Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS R17 - Installation package is not supported by this processor type

Currently running SQL Server 2016 Management Studio (13.0.15700.28) on an office machine (Windows 10 Pro, 32-bit) and attempting to install the recent 17.0 release of SQL Server Management Studio.

However, the installation produces a message:
    "Setup Failed
    This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor (0x80070661)"

A log file is also produced, which can be provided if required.

Having researched the error, it appears that 0x80070661 is consistent with installing a 64-bit program to a 32-bit OS, yet I've never had an issue with this before and SSMS actually pointed me to this update…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Rows were detected error message during deployment

Can we PLEASE get the table name added to the error message:
    IF EXISTS (select top 1 1 from [schema].[table])
    RAISERROR (N'Rows were detected. The schema update is terminating because data loss might occur.', 16, 127) WITH NOWAIT

It is so difficult to track down which table is involved when there are many.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Db diagram Add Table dialog window hung

The following issue occurs with any version of SSMS v17.x, including v17.3, which is the current version at the time of this post. I'm running the following setup:
    * Client PC: Windows 10 Pro v1709 (OS Build 16299.19)
    * Server: Windows Server 2012 R2 v6.3 (build 9600)
    * SQL Server 2016 (RTM) v13.0.1601.5 (X64)

When creating a new database diagram and the Add Table dialog displays, setting focus back on the SSMS main window causes you not to be able to set focus back on the Add Table dialog window.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. SQL Server 2017 Linux CU1 - MODIFY FILE encountered operating system error 31

Hello,

I have a "VMWare 6.5 - RHEL 7.4" machine that I have installed "SQL Server 2017 Linux CU1" and I created a "Linux Linear Volume", see steps at the bottom, when I try to restore a database backup in the "Linear Volume" I got the error below.

/*
    Msg 5149, Level 16, State 3, Line 6
    MODIFY FILE encountered operating system error 31(A device attached to the system is not functioning.) while attempting to expand the physical file '/sqldata/mssqldata/defense/defenseData_01.MDF'.
    Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 6
    RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    */

I was able to…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. SSRS Migration in Standard Edition assumes Enterprise Only scale-out deployment

This is a result of resolving Incident ID 117020315271544. In trying to follow published documentation on migration an existing SSRS environment in 2008R2 to 2016, both Standard Edition, I became stuck and unable to proceed without Microsoft Support. As I didn't want to lose all my encrypted data (passwords for data sources, etc), I followed the published steps to backup and restore my encryption key. When I did this, I could not connect to my report instance without getting an error. When looking in the log for the details of the error it stated that I was attempting to perform…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. AG Failover tasks

Whenever we have our several AGs failover from one datacenter to the other, we are having to manually go in and disable the jobs on the newly secondary node and enable them on the now primary nodes. When you have many AGs and many jobs, this becomes onerous and leaves room for error when someone forgets or misses a job, etc. There should be an automated way for SQL agent to recognize that the database is primary (enable the jobs) or secondary (disable the jobs) with the ability to exclude jobs in the setup/configuration

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Report Settings and Subscriptions in SSRS Project

We have many reports with different subscriptions and execution settings that are tested in QA and published to Production. However only the report can be deployed and all the other settings must be done manually. This is cumbersome and prone to manual error. It is also redundant to setup the new subscription when a QA version is done. Adding these setting to the project would allow better testing and because it could be source controlled in TFS, better change tracking.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Upgrade from SQL Server Express 2008 SP3 to SQL Server Express 2014 fails

When running the SQL Server 2014 Express setup file and selecting upgrade options, an error was received that one of the files 86eda.msi is missing in the installer cache folder and the process could not be completed. The computer is running Windows 7 64 bit.

Looking at the installer file folder we found that the files existed.

We tried the solution suggested on the web in the following link and it didn't work.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/969052/how-to-restore-the-missing-windows-installer-cache-files-and-resolve-problems-that-occur-during-a-sql-server-update#%2Fen-gb%2Fkb%2F969052

Eventually we were able to recover by removing all SQL Server components, a long process which involved messing up with registry keys and running command lines…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. DacPac dropping tables although the do not drop table property is set to true

I renamed all columns (where all columns allowed NULL values) on a table.
    The DacPac deployment than drops the table and recreate the table although the do not drop table property is set to true.

