How can we improve Microsoft Azure?

Support for physical machine migration

Add support for assessing physical servers for migration.

33 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mark Stanfill shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Support for physical servers is under review and will be enabled in future. Regarding dependency visualization of physical servers, the workaround is to install the dependency agents on the physical machines and then visualize it in the Service Map UI outside of Azure Migrate. (You can access the workspace from the Azure Migrate project essentials pane).
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/migrate/concepts-dependency-visualization#how-does-it-work

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chad Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this being a possibility? Love Azure migrate for VMWare, but would love to be able to assess a customer's entire environment

• Mark L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work with an MSP and am planning multiple cloud migrations. This tool would be very helpful in the planning process.

• Dave Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree that analysis of physical machines would be really useful. I'm sure something could be done to bring perfmon data into the Azure Migrate project somehow. However, a nice (hopefully!) quick win would be the ability to manually add a machine into the Migration Project, push the agent out for in depth discovery and allow us to include it is the Service Maps. I'm more interested in that than I am in getting rightsized recommendations for target IaaS VMs based on perf data, that I can adjust myself.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is especially important also for VMware environments where you are not allowed access to the VMware/vCenter layer, but you still need to analyse migrating them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base