Azure IoT Edge

Azure IoT Edge moves analytics and logic out of the cloud and onto your on-premises devices. Using a cloud interface, you can deploy either Azure service logic or your own code to devices without having to physically access them. And offline capabilities mean that you can extract business insights anywhere, without worrying about maintaining constant communication with a cloud service.

More details about the services are available in the documentation.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rust SDK Azure IoT Edge

Since Rust is becoming increasingly popular it would be amazing to use Rust for creating custom IoT Edge modules. Rust would be a good fit for IoT Edge modules which require high performance and safety!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Developing custom modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is definitely interesting; however is unplanned at the moment. Supporting SDKs in 5 languages is already a large task and we’re not likely to add another language to that matrix anytime soon.

2. Using Bluetooth to communicate with mobile app

I can't find any C# tutorial which uses the built-in Bluetooth chip on the Raspberry Pi 3 (everyone seems to be using SensorTags) to chat with mobile app. I have been able to connect to mobile phone and receive messages on my Edge module in Python, but I can't find any reliable and full tutorial to do it in C#

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Connectivity issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Installing IoT Edge Runtime on Core OS.

CoreOS is one of the popular container OS in the market.It will be great idea to install Azure IoT Edge Runtime(EdgeAgenet,EdgeHub,iotedged bootstrap security daemon) on Core OS.

As per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/iot-edge/support#operating-systems CoreOS is neither in Tier-1 nor tier-2 OS list for IOT EDGE RUNTIME.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Installing IoT Edge runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support powerpc architecture

Does Azure Iot Edge Support powerpc architecture ?
    If not, do you plan to support it ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Installing IoT Edge runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Out of box IoT edge custom modules for Pinter server

One of my current customer and another customer from last fiscal year had a requirement to connect their local office printer as an edge device to the IoT Hub(cloud) and start sending their print jobs to their local printer. Is there way product team build a generic IoT edge module may be in collaboration with partners like HP and others and cater to the needs of such customers and solve their business problems? This could bring tons of ACR for MSFT.

I’m not a network expert but there may be ip address, port and firewall may need to be configured…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Developing custom modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Azure IoT Edge is an open source project and we’d be happy to have a partner (.eg HP, Xerox, Brother) contribute a module that works with their printers. They could even add it to the module marketplace for easy discovery.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base