Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Reporting Services - Web Service and Report Builder functionality

There are several items that i need to have voiced, they all regard integration solutions towards MSSQLRS by my companies' products and others.

First off - We have a software solution that lets normal user design their data sources off of complex databases and linking, joining and naming data left and right; and built reports off of those data sources using Windows clients and/or Web clients. We used to support several different reporting formats and Windows -/Web client interfaces for creating advanced reports for these report formats using their own components...

However, now we've been nudged by some of our…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Mar 9 2009 1:07PM=-=>

I agree that the Report Builder is of very limited use.

<=-=Mar 19 2009 1:52AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. Other customers have requested the ability to generate models from within RB, have more control over the process (similar to what is available in VS Model Designer), and support binding to stored procedures. These features are all on our wishlist, and we are investigating options for adding them in a future release.

2. Cannot Install SP1 on Vista - Your account information could not be verified

Issue directly Relate to except I did not change PC name and cannot fix:

Feedback ID 126028 Blocking Issue No
    Feedback Type Bug Access Restriction Public
    Status Resolved Submission Language English
    Resolution Won't Fix
    Opened Date 02/05/2006 09:00:58
    Opened By Christian Wade

Description Cannot install SP1. Fails with message "Your account information could not be verified". I have a 2005 named instance and a 2000 default instance. Other people are also having this problem: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=379056&SiteID=1&mode=1
    I have tried using SQL authentication, etc, but didn't work.
    Comments Entered by Microsoft on 02/05/2006 at 09:48
    Thank you for your feedback. Please provide…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. MSFT - Maddog: pre-CTP6 install upgrade from CTP5 fails

Attempt to install pre-CTP6 build onto server with CTP5 on it, install fails.

Dialog says two failures (DB Engine Svcs & SSIS), two passes (Client Tools & BOL), reboot required.

Hit next, hit close, don't get dialog to reboot.

Try to connect to server, it says the db is in single_user mode and only one person can connect at a time.

Reboot, connect to server, SSMS says it's version 1098, so it seems like it installed properly.

You can see the logs at \mdsdtools12\SetupLOG

Manually reboot the server...

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jan 21 2008 7:01PM=-=>

As I found out the hard way (and multiple times!), the pre-CTP6 build is only truly supported in a clean install scenario. I would not expect much out of a CTP5→pre-CTP6 upgrade at all. In fact, I would highly recommend steering clear of it.

<=-=Jan 29 2008 11:52AM=-=>

As I unedrstand there are two failures:

(a) a full-text faiulure tracked separately
    (b) A SQL browser failure tracked here with the following information: 1) SQL Browser was configured for Automatic and 2) the startup account password was invalid resulting in a logon failure.

Can you confirm whether statements 1) and 2) are true?

If yes, the SQL Browser failure is expected, and the way to achieve a successful installation is to set correct service startup account for SQL Browser service (through SQL Server configuration manager), and then run the pre-CTP6 installation.

Thank you, and we…

4. SQL2008 Upgrade from CTP5 to CTP6 Fails

After experiencing an upgrade failure from CTP5 to CTP6 reported in bug 330318, tried running the following setup command at the command prompt: setup /q /action=repair /instancename=mssqlserver /sku=Dev /features=SQL,IS,Tools

This attempt also failed. Tried several changes in registry with no luck.

Attaching the last five set of logs created by the upgrade attempts. Also, attaching the MSSQLSERVER registry hive since the Microsoft engineer I was working with noticed that there was a missing entry.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 27 2008 1:38PM=-=>

I don’t think this is a supported upgrade path. And I don’t think that it should be. Yes, it would be great if it just worked, but especially during the CTP phase where the code code is in flux, I would rather they spend their time on perfecting the 2005 → 2008 upgrade scenario. Perfecting the CTP upgrade scenario is a lot of work for very, very, very little long-term benefit.

<=-=Feb 28 2008 1:27PM=-=>

We would like to investigate your issue but we only see logs from the failed Repair not the Failed Upgrade. Can you provide us the Upgrade Logs?

Repair failed because it was an invalid scenario to run repair in. You can only run repair after the Instance Name Switch we believe your real issue is with Upgrade and we would like to help you figure out why the upgrade…

5. MSFT-MSO: Where have all the buttons gone?

I ran the setup on a cluster server and I could go till �Error and Usage Reporting� page (which is the last �data collection page� of the installation process) � I just wanted to quickly click �Back� button and double-check the configurations in all pages before clicking �install� button. When I reached �Cluster Disk Selection� page and click next to move forward, I get the error as mentioned below in the screenshot for all drives (if you hover the mouse over the error message, it displays all other error messages) � and most importantly there is no way I can…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 18 2008 4:25PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback and patience with this issue. We are fixing this issue for the Refresh release after SQL Server 2008 February CTP.

