SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS 18.1 Crashes when Opening a Database Diagram

SSMS 18.1 crashes (and restarts) when opening a database diagram without any error message.

I have created several diagrams from scratch thinking it might have to do with old formatting, but this does not appear to be the case.

You can edit a diagram (adding dozens of tables) with no problem. It is the opening of the diagram that results in the crash.

Latest bits for SSMS and SQL Server 2017 installed today.

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18131.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.1347.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.18362.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.18362.0
    Microsoft .NET…

1,173 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

627 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. bug - string_agg on external table results in "An error occurred while executing GlobalQuery operation: 100001;"

string_agg on external table results in "An error occurred while executing GlobalQuery operation: 100001;Failed to generate query plan."

declare @colList varchar(max) = ''
    select @colList=stringagg(quotename(colname), ',
    ') from dbo.external
    table --external table

on "Microsoft SQL Azure (RTM) - 12.0.2000.8 May 15 2020 00:47:08 Copyright (C) 2019 Microsoft Corporation "

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. GROUPING SETS returns incorrect results

The Query

SELECT Surname,

LEFT(Surname,1) AS SurnameInitial,
    COUNT(*) AS Count
    FROM Queen
    GROUP BY GROUPING SETS ( ( Surname ), (LEFT(Surname,1)) )

Does NOT return the same results as the expanded version

SELECT Surname,

NULL AS SurnameInitial,
    COUNT(*) AS Count
    FROM Queen
    GROUP BY Surname
    UNION ALL
    SELECT NULL AS Surname,
    LEFT(Surname,1) AS SurnameInitial,
    COUNT(*) AS Count
    FROM Queen
    GROUP BY LEFT(Surname,1)

Details here https://dba.stackexchange.com/a/267196/3690

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SSMS 15.0.18330.0 import bacpac failed

With the latest SSMS 15.0.18330.0 I'm unable to restore an Azure SQL Bacpac, error is triggered when "Importing datase".

If I try to get more details (clicking on the "Error" link), I get an NRE :

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql)

at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.SqlDeploymentPlanGenerator.DeploymentScriptDomGenerator.GenerateFragment(Int32 operation, IModelElement element)
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.SqlDeploymentPlanGenerator.DeploymentScriptDomGenerator.GenerateSteps(Int32 operation, IModelElement element)
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.OrderedStepGenerator.Add(DeploymentScriptDomGenerator scriptDom, IModelElement element, Int32 operation)
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.Analyzers.PlanMediator.BuildDependencyOrderedSteps(Int32 operation, List1 classOrder, List1 operationOrder, Dictionary2 changes, Boolean preserveGraphs, Dictionary2& relating, Dictionary2& related)
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.Analyzers.PlanMediator.BuildOperations()
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.SqlDeploymentPlanGenerator.OnGeneratePlan()
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.SqlDeploymentPlanGenerator.GeneratePlan(List
    1 drops)
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Deployment.SqlDeployment.BuildPlan() …

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Matteo Taveggia responded

Thanks for reporting this issue. I may have to reach out to the DacFx Team.

Would you be able to share the bacpac with us, perhaps on OneDrive or equivalent? I do understand that it may contain sensitive information and may not be an option for you.

Thanks,
    -Matteo

5. SSMS 18.4 SQLServer 2019 CU2 Object explorer fails for SQLAgent

After applicting CU2 on SQLServer 2019, SSMS18.4 fails to show SQLAgent jobs via object browser.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

For help, click: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 0)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&ProdVer=15.00.4013&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=0&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Error when connecting to SSAS via msmdpump.dll in SSMS 18.5

Hi,

We have an SSAS instance with https access configured via msmdpump.dll. In 18.4 connection works fine, but in 18.5 it gives following error:

Cannot connect to https://myserver/OLAP/msmdpump.dll.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

String reference not set to an instance of a String.
    Parameter name: s (mscorlib)

Could you check what is the reason?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Replication Monitor no longer automatically connects to publisher in 18.5

Since upgrading to SSMS 18.5, replication monitor no longer automatically connects to the publisher. I have to manually go into the publisher properties every time and manually connect. SQL Server 2016.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. msodbcsql on Linux does not work with CP932

Latest version 17.5.2.1 of msodbcsql on Linux does not work with CP932.
    It worked with 17.4.1.1 before upgraded to 17.5.2.1

We want to use the latest version of the driver, but Japanese charctors corruption is one of the big blokking issue to keep update.
    If this issue can't be fix, we can't upgrade anymore. It means we can't use new feature and fix, also supportability issue also happen because of old version in the future.
    That's why we really urge to have a chance to verify if the charactors also work before the relase new version.
    Here is the detail…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Manual failover without data loss not working in SQL2019

We have setup two Linux SQL2019 CU3 instances on Ubuntu with HA enabled and I get an error when I execute: ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [ag6x52] SET (ROLE = SECONDARY); to manually failover over to the secondary replica.

The message is:
    Msg 41104, Level 16, State 5, Line 1
    Failover of the availability group to the local replica failed because the availability group resource did not come online due to a previous error.

