Anchor null relationship" do not make a difference

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Microsoft Sql Server Report Builder has stopped working

Report Builder (14.0.1016.246) crashed on startup due to a corrupted user.config file. The error message was a crash report and did not provide any useful information.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: MSReportBuilder.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 14.0.1016.246
    Problem Signature 03: 5a84b725
    Problem Signature 04: System.Xml
    Problem Signature 05: 4.7.3394.0
    Problem Signature 06: 5c537264
    Problem Signature 07: b85
    Problem Signature 08: 27
    Problem Signature 09: System.Xml.XmlException
    OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.272.7
    Locale ID: 1033

The issue was that the original user.config was corrupted and only half there. I removed the user.config and everything start up again normal.

File location: C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Report…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. SSMS 18.5.1 errors trying to open DAX query on PBI XMLA endpoint

If you connect to Power BI XMLA endpoint with SSMS 18.5.1 and click to create a new DAX query, you get the error message below. This worked fine on 18.5.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ( at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.WpfTextView.UnsubscribeFromEvents()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.WpfTextView.Close()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.WpfTextViewHost.Close()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.SimpleTextViewWindow.CloseExistingWpfTextView()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.SimpleTextViewWindow.CloseBufferRelatedResources()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.SimpleTextViewWindow.CloseView()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.CompoundTextViewWindow.Close()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ShellCodeWindowControl.UnsinkEventsAndFreeInterfaces()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ShellTextEditorControl.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
    at System.ComponentModel.Component.Dispose()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ScriptEditorControl.Dispose(Boolean bDisposing)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.ScriptAndResultsEditorControl.Dispose(Boolean bDisposing)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.Editors.MdxScriptEditorControl.Dispose(Boolean bDisposing)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ShellWindowPaneUserControl.OnWindowPaneClose()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ShellWindowPaneUserControl.ClosePane()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowPaneDocumentObject.<>cDisplayClass19_0.<DisposeManagedResources>b0()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ErrorHandler.CallWithCOMConvention(Action method, Boolean reportError))

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ssms.exe.config missing binding redirect

Currently using ssms v 18.5.1. There is a binding redirect for one of the VS Shell assemblies missing which causes extensions referencing older versions to fail.

Ex: https://github.com/TaoK/PoorMansTSqlFormatter/issues/234

The missing redirect (taken from devenv.exe.config of VS 2019 16.6):
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.12.0" publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" culture="neutral"/>
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="2.0.0.0-15.0.0.0" newVersion="15.0.0.0"/>
    </dependentAssembly>

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SQL 2019 returns different results for the same query, depending on the query plan used

Attached is an Execution Plan containing 4 SELECTs. The first and last SELECT are identical - one is embedded in a stored procedure and the other is the identical query executed outside of the procedure (ignore the 2nd & 3rd SELECT in the attached - they are also included in the procedure and are incidental to describing this bug). The first & last identical SELECTS have different execution plans, which is OK, however these identical SELECTS with identical parameters assign DIFFERENT results to the @strDepartmentSplit variable (which is NOT OK).
    The first execution plan returns the expected result and behaves…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Bug in SSMS 18.4 ,

I get system error in ssms whenever I script any object or try to generate a script - 'A new guard page for the stack cannot be created' and ssms crashes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. LDAP Binding Issue After 3/10 Patch When Creating MDS IIS Application

Issue

When creating IIS Web Application, after entering user name and password and hit OK, will pop up error: The credential could not be verified in Active Directory.

In MDS log, can see below error:
    05/20/2020 08:24:21,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000,Unknown,Error,"Error - An exception has been logged:
    Strong authentication is required for this operation. at System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapConnection.BindHelper(NetworkCredential newCredential, Boolean needSetCredential)
    at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.CredentialValidator.lockedLdapBind(LdapConnection current, NetworkCredential creds, ContextOptions contextOptions)
    at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.CredentialValidator.BindLdap(NetworkCredential creds, ContextOptions contextOptions)
    at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.CredentialValidator.Validate(String userName, String password, ContextOptions connectionMethod)
    at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.PrincipalContext.ValidateCredentials(String userName, String password, ContextOptions options)
    at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.WebUtilities.IsCredentialValid(PrincipalContext context, String accountIdentity, String password)
    at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.WebUtilities.IsCredentialValid(String accountIdentity, String password)
    at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.UI.WebApplicationDialog.IsValidForSave()"

Troubleshooting

There is a patch…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow me to turn off the "Generate scripts" dialog that shows up whenever I alter an object to a new query window

Sometime between 18 and 18.5.1, there was a new dialog box added, and it's slowing me down. Whenever I want to edit a procedure, function or view, I right-click in the object explorer and pick "Script ... as" > "Alter to" > "New Query Editor Window." Now, when I do that, I get a dialog box titled "Creating script for ..." that shows details on the progress of that generation. In the past, it was fast - with the addition of this dialog box, it's much slower.