The BlockOnPossibleDataLoss property is set to false, because I want to allowed table columns that not required a drop and recreate to alter. Like I wont to set the datatype from int to varchar where a drop and recreate not be needed.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Find a way to support deploy-time customization for object identifiers

We have a need to customize object identifiers at deployment time. Other people
    have asked for this:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback/Details/523270
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback/Details/757343

but in both cases, the connect item was closed without discussion or really any
    attempt to better understand the request, and post-closure followup comments
    were not acknowledged.

Our specific need is to include 'Login (Windows auth)' and 'User' schema objects
    in SSDT projects. Currently it is not possible to do this unless the domain part of
    '[<domain><user>]' is known at design time. This is never the case if we want to
    map a login to a local Windows account, so we're…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SQL 2017 Installation failed

Overall summary:
    Final result: Failed: see details below
    Exit code (Decimal): -2068052378
    Start time: 2017-10-08 16:58:26
    End time: 2017-10-08 17:02:14
    Requested action: Install

Setup completed with required actions for features.
    Troubleshooting information for those features:
    Next step for SQLEngine: Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.

Machine Properties:
    Machine name: DESKTOP-O2FITSH
    Machine processor count: 4
    OS version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (10.0.15063)
    OS service pack:

OS region: United States
    OS language: English (United States)
    OS architecture: x64
    Process architecture: 64 Bit
    OS clustered: No

Product features discovered:
    Product Instance Instance ID Feature…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Oct 19 2017 7:25AM=-=>

SQL 2017 using Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable, VC2017redist is a in-place update for VC2015redist, SQL 2017 seems cannot recognize VC2017redist now… So you can uninstall VC2017redist first and then install SQL2017…

<=-=Oct 19 2017 7:27AM=-=>

This issue still exists in the any edition of SQL 2017 RTM version

<=-=Oct 19 2017 9:47AM=-=>

But when I install SQL2017 in another machine with VC2017redist, this issue doesn’t appear

<=-=Oct 30 2017 10:14PM=-=>

I also encountered this issue when I tried to install sql server 2017 RC1 Express, and solved it by uninstall vc++ 2017 redistributable.

12. SSMS 17.2, (and 17.1 and 16.5.3) won't print SQL in Landscape, lose margins on restart

When printing SQL tabs in SSMS 17.2 (and 17.1 and 16.5.3), the Orientation in the "Page Setup" dialog is ignored - both "Portrait" and "Landscape" print out as Portrait. In addition, the Margins get reset whenever SSMS closes and gets reopened.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Deploy Database to AzureSQL OutOfMemoryException was thrown

I'm exporting appox 8 GB big database from Sql Server 2016 to Azure sql using Sql Server Management Studio v . I tried Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 14.0.17099.0 with Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.14393.0.

There is a table of 6 GB size full of blobs. While importing it I got:

===================================

Data plan execution failed with message One or more errors occurred. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.Deployment.PlanExecutor.Execute(DeploymentPlan plan, SqlConnectionFactory connectionFactory, Boolean isAzureTarget, LoggingContext loggingContext, CancellationToken cancelToken)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.DeployOperation.UpdateDatabaseData(LoggingContext loggingContext, CancellationToken token)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.DeployOperation.<>cDisplayClass14.<>cDisplayClass16.<CreatePlanExecutionOperation>b13()
    at Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Dac.OperationLogger.Capture(Action action)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.DeployOperation.<>c
    DisplayClass14.<CreatePlanExecutionOperation>b__12(Object operation, CancellationToken token)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.Operation.Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.IOperation.Run(OperationContext context)…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. changing MSSQLSERVER log on account in SCCM needs to warn about AG ownership

We recently had to change the account that runs MSSQLSERVER for an AG setup. We used SCCM and this changed the permissions as expected but we discovered the AG would not synchronize because the new account did not have permission to the hadr endpoint.
    When SCCM changes the MSSQLSERVER log on account it should check for the existence of AG's and give a warning message as it won't make the permission change.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. msdb comptability level 130 on SQL Server 2017

