Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add the password visibility feature to new installs

During new installs i would like the option to see the password for services and SA like we can with other windows logins. This way we don't lock out domain accounts or forget to get a special in the SA password.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. منصة شليله

منصةشليله
    للتكامل نصوص فيديو صور صوتيات محمول وأجهزة إنترنت حافظات شاشة وخلفيات خوادم ألوان الويب تلقائيا اندرويد صوتيات web All Ai etc.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add SSIS to the SQL Server Docker Image

I work for a large bank which it trying to move hundreds of SSIS packages into GitLab pipelines. This task would happen faster an easier with SSIS on the MS SQL Server Docker image.

208 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  15 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Deny SQL Server Deployment if no Virtual Network associated with it

Currently when working with Azure Policies, there are the following effects (among others)

Deny
    AuditIfNotExists
    DeployIfNotExists

Unfortunately, the concept of DenyIfNotExists does not exist, and so when you have a resource like Azure SQL, which has related resources that don't count as properties (like TDE and VirtualNetworkRules), there is currently no way to Deny the creation of the SQL server, potentially exposing your data.

You can put an AuditIfNotExist or a DeployIfNotExists, but you can't block the deployment and really inform the team responsible that their ARM templates are not valid.

If the logic is already available when auditing, or…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Visual Studio Sql Project - allow separate configuration for database properties

In Visual Studio when working with Sql Projects, you have the ability to script recovery options to SIMPLE, BULK_LOGGED or FULL. Well our environments aren't all the same. We use SIMPLE for development, QA and UAT and FULL for production.

Other types of projects can support different configurations based on the configuration and platform. This one can't - as the configuration and platform is always set to "N/A". Please allow this project type to support different project settings so we can apply environment specific database settings on deployments.

Here's another link from a user having the same issue 5 years…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. SSMS hangs when doing setup "Loading packages"

Setup of Managment Studio hangs

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add backup configuration to the setup process for SQL Server.

What I’m asking for (besides you to upvote that User Voice item) is for Microsoft, as part of SQL Server setup, to add two new screens. The first would be called “Backup”—it would offer a dire warning to the effect of:

In order to protect the data in your databases, Microsoft strongly encourages you to take backups of your data. In the event of hardware failure, data corruption, or malicious software, Microsoft support will be unable to help you recovery your data, and you will incur data loss. This box is checked by defaults to enable automatic daily backups of…

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add PowerBI Report Server to Windows Update Catalog

Request to add PowerBI Report Server (PBIRS) upgrade to windows update catalog.
    PowerBI Report Server updates are released every other month. However for existing installs, there is no simple way to deploy upgrades in an enterprise environment. SQL Server has cumulative updates and security patches which can be installed in an enterprise via WSUS. However PBIRSRS updates do not show up on the catalog. Can these be added?

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/

nothing is found with:
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=PowerBI%20Report%20Server

Example: today latest update for Jan 2020 is there however there is no Enterprise auto-deployment as this is not found in WSUS catalog.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55329
    Microsoft Power…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Can SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) 18.5 be installed along with Visual Studio 2019 as seperate entities in Windows 10?

Can SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) 18.5 be installed along with Visual Studio 2019 as separate entities in Windows 10?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SSMS has a problem to connect to localhost.

SSMS has a problem to connect to localhost.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Save the replication monitor setup and import settings on SSMS upgrade

We have 7 environments with custom replication and need to reconfigure replication monitor every time we move to a new version of SSMS. Can you save and import the replication monitor settings to make setup easier like you do with registered servers?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. DDL VS DML

When has the Truncate table changed to be a DML operation? I think truncate table was always a DDL operation. Microsoft document listed Truncate table as a DML operation. Can anybody explain?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I cannot find server name in SSMS

I cannot find server name in SSMS

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Update rs.exe to .net after 3.5

rs.exe (even with SSRS 2017) requires .net 3.5.
    It should run in .net 4 or above

Microsoft says .net 3.5 isn't included with Window Server 2016 and above without extra work as per
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/microsoft-net-framework-35-deployment-considerations

This is literally my only requirement for .net 3.5 on the entire network

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make it updatable automatically without having to download new version everytime

it is annoying to see eg. visual studio able to update itself without going to any website and management studio not. Why SQL management studio cant update itself without having to go to web and download new version from browser?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Update Collation of Partition Functions and User-Defined Table Types via SQLSERVR -Q

𝓟𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓼𝓮 add support for Partition Functions and User-Defined Table Types (UDTT) to the global Collation update process performed by the "-Q" switch of SQLSERVR.EXE. As far as I can tell, these are the only two objects that are not modified by this operation.

☑ Yes, I am fully aware that the global Collation update process initiated by the "-Q" switch is undocumented, and hence unsupported. (i.e. MS is not committing to maintaining this particular code)

☒ No, I am 𝑛𝑜𝑡 requesting, even implicitly, that the "-Q" switch become officially documented and supported.

☒ No, I am not expecting 𝑎𝑛𝑦 guarantees…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Can not find the Backup in Task

Dear all,

I can not find the "back up" in "Task" when connect to Azure SQL but I can find that on in Local server, I'm using SSMS v18.5.
    The Azure SQL DB type Standard S0: 10 DTUs.
    Tks,
    NTQ

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SSMS Major Version doesn't show on SMS Check Updates

Our company had SSMS 17.xx installed and mine was setup to check for updates. It appears that there is a 18.xx now available, but the check for updates didn't show that there is now a new major version.

It would be helpful for:

1) SSMS would check for different major version

-- OR --

2) if there was some RSS feed or some notification system that we could hook into for knowing when there is new versions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Why is OPENJSON tied to compatibility level?

Why is OPENJSON tied to compatibility mode?
    I have one database that is temporarily tied to compatiblity level 110 for performance reasons, but I want to use OPENJSON with it for a project.
    I can easily circumvent this silly restriction by running my query from [master] or something.
    The availability of a function doesn't seem like something that needs to be tied to compatibility level.
    The whole purpose of compatibility mode is to help with backwards compatibility when behavior changes from one version to the next.
    There is no scenario where having access to a function that did not previously…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base