Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to Change Timezone at SQL Instance Level

As SQL Server Consolidation gains stream it is conceivable that we will like to host SQL instances on same machine with different Time Zone Requirements. Being able to set Timezone at the Instance level will thus allow us to set individual Timezone setting for each hosted SQL Server Instance.

Also, as Cloud Deployments increases and access to OS Settings such as Time Zone Setting is shielded away from the Administrator, significant Code development changes at the Client & Database layer may significantly delay or prohibit Cloud Deployment plans.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Rename ReportServer & ReportServerTempDb databases

With an existing SSRS deployment, renaming the ReportServer & ReportServerTempDb databases is not straightforward.

When the ReportServer database is initially created & named, it is created with hard-coded references to the ReportServerTempDb.

If you ever need to consolidate two same-named ReportServer databases to a single SQL instance, you need to change
    the name of one pair of DBs, which requires altering objects to update the references to the new-named ReportServerTempDb
    Ex:
    http://sql-articles.com/reporting-services/how-to-rename-your-existing-report-server-database/

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. SQL Server 2008 'Remove Agent History' UI misleading

In SQL Server 2008 SSMS, the SQL Server Agent properties has an option 'Remove Agent History' on the History page indicated by a checkbox. However, selecting this option is a 1 time execution of the sppurgejobhistory, which is confusing because the checkbox is predominantly used elsewhere in SQL Server to indicate a permanent setting change, not a single-use action. In fact, on that very same page, there is a check box for 'Limit size of job history log' which is a permanent setting.

Though it appears that the name of the this option has been changed from 2005…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Jul 10 2009 8:23AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback; this is a known issue and I’ve closed your bug as a duplicate of the work item we are tracking to fix this issue in our next major release.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

<=-=Jul 29 2009 10:11AM=-=>

I wholeheartedly agree with the above comments. It’s very confusing, especially if one hasn’t consulted BOL, and why would I consult BOL when it seems so evident. Thanks!

<=-=Jan 24 2011 12:27PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback on this issue. Our team analyzed what it would take to fix this, and, unfortunately, the bug didn’t meet our criteria for the next release. There are several workarounds available. Please refer to the SQL Agent blog for an explanation of the behavior. The link to the blos is here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlagent/archive/2011/01/19/sql-agent-quick-tip-deleting-history.aspx

4. have updates work the same way they work in VS Code

every time that there is an update to this tool you have to manually go to a webpage, then download the update, then manually install the new version. VS Code for example updates itself without a separate agent like Visual Studio.

Would be possible to have SSMS to update the same way that VS Code does?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Updating SSMS should be seamlessly

Updating SSMS should be seamlessly, from inside SSMS itself, like Visual Studio 2019 does.

when SSMS suggest there is a new update, it points you to a web to download and install an installer. But this installer seams to not recognize that SSMS is already installed so it should only patch, instead of reinstall everything.

I think all the process of updating should copy Visual Studio approach.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Serverless startup times

For serverless applications --
    Needs MUCH faster startup times, or tools to diagnose/identity slow connection times when triggered from a cold serverless function/app start.
    The ability to parallel query a "is it running check" very early, ideally concurrently with the serverless host-os container being warmed up. (So the database is online by the time the function loads)

Also the ability to idle the server out faster than 1 hour (10 minutes of inactivity).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Error Installing MSSQL Server 2017 14.0.3370.1-18 on Centos 7:

Error Installing MSSQL Server 2017 14.0.3370.1-18 on Centos 7:

This is the error I am getting with "yum update":

Total download size: 179 M
    Is this ok [y/d/N]: y
    Downloading packages:
    Delta RPMs disabled because /usr/bin/applydeltarpm not installed.
    mssql-server-14.0.3370.1-18.x8664.rpm | 179 MB 00:00:03
    Running transaction check
    Running transaction test
    Transaction test succeeded
    Running transaction
    Updating : mssql-server-14.0.3370.1-18.x86
    64 1/2
    Error unpacking rpm package mssql-server-14.0.3370.1-18.x8664
    error: unpacking of archive failed on file /opt/mssql/lib/system.netfx.sfp;5ffeee30: cpio: read
    mssql-server-14.0.3356.20-23.x86
    64 was supposed to be removed but is not!
    Verifying : mssql-server-14.0.3356.20-23.x8664 1/2
    Verifying : mssql-server-14.0.3370.1-18.x86
    64 2/2