I looked for a preference to turn it off, but couldn't find one.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Intellisense crashes with index out of range (SSMS 18.X)

In case Intellisense is enabled, but drop down listing is disabled, then Intellisense crashes in case of sql-syntax is incorrect.
    snipp>>
    <entry>

&lt;record&gt;337&lt;/record&gt;

&lt;time&gt;2020/06/26 13:32:59.035&lt;/time&gt;
    &lt;type&gt;Error&lt;/type&gt;
    &lt;source&gt;Editor or Editor Extension&lt;/source&gt;
    &lt;description&gt;System.ArgumentException: Der Wert liegt au&amp;#x00DF;erhalb des erwarteten Bereichs.&amp;#x000D;&amp;#x000A; bei System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)&amp;#x000D;&amp;#x000A; bei RadLangSvc.SqlCompletionSet.GetTextTypedSoFar()&amp;#x000D;&amp;#x000A; bei RadLangSvc.Source.OnCommand(IVsTextView textView, VSStd2KCmdID command, Char ch)&amp;#x000D;&amp;#x000A; bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.ViewFilter.HandlePostExec(Guid&amp;amp; guidCmdGroup, UInt32 nCmdId, UInt32 nCmdexecopt, IntPtr pvaIn, IntPtr pvaOut, Boolean bufferWasChanged)&amp;#x000D;&amp;#x000A; bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.ViewFilter.ExecCommand(Guid&amp;amp; guidCmdGroup, UInt32 nCmdId, UInt32 nCmdexecopt, IntPtr pvaIn, IntPtr pvaOut)&amp;#x000D;&amp;#x000A; bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.ViewFilter.Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IOleCommandTarget.Exec(Guid&amp;amp; guidCmdGroup, UInt32 nCmdId, UInt32 nCmdexecopt, IntPtr pvaIn, IntPtr pvaOut)&amp;#x000D;&amp;#x000A; bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.CommandChainNode.InnerExec(Guid&amp;amp; pguidCmdGroup, UInt32 nCmdID, UInt32 nCmdexecopt, IntPtr pvaIn, IntPtr pvaOut)&amp;#x000D;&amp;#x000A; bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.CommandChainNode.Exec(Guid&amp;amp;
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SSMS v18.5.1 Object error when using Import Flat File

When importing a file via the Import Flat File an Object Error is raised if the file is open in another application. The error does not mention that the file is opened or in use.

On Screen Error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Prose.Import)

BUTTONS:

OK

Stack Trace

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Prose.Import)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Prose.Import.BcpProcess.set_UseSimpleDataType(Boolean value)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Import.Wizard.PreviewPageController.OnActivate()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.TaskForms.SqlWizardPageController.OnFirstActivate()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.TaskForms.SqlWizardPageController.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.TaskForms.ISqlWizardPageController.SetActive()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.TaskForms.ControllerPage.OnSetActive()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlWizardFramework.WizardFramework.ActivatePage(NavigationItem item, NavigationDirection direction)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlWizardFramework.WizardFramework.ActivatePage(Page page, NavigationDirection direction)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlWizardFramework.WizardFramework.GoToPage(Page page)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlWizardFramework.WizardFramework.OnNext()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlWizardFramework.WizardButtonsPanel.OnNext(Object…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Import Data New SQL client When selecting SQL Dataclient the database name is not visible

The text message which is empty below the combobox blocks the database dropdown to be seen.
    Also previously I tought when selecting Import data.. that by default it always was on SQL Dataclient

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Case insensitive issue with aA on collation Danish_Norwegian_CI_AS

• Create a database with collation "DanishNorwegianCI_AS"

• Create a table "TestaA" with columns

• Id (int)

• Name (varchar(max))

• Create a table "Test2aa" with the same columns

• Run the attached queries

• Repeat steps over with collation "Norwegian100CI_AS"

Expected result:
    In a case insensitive collation I would expect a lowercase-a followed by an uppercase-A "aA" to match two uppercase-A's "AA".

Actual result:
    When using collation "DanishNorwegianCI_AS" "AA" will not match "aA". This goes both for table name, column name and even string/text data stored in the database.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SQLCMD is ignoring -D option

It appears to me that the copy of sqlcmd that is distributed in the Linux version of the SQL Server 17 client tools is broken. It ignores the -D flag and takes the DSN as a database name. This worked correctly in the July 2019 (17.4) version and is broken in the March 2020 (17.5) version.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Index Properties dialog shows only first few characters of column name

The dialog that displays index properties is badly formatted when opened. Namely, only the first 2 characters of the column name show. The box has be be widened to see the whole Name. The Sort Order, Data Type and several other fields display at full width.

You can't do anything with the index unless you can see the Name. Having to expand it every time is a nuisance. Please make the Name column wider when the dialog is opened.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base