My AG is as follows

Create AVAILABILITY GROUP ag6x52
    WITH (CLUSTER_TYPE = NONE )
    FOR REPLICA ON
    N'sql52' WITH (

ENDPOINT_URL = N'tcp://172.16.6.52:5022',

AVAILABILITY_MODE = SYNCHRONOUS_COMMIT,
    FAILOVER_MODE =
    8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SQL Server 2019: Seeing a lot more SCH_M locks vs same load on SQL 2017.

Went to SQL 2019 on multiple servers and we are seeing a lot more blockings. Lock type is SCHM. We are seeing where 2 selects are involved and blocking each other with SCHM lock taken. We stayed on compatibility level of 140 due to some bugs in 150.

waitresource="METADATA: databaseid = 61 METADATACACHE($hash = 0x2284b6b:0x0), lockPartitionId = 0"

transactionname="CMEDCacheEntryFactory::FindOrCre"

lockMode="Sch-M"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. BCP always adds a row delimiter after 2022 chars and has a bug when declaring an empty row delimiter

There are a couple of bugs in BCP that don't allow you to extract a proper formatted JSON (or XML) file. In details:

• BCP always adds a row delimiter after 2022 chars

• BCP uses 63.502 white spaces (0x20) as row delimiter using -c if you pass an empty row delimiter (-r). So you'll find 63.502 white space after 2022 chars and at the end of the string.

• BCP uses 63.502 combinations of chars 0x20 and 0x00 as row delimiter using -w if you pass an empty row delimiter (-r). So you'll find 63.502 white space after 2022 chars and at…
    8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SSMS 18.4 left and right arrow keys don't work in criteria pane

When focused in a box in the criteria pane, the left and right arrow keys don't work. They have worked in previous iterations and up and down arrows still work.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Using SQL Azure: DateTime2 comparison on timestamp_utc for the fn_xe_telemetry_blob_target_read_file function does not seem to function corr

Using SQL Azure: DateTime2 comparison on the [timestamputc] file for the sys.fnxetelemetryblobtargetread_file function does not seem to function correctly.

If I query for data in the current century, nothing is returned - I only get data when I ask for data in the distant past.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Import Data New SQL client When selecting SQL Dataclient the database name is not visible

The text message which is empty below the combobox blocks the database dropdown to be seen.
    Also previously I tought when selecting Import data.. that by default it always was on SQL Dataclient

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. bcp -G Option not working as described

Description:

Azure Active Directory Integrated

For Azure Active Directory Integrated authentication, provide the -G option without a user name or password. This configuration assumes that the current Windows user account (the account the bcp command is running under) is federated with Azure AD.

This is not working. If you don't provide a username: you get the error:

SQLState = FA004, NativeError = 0
    Error = [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Failed to authenticate the user '' in Active Directory (Authentication option is 'ActiveDirectoryIntegrated').
    Error code 0x800401F0; state 10
    CoInitialize has not been called.

If you provide user and password…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Enable SSIS Double Hop authentication to work with Windows Defender Credential Guard

Windows Defender Credential Guard enabled machines only allow Kerberos Constrained delegation. SSIS double hop authentication will not work with either full delegation or constrained delegation once Credential Guard is enabled. Connecting to an Integration Services catalog server and executing a package from a Credential Guard enabled client will fail with “NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON”.

Enabling SSIS to work with constrained delegation is imperative for us since the Credential Guard security feature is enabled in our environment and I am certain that many out there are dealing with the same issue.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. SQL Package on linux looks for dacpac external dacpacs with UPPCASE filenames regardless of the original

When restoring a dacpac that references another dacpac (linked server) sqlpackage expect that the filename is DATABASE.DACPAC regardless of what the original filename was.

Replication steps:
    Create 2 projects of type SQL Server Database projects in visual studio, use title case DatabaseOne DatabaseTwo
    Add a database reference from DatabaseOne to DatabaseTwo
    Build Grab the outputted dacpac files
    On a Linux machine / container use sqlpackage to restore the dacpac of DatabaseOne.dacpac

Expected
    DatabaseOne and DatebaseTwo are published

Actual
    sqlpackage fails looking for \original path\DATABASETWO.DACPAC

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Cannot script external table in SSMS 18.2

I receive the error message attached when trying to script an external table in SQL Azure in SSMS 18.2.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  17 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Unable to deploy SSIS packages from Visual Studio 2017 (15.8.0)

The latest version of Visual Studio 2017 (15.8.0) appears to have introduced a bug preventing deployment of SSIS project files.

When attempting to connect to a server the deployment wizard returns the following error:

TITLE: SQL Server Integration Services

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IntegrationServicesEnum, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)) (mscorlib)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG)) (mscorlib)

BUTTONS:

OK

463 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  94 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. SSMS 18.0 tabs don't display proper contents

I'm getting this CONSTANTLY on my new install of SSMS 18.0, and it's DANGEROUS. I'll open several tabs, and when I switch from one tab to another, the contents of the window don't change... I'm still looking at the old tab's contents with the new tab selected. It doesn't ALWAYS happen, but it happens at least half the time... FREQUENTLY. Further, I can close a tab, and the contents of the closed tab will still display under the new "top most" tab. This can lead to making changes to the wrong file, or being confused, and losing code. This is…

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 266 267
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base