SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS 17.4 long wait while "waiting for image library to be loaded" message is displayed

After installing Visual Studio 2017 (15.5.3) on a Windows 8.1 Enterprise desktop, SSMS 17.4 takes about 40 seconds to load. After the first 15 seconds, the following message is displayed: "Waiting for the image library to be loaded. This dialog will close when the operation is complete." This consumes the remaining 25 seconds. This time is consistent after many start/close cycles.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • SSRS Bookmark to Document Map when exporting to Excel

As the subjects says, currently when creating a bookmarked report in SSRS that contains many tabs when exported to excel, once you navigate to a given tab, it would be nice if you could create a button/textbox that sends you back to the tab "Document map" where in Bookmark index is placed.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • "error 4104"

Getting the attached error when clicking on "properties" for AlwaysOn Availability groups for SQL Versions 2016 and lower.

This bug has been present in all SSMS 2017 versions.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please create a redistributable command-line equivalent for SSMS -> Extended Events -> Export

We've created a .NET C# based export for XEL to CSV using QueryableXEventData but it takes 4 minutes to export a 1GB file. In SSMS, clicking Extended Events -> Export -> CSV takes 45 seconds for the same file.

Unfortunately, interative SSMS is required, so the process cannot be automated. Please create a command-line executable so we can automate the export at the delicious speeds of SSMS.

Also, if the NULL can be removed from output in both SSMS and the command line tool, that would be far better.

29 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Error 19432 on SQL Server 2017

Receiving steady 19432 errors Always On Availability Groups transport has detected a missing log block for availability database "***". LSN of last applied log block is (***:xxxxx:x). Log scan will be restarted to fix the issue. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

Symptoms match those described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3201336/low-transaction-throughput-on-always-on-availability-group-primary-rep and here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3198760/fix-error-19432-and-time-out-errors-with-sql-server-2016-alwayson-avai for SQL Server 2016, reported as fixed in CU3 for SQL Server 2016. Error 19432 reporting often on secondary replicas coinciding with high HADR_SYNC_COMMIT waits on the primary replica.

Replicas are configured in synchronous mode and live in same data center on same 10GB…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • sp_describe_parameter_encryption() fails with SELECT FOR UPDATE

Try the following with SQL Server 2016 or 2017:

exec sp_describe_parameter_encryption N'SELECT cust_name FROM customer (UPDLOCK) WHERE cust_pkey = @P1 FOR UPDATE OF cust_name',N'@P1 nchar(5)'

You will get the error: "FOR UPDATE clause allowed only for DECLARE CURSOR"

We are using MS ODBC 13.1 on Linux and Windows (even 17.0 preview on Linux), with Column Encryption.

We use the following ODBC cursor attribute for the SELECT FOR UPDATE, to get a server-side cursor:

r = SQLSetStmtAttr(st->stmtHandle, SQL_ATTR_CONCURRENCY, (SQLPOINTER) SQL_CONCUR_LOCK, SQL_IS_UINTEGER);

When not using Column Encryption, the SELECT FOR UPDATE can be executed.

Thanks for considering this, it is a blocker…

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Make Reporting Services RestAPI a full replacement for the depreciated SOAP API

Make Reporting Services RestAPI a full replacement for the depreciated SOAP API. Specifically it needs to provide a function to retrieve parameter values for a report when a higher level parameter value is known

See : https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/f9c8b902-63a9-40ea-8d72-90c9ac775d24/ssrs2017-restapi-how-to-retrieve-parameter-values-for-a-report-when-a-higher-level-parameter-value?forum=sqlreportingservices

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • SSMS error with SHOWPLAN_TEXT

When you enable the parameter "SET SHOWPLAN_TEXT ON; " The first query execution goes well and produces a query plan in text format, but the second one causes an error at the level of "mscorlib "

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Installation option for Lock Pages in Memory

I would like to have an option to set Lock Pages in Memory in the SQL Server command line installation.

Something like this:

/SQLSVCLOCKPAGESINMEMORY

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/install-sql-server-from-the-command-prompt

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • SQL 2012 Server, SP4 removes reg key FSCTL_SQL_FILESTREAM_FETCH_OLD_CONTENT causing filestream error

SQL Server 2012 Standard with filestream enabled
                      Windows 2012 R2 6.3, build 9600 on VMware ESXi 6.0.0, 5224934

Upgraded SQL 2012 SP3 (11.3.6251.0) to SP4 (11.4.7001.0)
                      During upgrade reg key FSCTL_SQL_FILESTREAM_FETCH_OLD_CONTENT was removed causing filestream error

From upgrade log:

(01) 2017-12-28 22:09:21 SQLEngine: : Entered RemoveFSCTLInRegistry.
                      (01) 2017-12-28 22:09:21 SQLEngine: : RemoveFSCTLInRegistry: Removing value FSCTL_SQL_FILESTREAM_FETCH_OLD_CONTENT under System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\FsctlAllowList
                      (01) 2017-12-28 22:09:21 Slp: Sco: Attempting to create base registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, machine
                      (01) 2017-12-28 22:09:21 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\FsctlAllowList
                      (01) 2017-12-28 22:09:21 Slp: Sco: Attempting to delete registry value FSCTL_SQL_FILESTREAM_FETCH_OLD_CONTENT
                      (01) 2017-12-28 22:09:21 Slp: Sco: Attempting to check…

0 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Copy/Paste from extended event grid fails with unhandled exception

Run a standard extended events trace, try and copy cell using right click.
                        Paste contents into another SSMS instance.

