Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make it updatable automatically without having to download new version everytime

it is annoying to see eg. visual studio able to update itself without going to any website and management studio not. Why SQL management studio cant update itself without having to go to web and download new version from browser?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make a native macOS app

For microsoft to make a native SSMS application for macOS

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Always allow offline installs

My organization allows me to download and run the installer for SQL Server, but will not open the firewall ports required by SQL Server to allow a network install. I'd just like to install the developer edition locally, but because I can't disconnect the internet and I can't disable the firewalls, the offline install page option is not available to me.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. SQL Server 2019 RTM - Offline Components

Offline installation of ML components (in the installer and in the GDR patches) take too long to time out looking for updates on the internet before allowing you to pick a local location for the CAB files. No one in their right mind installs their database server with access to the internet anymore - please update tools to expect offline installs.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. GUI/tool for SQL server login management in Azure SQL Server

GUI/tool for SQL server login management in Azure SQL Server.. Right now, The logins are created through T-SQL and having a GUI to check the access perms will be a great way to reduce effort on running queries.

It will also help in having at a glance experience as well for all the access management.

It would be great to have a property exposed in the azure portal for the same to everything can be viewed from the portal.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Install Management Studio without forcing install of SQL Server

Why does every link that allows me to install SQL Server Management studio also force me to install the Full SQL Server.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server-2017

I just need the Management Studio.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SQL Server Installer Deletes MS_AgentSigningCertificate.cer When Done

The SQL Server installer leaves an apparently unnecessary MSAgentSigningCertificate.cer file in the Windows folder with the files for the [msdb] database. Later, when upgrading a server, it can be confusing as to whether the MSAgentSigningCertificate.cer file should come along to the upgrade/repaired server.
    Research indicates that the file is not needed after installation.

The SQL Server installer should delete this file if it is not needed after installation. Otherwise, the SQL Server documentation should contain information about the file and how it should and should not be used.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/56bfad33-26e0-4738-9a9d-d0022447c53f/can-we-delete-msagentsigningcertificatecer

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Stretch DB support for XML data types

Please add XML data type support for Stretch DB.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) have configurable default for 'Encrypt Connection'

We want to have our users connect to the database via encrypted connections, but we can't force encryption due to performance problems with our app servers.

We want the connection default options in SQL Server Management Studio of 'Encrypt Connection' and 'Trust Server Certificate' to be configurable in such a way that myself as an IT admin can set it for my users.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. check for updates

Allow admins to disable SSMS update checks via per-machine registry key or by command-line at time of install.

At present, it is only per-user at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio\14.0\UpdateChecker" Enabled=False (REG_SZ), but Dev users don't run user policy.

Please do this for v17 and the upcoming v18.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Installer does not show correct Visual Studio 2017 instances

I have both VS 2017 15.7 and VS 2017 15.8 Preview 1 installed. The installer shows them both as just VS 2017 so there is no way to tell which instance it will be installed to.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. make sql server management studio as plugin for visual studio

It make sense for the customer that use Visual Studio to be able to atach the management studio as plugin for visual studio and not install , for ex. the vs2015 again just for that. For standalone makes sense.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. App Service - IP restrictions: rule name/description

It would be nice to be able to enter a name/description for each rule, similarly to "rule name" in SQL server Firewall settings.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. [SSAS] Support msbuild as a mechanism for deploying SSAS cubes/models

The Microsoft development ecosystem uses msbuild as its build/deployment mechanism yet the SQL Server team's support is sadly lacking.
    The engine team have gone a long way to supporting msbuild through the provision of .dacpacs & SSDT database projects yet the SSIS/SSAS/SSRS teams are still lagging way behind. The teams that I work on embrace msbuild and Continuous Integration as a way to deploy their projects but getting these BI components work in the same way is very very hard.

Can I also suggest that you adopt the .dacpac/.ispac approach of the DB/SSIS teams respectively by providing a (say) .aspac…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 65

<=-=Dec 7 2012 8:43AM=-=>

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your feedback, we will look into this issue for a future release.

Thanks,
    Kasper de Jonge
    Analysis services team

<=-=Oct 5 2015 4:49AM=-=>

This is a major gap in our build and deploy automation.

<=-=Nov 22 2016 7:50PM=-=>

As far as I am aware this gap stll exists in TFS 2015, and I haven’t been able to determine whether it still exists in 2017. Is it still the case, now 4 years later, that Microsoft tools are unable to build and deploy Microsoft solutions?

15. SSRS Report Builder does not supports custom data source extensions Organization ID: 1277145

Organization ID: 1277145
    Organization Name: SourceCode � K2.net Workflow

We have been unable to setup the required configuration to enable our data provider to work with the report builder. I see from this post that its implementation is scheduled for R2:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlkjreportingservices/thread/a1742ed2-6b92-4d0c-82cd-15928fa7e7ef

This post shows the same issue we encounter:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/6d79b57f-70d7-4be1-81a8-491f4095749c/

Reponse from microsoft support: [REG:109102761762060]
    This is tentatively schedule for SQL 2008 R2 as well but is in danger of getting cut due to time and complexity. Please file a request for the functionality via our Connect site to keep the demand push on for the functionality.

Please see…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 15

<=-=Mar 23 2011 12:08PM=-=>

Is this going to be implemented?
    Unless I’m missing something, this is something really easy to implement. You just need to implement the IQueryDesigner interface as is available in BIDS. The Custom Query Designer instantiates in it’s own windows so that you don’t even have to handle complex interactions.
    I must admit I can’t see why after being postponed from RB 2 to RB 3, it is still not implemented.
    This would be very helpful for customers using custom data extension to be able to use RB instead of having to install BIDS.