Hello,

We notice that msdb comptabilitylevel is 130 and not 140 on SQL Server 2017.
    Do you know why ? What kind of issue might occur ?
    After search, deploy CU1 cause this issue :
    However, looking in the install logs, we find:
    \server\c$\Program Files\ Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20171103
    090502\MSSQLSERVER\sqlSupportCpu641.log (1 hit)
    Line 32: MSI (s) (4C: 38) [09: 05: 49: 711]: APPCOMPAT: Compatibility mode property overrides found.
    \server\c$\Program Files\ Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20171103090502 \SQLServerERRORLOG2017-11-03T09.06.43.txt (129 hits)
    Line 85: 2017-11-03 09: 06: 28.62 spid6s Setting database option COMPATIBILITY
    LEVEL to 100 for database 'msdb'.…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SSRS subscription date parameters

It's difficult to setup subscriptions with date parameters to work as expected. Usually we have to modify code in underlying stored procs for default values, but this isn't quite flexible and not a good end-user solution.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Segmentation fault on Ubuntu 16.04 when running bcp against an Azure SQL database.

Hi. I�m getting segmentation fault on Ubuntu 16.04 when running bcp against an Azure SQL database.

I�ve installed SQL Server Tools on Linux as described here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/linux/sql-server-linux-setup-tools#ubuntu

Segmentation fault examples:

bcp mytable out myfile.csv -c -t �;� -U myuser -P mypass -S myserver.database.secure.windows.net -d mydatabase
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

or

bcp mytable out myfile.csv -U myuser -P mypass -S myserver.database.secure.windows.net -d mydatabase
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Version

bcp -v
    BCP � Bulk Copy Program for Microsoft SQL Server.
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    Version: 13.0.0001.0

Running bcp via gdb

(gdb) run
    Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    gdb…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Mar 6 2017 11:35AM=-=>

We are investigating this issue. Can you help answer the following quesitons?
    1.) What platform are you using?
    2.) What dirver manager are you using by running the command => odbcinst �j?
    3.) Run a �ldd� to get the dependencies of the driver and the bcp binaries? (ldd `which bcp`, ls -l `which bcp`, ldd /opt/microsoft/msodbcsql/lib64/libmsodbcsql-13.0.so.1.0)

Thanks,
    Meet

18. SSRS 2016 SP1 CU3 KPI dataset refresh sometimes fails

i have setup an KPI using a dataset for the KPI value and another dataset for the KPI trend. the datasets use a shared schedule to expire the cache and another shared schedule to refresh the cache one hour later. This all worked fine for several month with CU2. But now without having touched the dadatsets or KPIs the KPIs are sometimes not refreshed. They don't show the latest values from the database. We went from SSRS 2016 SP1 CU2 to SSRS 2016 SP1 CU3. I think the KPIs don't refresh stable since applying the CU3. Currently I can't uninstall…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SSRS Report Subscription Schedules: Extend support to cover more SQL Agent Job scheudle options (e.g. intra-day schedules)

The schedules options available in Report Manager for setting up a report subscription in reporting services are a subset of the schedule options available to be defined on a SQL Agent Job - this makes sense as the subscription schedules are in fact realised by SSRS via creation of a SQL Agent Job.
    It would be great if report subscription schedule options in Report Manager supported the SAME capabilities as the SQL Agent Job schedules.
    One obvious gap between these is the ability to setup an intra-day subscription schedule. For example: setting up a subscription to run on "every 15…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Mobile Reports Server Must have local IP Address configured in order to work (Windows Auth)

When Using Mobile Reports Server with default Windows Authentication. We use an SSL Cert and a specific Domain Name to access the report server.

However, we MUST leave the computer's local (not public) IP address in the 'web service url' page on SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services Configuration Manager in order to access reports from the Https domain name.

When we load up the reports portal from domain name, all looks good with and without local ip.
    However when you actually try to run a report, you get a generic error saying

"Could not load mobile report
    The report may…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base