Azure Migrate

Azure Migrate helps you to discover on-premises workloads and assess them for Azure suitability. You can also find the cost to run the workload in Azure.

1. Discovery and assessment for on-premises virtual machines
2. Inbuilt dependency mapping for high-confidence discovery of multi-tier applications
3. Intelligent rightsizing to Azure virtual machines
4. Compatibility reporting with guidelines for re-mediating potential issues
5. Integration with Azure Database Management Service for database discovery and migration

If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the MSDN forum.

1. Move resource(s) to another location.

I wish I could move resource(s) to another location just like I can move it now to another Resource Group or Subscription.

For example, I just created a new Function App, with a new Storage Account and put them in a new Resource Group. After all resources were provisioned, I realized that I forget to picked up a location I want. Instead of South Central US, I need them to be in West US.

It would be super handy if I can just move them all to the West US location. Instead, I have to delete resources and recreate them…

99 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support for physical machine migration

Add support for assessing physical servers for migration.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Migrate VM to Azure Stack

As a service provider, having to possibility to use Azure Migrate for the Migration of On-premise VM of our customers to our multi-tenant Azure Stack platfom will be very helpfull

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I want to migrate Hyper-v datacenters using Azure Migrate

Today Azure Migrate can only discover VMware environments. We want to be able to discover Hyper-v environments and assess+migrate them to Azure.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Spreadsheet pricing

would be great to have a spreadsheet import for Azure pricing. There are many times where customers want to know how much their VMs will cost to run, but they don't or can't install anything. If there was a way to take a spreadsheet with CPU, Memory, and disk space info and just import that list to the Azure Pricing Calculator or Azure Migrate to get pricing info, that would be perfect.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Automated migration assessment tool from one subscription to another.

when a customer wants to move from subscriptions like Pay-As-You-Go to CSP we used to use this tool http://azurecspassessment.azurewebsites.net/ for assessment. Since the tool is shut down it has become very difficult to assess the resources manually. It is taking hours when moving a big customer from PAYG to CSP. Some resources in PAYG are not supported in CSP or having dependencies. This is creating a huge impact on time, labor, and cost (down time in re-deploying the services). Please do review and hope you come up with a new tool.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Limit VM collection scope to folders

We are running clusters with lots of VMs (1700 in one case) but organise the VMs into folders which contain VMs that belong to a specific customer. At the moment the scope for data collection is limited to selecting a Cluster, but no more granular than that. So if I create an Azure Migrate project for a customer with 100 VMs in their folder, it still has to collect data for all 1700 VMs in the cluster.

I have tried using a user account to connect to vCenter that has read-only access to just the folder containing the VMs I…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Machine Selection for Assessment

After discovery, choosing machines for a group is very difficult. It displays 9 machines at a time, select all doesn't allow you to unselect individual machines, and you can't search for parts of machines names to then select a group. Would be great if the selection process for groupings offered more customization. I am doing an assessment now if you want to see what is going on.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are planning to add more customization/filtering option for grouping in Azure Migrate. Filtering by name, OS, IP Address is something that we currently support. We are planning to add filtering by vCenter host/cluster/folder, it would really help us if you could comment on the criteria that you use for grouping VMs.

9. Currently Virtual machines created from Marketplace resources with plans attached cannot be moved between subscriptions or Resource Group.

Currently, Virtual machines created from Marketplace resources with plans attached cannot be moved between subscriptions or Resource Group.

It would be very helpful if you could add this feature as soon as possible. Due to this limitation, customer's have to set up the VM from scratch.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add support for Azure Databox

Integrate Azure Migrate with Azure Databox for Offline Migration for large VM estate.
    VHD files should be placed on Databox and after Import to Azure, only Deltas should be fetched from on-premises running VMs.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Mark VM as SQL

It would be good to be able to mark a discovered VM as being OS Only, SQL Std or SQL Ent. Then the SQL license costs could be included in the costs on the assessments generated

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Move resources groups to another subscription

Doing some migrations and movement between subscriptions, I see a lot of improvements there. As currently there is no dry run, once you start the migration there is no stopping anymore, There is also no progress on how long this migration will take, but after 4 hours there is an error message that it failed and a full rollback will take place. also handeling resource groups that have more than 100 items can be moved in one time If there are tight resources that are all connected to each other then migration is a pain. the limit is 800 items…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add support for the KVM hypervisor

For starters, this will make it easier to migrate off of Digital Ocean

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add support for VMware workstation shared machines

I would like to migrate VM's created in VMWare workstation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Display about the resource migration status / issue in Azure Portal

Could you help to add the function for Azure Move to confirm the status / issue from Azure Portal?

It takes long minutes to migrate resources using Azure Move.
    However, Cx can't see status or internal error from Azure Portal.
    And, They have to wait for a timeout / complete.

So, I think it would be nice to be able to check the migration status from Azure Poral.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. "Start Delta Sync" Button

We need a button to force a delta sync. I'm in a scenario right now where we have a migration soon and don't have the time to wait an hour for the delta sync to start by itself. Azure Migrate replication has been down for a week and we don't know how long the deltas are going to take so a button like this would be very helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Azure Migrate Server Assessment API for running assessment calculation

I want to use custom service for collecting metadata about the on-premises servers instead of Azure Migrate appliance and then send the data to Azure Migrate Server Assessment API to perform assessment calculation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Use SCOM Data Warehouse data as a source for Performance assessments.

It would be great if Azure Migrate could use the SCOM data warehouse to pull performance data to do the Performance assessment for VM sizing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Migrate

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base