Thanks,

Max Verun
    SQL Server

<=-=Apr 10 2008 8:33PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback and patience with this issue. We are fixing this issue for the Refresh release after SQL Server 2008 February CTP.

Thanks,

Max Verun
    SQL Server

<=-=Apr 25 2008 9:05AM=-=>

This issue has been addressed. Thanks, Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

6. SQL Server 2008 install "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

When installing SQL Server Express 2008 I get this error: TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object..

BUTTONS:

OK

I've tried the workarounds about adding registry keys "VersionString=8.00.0194" and "Language=1033". These workarounds did nothing to avoid the error above

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 23 2009 5:53PM=-=>

Thanks for contacting us with this issue. We already have a duplicate item filed for this issue before; we approved and plan to fix this issue in SQL Server 2008 SP2.

I am closing this as a duplicate. Please be on the look out when SQL Server 2008 SP2 comes out to confirm the fix.

Thanks,

Max Verun
    SQL Server

<=-=May 17 2010 2:36PM=-=>

Update on this issue and the fix for it:

This was fixed in SQL Server 2008 SP1+CU3, and the fix will also be available in the future Service Pack update. We are resolving as a duplicate item that was used to track the fix.

Thanks,
    Max Verun
    SQL Server

7. SSMS Configure Database Mail does not setup mail correctly in some circumstances.

When the Configure Database Mail Wizard is used to configure DB Mail on a SQL 2008 server, the wizard completes successfully however some of the configuration settings (the Profile & Account settings) appear to be incorrectly created on the WRONG SERVER if a second Configure Database Mail Wizard is open on a second server.
    After completing the wizard successfully database mail is not configred correctly as ther does not appear to be any DB Mail Profile or Account created on the SQL server.
    This scenario may arise for example, when DB Mail settings from a previously configured SQL server are…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Jun 5 2009 1:01PM=-=>

Thank you for this feedback; we will look into it and get back to you soon.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

<=-=Jun 18 2009 4:52PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback; we are already tracking this issue to fix against our next major release. I’ve closed your bug as a duplicate of the existing work item.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

8. Running SQL 2008 sp1 setup fails with .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 required error

On a two node custler running Windows 2003 Ent Ed (64 bit) and SQL 2008 Ent Ed (64 bit), needed to add SSIS on both nodes. Was able to install on node A and B. Applied SQL 2008 SP1 on node a without issue, but when I try to install SP1 on node B, I get the following error:
    SQL Server 2008 setup requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 to be installed.
    Download and install .NET Framework from <url> and then rerun Setup.

Searched both here and on the Internet and have not found anything relating to this issue.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 3 2009 11:28AM=-=>

Thanks for helping us improve SQL Server experiences.

You can find hardware and software requirements for SQL Server 2008 at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

“The following .NET Framework versions are required:

SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2003 (64-bit) IA64 � .NET Framework 2.0 SP2

SQL Server Express � .NET Framework 2.0 SP2

All other editions of SQL Server 2008 � .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Installation of .NET Framework requires a restart of the operating system. If Windows Installer installation also requires a restart, Setup will wait until .NET Framework and Windows Installer components have installed before restarting.

Note:
    Installing .NET Framework 2.0 SP2: .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is not available as a separate download. You will need to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 which includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP2. "

I hope this helps you.

Thanks,…

9. 2008 Developer Edition Setup error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object...

Attempting install of 2008 Dev on XP Pro sp 2 and the above error after the Support files were installed clean.

Tried the SQL 2000 registry hack (are you kidding me? Guys, you need to do better than this on your setup routines - seriously) and ran setup again. No discernable effect; same meaningless error.

See attached log folder for more details.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 18 2010 2:31PM=-=>

Thanks for reporting this issue. This is in our list of SP2 issues for further investigation and fix.

Thanks,
    Max Verun
    SQL Server

<=-=Apr 2 2010 1:35PM=-=>

Update on this issue and the fix for it:

This was fixed in SQL Server 2008 SP1+CU3, and the fix will also be available in the future Service Pack update. We are resolving as a duplicate of an item that was used to track the fix.

Thanks,
    Max Verun
    SQL Server

10. Setup : make Next/Back button locations consistent

Today I was setting up 10.0.1091. On the Error and Usage Reporting dialog, there are the following four buttons:

Back | Next | Cancel | Help

When I click next, on the Ready to Install screen, there are only three buttons:

Back | Install | Cancel

Since this portion of the dialog is right-aligned, the absence of a help button makes it so that "Back" is in the same physical location as "Next" was previously. On my first time through, when I thought I had clicked "Next", I ended up back at Error Usage and Reporting. I thought that setup…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 18 2008 1:16PM=-=>

Thank you for contacting us. This is a known issue that will be fixed before final release.

