Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Microsoft Q&A or Stack Overflow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Readonly fields to reduce Joins

If it is possible to define "read-only fields" in the table that are "related to another table", we can have less Join commands and the Select command will be much faster.
    I always simulated this with a trigger, but if it is added to SQL Server I think it will add power and performance.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Configuring mssql-server on Linux/documentation/automation

It seems on Linux we are supposed to use mssql-conf to configure mssql-server, as there is no full documentation on how to edit /var/opt/mssql/mssql.conf directly: it's just mentioned with an example file of which it is unclear if it shows the complete list of parameters.
    Besides that, there is a mismatch between the configuration parameters in the file and the mssql-conf parameters[*], so it's hard to know what to put in there (unless a lengthy process of trial and error using mssql-conf).

[*] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/linux/sql-server-linux-configure-mssql-conf?view=sql-server-ver15

I would like the documentation to be extended so that it includes the matching mssql.conf parameter.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Windows Server 2008 R2(64 位)安装不了

安装点击安装文件没反应

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please post the SHA256 hash of the SSMS download

Please post the SHA256 hash of the SSMS download

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When I click 'download ssms 18.8 version', I entered ssms download'.

When I click 'download SSMS 18.8 version', I entered 'SSMS download' category. I think that is same to 'download SSMS 18.8 version'.
    But whenever I open 'SSMS' installed inside my computer, I couldn't do anything more than that. Because 'WONSEOMO#SQLEXPRESS' was not in server name.

I installed and deleted it several times, but it did not appear.
    Please give me a quick advice.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. ubuntu 20.04

Please make packages for ia-64 (x64) for ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Please make packages for ARM64 (aarch64) for ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Can we include, all the Best Practices check As part of SQL sever Install and Produce a report like warning

Is it Possible to Check the - Alighnment, Disk parameters, And also Power settings, Etc and Give a warning or Green or Red with the Respective best practice. For SQL server.

And Also Install Some default Extended event traces - That can be enabled.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Enable And Disable SQLCMD Variables on the Toolbar

Enable And Disable SQLCMD Variables on the Toolbar

It would be very usefull to
    - Disable and Enable the use of SQLCMD variables
    - And to be able to see this status visually on the main screen (for instance with a highlighted button on the Toolbar)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. error on conecting

Hi, when i tried to conect it gives me this error.
    i dont have services sql on services of windows., how can i resolve this
    thanks

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to localhost.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=2&LinkId=20476

O…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. ODBC Driver for Fedora

Please add a ODBC driver package for Fedora Linux. Fedora is officially supported in other Microsoft projects such as .Net Core, PowerShell and VS Code.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. FileStream and FileTable for sql server 2019 Linux

Please add FileStream and FileTable feature into sql server 2019 in Linux.

68 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. drop down for a specific column

Is it possible to have a drop down for a specific column in one database that automatically pulls data from a another (library) database based on the data in the specific column? The drop down list would be based of the item numbers in corresponding table in the library database.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SQL Server 2017 update to Cumulative Update CU22

I want to update SQL Server 2017 web edition to the latest update currently CU22.

my current sql server info

Do I have to install all the past CU's or does CU22 include all of the past CU updates?

Thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. For the love of God, let us update SSMS from within the app.

When I launch SSMS I get, every other week it seems, a notification that there's an update. To update I click the notification, which opens a window, which I click, which opens a browser, which I scroll down to click a link, which downloads a package which I hunt for and then execute, which then complains SSMS is still open (so I click to close).

And the only option on the SSMS install is to close it. There's no "retry".

So I find the package again, launch it click the admin security thing, and then I get 2 update windows.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Change the msoledbsql so that it justs asks for a Restart instead of forcing you to manually shut down half the services on your server

I recently ran the latest msoledbsql.msi on our Alteryx server.

It asked me to manually shut down the following:
    AV processes - 4 - I couldn't actually do this so it was lucky that it ignored these on a retry.
    WMI
    VMWare, multiple services
    CommVault backup, multiple services
    Alteryx, multiple services

This is not a "light touch" installer so why not just do everything inside a system restart and have done with it?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Publishing SSMS in other Languages then English in WSUS

Pls publish SSMS 18.x or higher in other Languages then English in WSUS. This will be very helpfull for People/Admins in Europe.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Евгений

Ну вы уж постарайтесь создать еще более конченный продукт чем это!
    Я впервые вижу за свой опыт приложение, которое выдает ошибки при собственном удалении! Молодцы, браво!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. I can't connect to my local server

Hello,

I'm having a problems connecting to my local server on my laptop when i click on connect it gives me a error message and i really need to practice SQL for school exercises would love to have some help, i'm putting the message that it keeps giving me below

===================================

Cannot connect to LAPTOP-S5E7PHO2\SQLEXPRESS.

===================================

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error:…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Unable to use Encrypted key

I can't find 'Always Encrypted key' in SQL Server 2019

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base