<=-=May 29 2012 9:50AM=-=>

Any update on this?

<=-=Nov 8 2012 5:35AM=-=>

Unless I’m missing something, the workaround has nothing do to with the problem..
    Could someone remove it as this could be misleading for someone reading this information.

16. Database backup Verifications fail when using AG

I have 2 VMware VMs , each running Windows Server 2012 R2 and a standalone instance of SQL 2012 Enterprise SP1 CU7.
    I used the Maintenance Plan Wizard to create Back Up Database plans. These instances have AG setup between them. One is primary and the other secondary.

Running the plan fails on the primary, but works on the secondary. Performing a failover, and the same results. The new primary fails while the new secondary succeeds.

I think I know why. Looking at the T-SQL code is generates:

Code
    EXECUTE master.dbo.xpcreatesubdir N'K:&lt;path>\TestDB1'
    GO
    DECLARE @preferredReplica int

SET @preferredReplica…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=May 24 2014 3:39AM=-=>

Same problem as:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/802286/database-backup-maintenance-plan-fails-on-backup-verify-when-running-on-an-availability-group-primary-replica#tabs

Let’s concentrate the efforts there.

<=-=Jul 9 2015 7:31PM=-=>

I agree that there’s an issue with the code. The verify should not take place if there was no backup file created.

I should be able to use the exact same configuration within the maintenance plan wizard on each of the replicas.

17. Upgrading a database using dacpac and sqlpackage.exe create wrong scripts and fails upgrade

Note: This problem is initially reported directly to support, but they said that I should create a connect ticket on it.

We have currently databases created using SSDT and DACPAC which we in the next version of our product we want to move a lot of tables to views to avoid double persistence of data. But, when we try to upgrade the existing database with the new dacpac the script generated incorrectly places creation of INSTEAD OF triggers before the creation of the view that they belongs to, so the upgrade fails. If we execute the deploy once on the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SSAS Actions & Multi-select filters

Hello,

Here is our setup:
    - Database : SQL2008
    - Data Warehouse : SQL2012
    - BI : SSAS 2012

When we work on a cube in Excel using PivotTables we come accross an annoying limitation:
    SSAS Actions (DrillTrough, URL Actions etc...) do not show up if we filter our PivotTable on multiple Items.

This blog post suggests that it is a known limitation of SSAS:
    https://cwebbbi.wordpress.com/2009/10/26/actions-and-multiselect/

This is really, really, really affecting user-adoption.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Aug 23 2016 3:47PM=-=>

Hello Bennnnnnnnnnn,
    This issue has been addressed in Excel 2016 and Analysis Services 2016. For example, see Chris Webb�s article �Drillthrough On Multiselect Now Works In Excel 2016 And SSAS 2016� (https://www.toadworld.com/platforms/sql-server/b/weblog/archive/2015/10/05/drillthrough-on-multiselect-now-works-in-excel-2016-and-ssas-2016).
    Best,
    The Analysis Services Team

19. Audit rollover files are not being deleted

We have setup SQL Server Audit with the "TO FILE" output option and the "MAXROLLOVERFILES" parameter. The audit data is being read via select from the sys.fngetauditfile() function. The number of audit files always starts exceeding the "MAXROLLOVERFILES" threshold as at the rollover event the files are locked at times by the select from sys.fngetauditfile() and the SQL Server engine fails to delete the oldest audit file. What is a recommended way of setting up SQL Server Audit, so there is no interference with the audit data read operations?

We…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jan 22 2017 5:27AM=-=>

Thank you for taking time to post this issue.

The workaround suggested in the above description is indeed viable and coincides with our proposed solution. 

Unfortunately, we do not plan to include a fix for this issue in the upcoming release. We might consider including it as an improvement in a future release.

20. SQL Server 2017 RC 2 installation fails if Visual C++ 2015 redist is already installed

While trying to install SQL Server 2017 RC 2 Developer Edition on a Windows 10 clean image (VMware Workstation 12) that has Visual C++ 2015 redist (version 14.0.24215) already installed, the installation of the Database Engine Services and Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search components (and likely others) fails with the message:

Error installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
    VS Shell installation has failed with exit code 1638.
    Error code: 1638
    Log file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20170808231223\VCRuntime140x64Cpu641.log
    Visithttps://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=14.0.900.75&EvtType=VCRuntime140_x64%40Install%400x1638 to get help on troubleshooting.

The version of the VC++ 2015 redist files in the ISO…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Aug 17 2017 11:03AM=-=>

Hello,

There is detection logic in sql setup and if version in “Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\VC\Runtimes” is 14.0.23506.0 or higher the setup skips installing VC runtime. We tried installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 and then tried SQL Server 2017 RC2 and the installation worked. Can you please attach the entire setup logs folder at: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20170808_231223 and the vc runtime registry keys at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\VC\Runtimes

Thanks.

<=-=Aug 23 2017 12:11PM=-=>

Submitted
    1. screen shot of error message during install
    2. VC++ registry keys
    3. Full logs from SQL Server setup

<=-=Aug 24 2017 1:17PM=-=>

Hello,
    Are the registry VC++ registry keys from 64-bit or 32-bit hive? Can you also attach the registry dump from this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\VC\Runtimes\x64

Thank you

<=-=Aug 28 2017 1:46PM=-=>

Hi,
    Now we’re on to something… the VC++ version numbers in the WOW6432Node don’t match…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base