Thanks,
    Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

<=-=Apr 17 2008 12:07PM=-=>

Thank you for contacting us. This is a known issue that will be fixed before final release.

Thanks,
    Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

11. Setup for SQL 2008 should include a screen for networking

I received this mail:

Hi, I saw your posting on the Microsoft Forums regarding
    SQL Server 2008 not having a Surface Area Tool.

I install SQL Server 2008, but cannot access it through the
    SQL Management Studio, I need to expand it allow remote connections.

I want to use the Declarative Management Framework post installation,
    but don't know where to apply it.

My command line was:

Setup.exe /q /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQL,Tools /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER 

/SECURITYMODE=SQL /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators"
    /SAPWD="StrongPassword" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\System"

/AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\System"
    /AGTSVCPASSWORD="StrongPassword"

If you are in the know, the answer is simple, but not everyone is. In the
    Setup for SQL 2000, SQL…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 11

<=-=Dec 4 2007 4:38PM=-=>

Thank you for contacting us. We are looking at adding this functional to setup in a future release.

Thank You,
    Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

<=-=Apr 24 2008 8:27AM=-=>

It is not clear why this is a customer issue. However, we have completed the implementation of the Installation Center (AKA the landing page).

Thanks,
    Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

<=-=Jun 20 2008 10:31AM=-=>

The Installation Center is available in the RC0 release.

thanks,
    Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

<=-=Jun 20 2008 12:40PM=-=>

The suggestion was that the setup wizard should include a page where you can configure networking, just like the setup for SQL 6.5 and SQL 2000 did. I can’t really see how the Installation Centre meets this requirement.

<=-=Jun 24 2008 10:21AM=-=>

In the next major release, we will look at adding this requirement to the setup wizard.

Thanks,
    Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

<=-=Jun 21 2011 1:16PM=-=>

Thank…

12. Uninstall of SQL Server Express fails - with blocking other setups.

It is impossible to install SQL Server 2005 because of unistallation problems of SQL Server Express.

See here for more Details: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=133503&SiteID=1

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 7 2006 9:26AM=-=>

Thank you for contacting us. For us to investigate further, please provide the setup log files located at C:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG? If this is a CAB file, you can just provide that.

Thank You,
    Peter

<=-=Aug 18 2006 12:36AM=-=>

Why is this issue closed? Is there any solution…?

13. Peculiarity using CheckPoint files and the OnPostExecute event handler

I�ve setup a simple package to use CheckPoints with one Script Task in the Control Flow, and one Script Task in the OnPostExecute event handler at the package level that displays a message box. The package runs successfully and the message box is displayed.

Here�s where things get strange. If I set the Control Flow�s Script Task to fail (by setting the Dts.TaskResult to fail) when the package runs and fails, the OnPostExecute�s Script Task does not display the message box. This leads me to believe that the OnPostExecute event handler is not firing.

What's even stranger is that if…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. setup fail with error : failed to retrieve data for this request

I press Installation/New SQL Server stand-alone installation ...
    a pop up windows opens saying <please wait> and then <SQL Server setup failure>
    Failed to retrieve data for this request.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 10 2009 9:03AM=-=>

Thanks for contacting us. We are investigating this issue; we will update with our findings.

Thanks,

Max Verun
    SQL Server

<=-=Apr 10 2009 10:11AM=-=>

As we looked into this, we need all the setup logs located under programfiles\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log, not just the one subfolder you attached.

We also need additional information:

- Are there any other SQL Server products installed?
    - Versions, updates, architecture. We suspect this is a WOW install, but cannot tell from the logs you attached.

Thanks,

Max Verun
    SQL Server

<=-=Apr 10 2009 11:20AM=-=>

The Windows 2008 Server 64bit is fresh new installation with all the updates done. Only role is defined : ftp server.
    The SQL server is sql 2008 64 bit.There are/were no other SQL products installed.
    The Windows Server is over a VMWare esxi, and the sql server was downloaded through our microsoft agreement…

15. SP1 setup leaves many files in C: partition

Just ran SP1 installation after having installed SQL Server 2008 Express to D: partition (because C: partition has very little remaining space). After the install, I found hundreds of megabytes of files left behind in:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Update Cache\KB968369\ServicePack\x86\setup
    These appear to be patch files that I would think should only need to be run once. But I don't know that for certain, so I am afraid to delete them.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 12

<=-=Jun 5 2009 11:04AM=-=>

Thanks for helping us improve SQL Server experience. Can you send us your installation log files? This can help us investigate this issue better.

Thanks,
    Byungho

<=-=Jun 5 2009 11:04AM=-=>

Thanks for helping us improve SQL Server experience. Can you send us your installation log files? This can help us investigate this issue better.

Thanks,
    Byungho

<=-=Aug 3 2009 11:06AM=-=>

We will close this bug since we have not received any response from the customer.