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. fatal error while installing 0x80070643

I wanted to install SSMS 18.8 release and the installation failed showing me the error " fatal error while installing 0x80070643". The error indicates to me that there's an error with Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client installer package and a DLL required to complete the installation could not be run.
    How can I solve this ?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Can we include, all the Best Practices check As part of SQL sever Install and Produce a report like warning

Is it Possible to Check the - Alighnment, Disk parameters, And also Power settings, Etc and Give a warning or Green or Red with the Respective best practice. For SQL server.

And Also Install Some default Extended event traces - That can be enabled.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. error on conecting

Hi, when i tried to conect it gives me this error.
    i dont have services sql on services of windows., how can i resolve this
    thanks

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to localhost.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=2&LinkId=20476

O…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. ODBC Driver for Fedora

Please add a ODBC driver package for Fedora Linux. Fedora is officially supported in other Microsoft projects such as .Net Core, PowerShell and VS Code.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please post the SHA256 hash of the SSMS download

Please post the SHA256 hash of the SSMS download

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I can't connect to my local server

Hello,

I'm having a problems connecting to my local server on my laptop when i click on connect it gives me a error message and i really need to practice SQL for school exercises would love to have some help, i'm putting the message that it keeps giving me below

===================================

Cannot connect to LAPTOP-S5E7PHO2\SQLEXPRESS.

===================================

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error:…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. ACABOU MEU LIMITE EM DO BANCO DE DADOS, SQL SERVER 2012 EXPRESS.

Prezados bom dia, estou enfrentando um erro com o meu BD, meu BD já atingiu 10 GB, como meu SQL estúdio está na versão server 2012 express,e esta estância e limitada, gostaria de saber se tem como atualizar minha versão para uma estancia sem limitações.
    Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.GRELBATCH'.'PKGRELBATCH' in database '............' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. SSMS self update/installation

It would be nice if SSMS 18 not only checked for updates, but could also start the download/installation. Currently it prompts me that a new version is available and then opens a web-browser to show me.

The problem is that I then need to scan the web page looking for the proper download link. When a week has gone by the download announcement is no longer the first entry on the blog. Scroll scroll scroll.

Other versions of VS directly launch an updater.

It would be even nicer if it updated behind the scenes and prompted me to restart to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SQL server 2019 installation fails with error 1639

The SQL server 2019 installation fails, please help with the issue

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. SSMS 18.5 Generating Scripts

I noticed in version 18.5 that when I edit a view by choosing right click the view - script view - alter to - new sql window, it generates a change script (see attached). I am not aware I turned on this feature and I can't figure out how to turn it off. I have ssms Options - Table Designer - Tracking unchecked so I don't know where else to look. I uninstalled and reverted back to 18.1 and 18.4 and the change script code doesn't run before the view comes up to alter in the sql window so I…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add support of BTRFS

Would love to see the support of btrfs while using the mssql on Linux (Docker) to mount /var/opt/mssql/data on my nas formated with btrfs.

Thanks

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Deny SQL Server Deployment if no Virtual Network associated with it

Currently when working with Azure Policies, there are the following effects (among others)

Deny
    AuditIfNotExists
    DeployIfNotExists

Unfortunately, the concept of DenyIfNotExists does not exist, and so when you have a resource like Azure SQL, which has related resources that don't count as properties (like TDE and VirtualNetworkRules), there is currently no way to Deny the creation of the SQL server, potentially exposing your data.

You can put an AuditIfNotExist or a DeployIfNotExists, but you can't block the deployment and really inform the team responsible that their ARM templates are not valid.

If the logic is already available when auditing, or…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. DDL VS DML

When has the Truncate table changed to be a DML operation? I think truncate table was always a DDL operation. Microsoft document listed Truncate table as a DML operation. Can anybody explain?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base