> System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.ThrowIfFailed(int hr) Unknown Non-user code. Skipped loading symbols.
                        System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.SetDataObject(object data, bool copy, int retryTimes, int retryDelay) Unknown Non-user code. Skipped loading symbols.
                        System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.SetText(string text, System.Windows.Forms.TextDataFormat format) Unknown Non-user code. Skipped loading symbols.
                        System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.SetText(string text) Unknown Non-user code. Skipped loading symbols.
                        Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.XEventUI.dll!Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.XEventUI.TraceToolWindowControl.cellToolStripMenuItem_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e) Unknown Non-user code. Skipped loading symbols.
                        System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(object key, System.EventArgs e) Unknown Non-user code. Skipped loading symbols.
                        System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(System.EventArgs e) Unknown Non-user code. Skipped loading symbols.
                        System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(System.EventArgs e) Unknown Non-user code. Skipped loading symbols.
                        System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs e) Unknown Non-user…

0 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• SSRS 2016 BUGGY

I am trying to convince my employer - a large energy utility in the SouthWest - to use SSRS. But bugs in the software undermine my efforts.

Using SSDT 2015 Shell and SQL 2016 I get the following:

- Deploying one report deploys them all
                          - Deploying data sources does not change them on the server
                          - Puzzling bug rsExecutionNotFound for a report that runs fine in SSDT. MS says it's solved - IT'S NOT
                          - Some reports in SSDT run forever while the query runs fine in SQL
                          - Very difficult to set global font styles, templates on reports …

0 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• OLAP Cube Designer- Diagram Pane Editor is Horribly Broken

Analysis Services designers Version 14.0.806.134

The Cube designer, diagram pane creates "ghost" tables when a model of even moderate complexity is manipulated.

0 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• SSAS ADOMD Connection -Basic Auth- 401 Error

When we create adomd connection to SSAS, its observed all the connections are initially failing with 401.2 failures and on next retry the connection is successful. Behavior is consistent for all the connections with basic authentication. At IIS only basic authentication is enabled.

0 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• support service broker functionality in native compiled objects

Hello,
                                We are working intensively with service broker to reduce the load of our Sql-Server.
                                With the feature of memory optimized tables we tried to significantly increase our performance.
                                After some migration testing we find out, we could not use this in production because we need to enqueue messages and so we go back to not memory optimized tables.
                                It would be nice if you support "SEND" command for native compiled objects like triggers and stored procedures.

If this is not possible or not planned It would be nice if you can give as a short explanation so we can…

0 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Extended Events creates dump when destination file_target_folder does not exists

I ran into odd situation while using extended event to capture queries..
                                  first I set filename to Drive letters does not exists.

filename = N'DRIVE_DOESNOT_EXISTS:\xelog\query_check.xel',

and i tried to create this session and meet the following error message #25641. which is expected.

"
                                  ??? 25641, ?? 16, ?? 0, ? 32
                                  ??, "package0.event_file"? ?? ??? ?? ?? "filename"?(?) ???? ????. ??? 0? ?? ?? ??? ???????.
                                  "

and I changed destination to following

filename = N'DRIVE_EXISTS:\FOLDER_DOES_NOT_EXISTS\query_check.xel',

and I created the session without any error message.
                                  after that I altered session to start it and I met follow error messages.

" …

0 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • KPI percent incorrect if goal value is negative

Product: SSRS 2016 SP1 CU6

Reporting services KPI: incorrect percent in case if goal has negative value.

Scenario: comparison of current and last year figures.
                                      In case if last year value (goal) is negative, and actual value is positive: KPI percent is negative, but it must show positive grows.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Impossible SSIS Catalog creation in SSMS with SS 2017

It's not possible to create the SQL Server Integration Services Catalog in SQL Server Management Studio when using SQL Server 2017, even though it has been installed with Integration Services checked and SQL Server Data Tools 2015 has been installed with Integration Services

0 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• SQLGetData() fails with SELECT with SQL comment and VARCHAR(MAX) column

When using the Windows MS ODBC 13 (or SQL Native Client 11), if a SELECT statement is preceded by /* */ SQL comment, and the SELECT list contains a VARCHAR(MAX) column, depending of the position of the VARCHAR(MAX) column you get the ODBC error "Invalid Descriptor Index".

As long as the column index passed to SQLGetData() matches the position of the column in the SELECT list, it should not matter to use a /* */ comment before the SELECT keyword. It appears that using SQL comments can lead to the invalid descriptor index error.

We reproduce with SQL Server 2016…

0 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 388 389
                                          • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base