<=-=Mar 3 2010 11:46PM=-=>

What kind of installation log file you’d like to receive? Indeed MS SQL Server 2008 SP1 installation leaves huge amount of data to a folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Update Cache – to me it looks just like a copy of the original SP1 installation package.

Could the SP1 installation logic be modified in such way that it would remove such unnecessary files at the…

16. Data Source Views - Diagram Management

It is not possible to automaticaly resize all tables in Data Source Views to show all columns. (I have 25 digrams x 10 tables on average.)

Even if I do it manualy and save the cahnges, they will be lost when I open AS db again.

There is no Print Preview.

When you use Page Setup > Print Scale, printout of diagram becomes unusable. it seems that diferent types of entities scale differently.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. SSAS - unable to hide ALL measure groups in a perspective

Trying to setup a perspective that does not have any measures from the measure groups, only the calculated ones.

BUT, if I make all the measures hidden and leave my calculated ones visible. When i browse the cube using the perspective all the measures are shown. Seems that you have to have at least one measure visible. Not what I want and not what SSAS believes you to think either.

Any known fix for this in the pipeline or is there a hotfix or work around I could use?

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Feb 8 2007 10:52AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. We will investigate and get back to you.

<=-=Feb 8 2007 5:57PM=-=>

Hi Matt,

This is a known issue – I wish I had good news but you have to leave at least one measure shown.

I’ve moved this to where it will be considered for the next release. Thanks for reporting.

Regards,
    Richard (richtk@microsoft.com)

<=-=Jun 10 2011 6:54AM=-=>

I see the LAST comment from Microsoft was in February of 2008. Today is June of 2011 (3-1/4 years later) and this item is still marked as ACTIVE. Since this was originally submitted, SQL Server has had both a MAJOR release in version 2008, and a semi-major release in R2.

This issue is still heppening. WHEN does Microsoft plan on fixing this issue? By their own admission it is a know issue and they still have…

18. can't inherit database dimension security on role-playing dimension

Create a role in the Adventure Works cube database. Setup dimension security on the Data database dimension. Set the allowed set to {[Date].[Date].&[1]}.

When I browse the cube now it says that there's a problem with the dimension security on one of the role-playing data dimensions in the Adventure Works cube. I'm guessing that's because the allowed set is hardcoded to [Date].[Date].

Therefore, it is impossible to have role-playing dimensions inherit dimension security from the database dimension. This is unfortunate because I have to override dimension security on every role-playing dimension which makes for a lot of repeated code. What's…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Installation Center must stay open throughout setup

Was installing SQL Server 2008 Express (x64) trying to validate another bug about MSXML6, and in freeing up clutter on the desktop, I closed the installation center dialog while setup was running in its own dialog. At the next screen I got the error:

TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

Could not find file 'c:\1d3c284ce0e72239e2f4e51c802d\MediaInfo.xml'..

BUTTONS:

OK

Apparently the installation center dialog extracts its files to this randomly named folder each time it is launched, and the other parts of setup know to go there. However there is no indication that we need…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 8

<=-=Jan 12 2009 12:25PM=-=>

Thanks Aaron for reporting this issue. We will look at addressing in our next major release.

Thanks,
    Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

<=-=Oct 13 2011 11:04AM=-=>

Hello Aaron,

We addressed this issue in SQL Server 2008 SP3 and SQL Server “Denali”. Once again, thank you for reporting this issue. I am resolving this and closing. Let us know if we can be of further help.

Regards,
    SQL Server

20. Setup : patch dialogs resize in wrong areas for "large fonts"

Over time it becomes more and more apparent that GUIs are not tested in all possible configurations. I know this can be a tall order but dialogs should be relatively usable in both regular and "large fonts" settings included with Windows. In this case, the cumulative update dialogs for SQL Server 2008 display lots of white space while the panel that shows the features to be upgraded is barely visible. Sure the dialog can be resized and this panel adjusts, but the panel is the most important part and should be a fixed size.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Jan 22 2009 12:32PM=-=>

Aaron -

We are looking into this issue; look for an update in a few days.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

<=-=Jul 25 2009 9:48PM=-=>

So, what does “Won’t fix” mean?

- don’t want to fix
    - can’t figure out how to fix
    - don’t think users with “Large Fonts” are important enough to have a smooth user experience
    - something else?

I’m not sure why these dialogs can’t be designed with Large Fonts users in mind. You guys put out the operating system; can’t setup be tested in multiple possible configurations?

<=-=Jul 27 2009 9:52AM=-=>

To give more context to the problem, Windows offers Large Fonts and a lot of users choose this setting (usually for accessibility issues). As such, it should be a staple in the test suite of any product that is released for Windows. In this case, a lot of people will…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base