Azure IoT Edge

Azure IoT Edge moves analytics and logic out of the cloud and onto your on-premises devices. Using a cloud interface, you can deploy either Azure service logic or your own code to devices without having to physically access them. And offline capabilities mean that you can extract business insights anywhere, without worrying about maintaining constant communication with a cloud service.

More details about the services are available in the documentation.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support Ubuntu Core

Add Ubuntu Core as supported Operating Systems. It is becoming a preferred "secure by default" OS which is preinstalled on many IoT Gateways. E.g. Dell Edge Gateways

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Installing IoT Edge runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Removing unused modules from IoT Edge devices

I am successfully able to add and remove custom modules from a deployment. However, I notice that modules that I remove through a deployment, remain on the device, occupying space. So at some point, the device's storage will get filled up with junk (outdated or unnecessary modules), leading to a system crash.

This is the response I received from Microsoft - "Thanks for your feedback @baharw . That is by design - you can easily integrate a direct method for example that would be responsible to remove all unused docker images on your edge device. I nevertheless suggest that you…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Deploying modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Document how to connect Azure Sphere Device as Downstream Device to Edge

It would be great to connect the new Azure Sphere to the IoT Hub on Edge to use Sphere in a Transparent Gateway Scenario

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Connectivity issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. C2D Messaging

I know direct methods are possible but sometimes you just want to have a queue of C2D messages which are delivered to devices when they come online. Direct methods only work when a device is connected and it would require some effort to implement the aforementioned scenario. Also one would need some routing logic to deliver those messages to modules.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Connectivity issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Remote login to IoT Gateway

If an IoT Gateway is deployed in the industrial plant and if some application crashes in Gateway or some need of login to the gateway.
    In that case, Azure IoT edge should allow users to remotely log in to the IoT gateway using ssh/telnet. This will very easy to monitor the status and debugging/maintenance.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Developing custom modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Module for receiving data from BACnet systems

Alike a Modbus module, it would be useful if a BACnet module is made available to support BACnet systems.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Deploying modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. More options, or configuration parameters, of storeAndForwardConfiguration

storeAndForwardConfiguration has a parameter, timeToLiveSecs to specify offline period to retain data.

Preferable to add following 3 parameters to storeAndForwardConfiguration
    1. Limit the amount of disk usage to be used for SnF feature.
    2. Specify the directory/path of storage for SnF feature
    3. Flush un-forwarded messages in SnF memory out to specified files

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Installing IoT Edge runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Container Encryption

Provide container encryption technologies (e.g. Vormetric from Thales) to Azure IoT Edge to make sure that partners protect their IP

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Developing custom modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Low bandwidth / partially connected: message delivery priority

For scenarios with low bandwidth and connectivity issues sending messages in the FIFO order of the message cache after being offline is not working. We need a way to specify "important" messages (delivery priority) that needs to be sent before trying to send all other messages from the msg cache. Specifying different TTL values for different priorities would be necessary as well.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Connectivity issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Enable Azure Media Services streaming an analytics through IoT Edge.

Live media streams requires usually a good bandwith. By running the Azure Media Services, through the IoT Edge, it should be possible to employ ML, and vision analytics on the edge before streaming to cloud.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Developing custom modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Delta Updates for Modules for low-bandwith scenarios

Provide a (binary) delta update process for module/container updates. As of now Azure IoT Edge is not suitable for low-bandwith / bad connectivity (eg. cellular) scenarios as the module/container download always pulls the whole image with potentially hundreds of MBs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Deploying modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Safe Storage for Container Registry Credentials

Using a Azure Container Registry which is not public leads to having the credentials to the registry on every deployed device.
    It would be nice to have the authentication handled by the IoT Hub or a solution to store the credentials inside the tpm (if it would be necessary to have them onto each device)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deploying modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Iot Edge on Windows 10 Iot Core on RaspBerry Pi 3B

Windows ARM architecture is not yet supported by IoT Edge. AMD64-based IoT Core platforms should work. I want the iot edge can work anywhere iot core was installed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Installing IoT Edge runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add Overview of Azure Edge sites to azure.microsoft.com

Hello,

I accidentally found out about Azure Edge Sites via https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/latency-is-the-new-currency-of-the-cloud-announcing-31-new-azure-edge-sites

It sounds like this can be another reason for customers to choose for Azure in cases when an Azure Edge site is closer than a region.

I would expect the explanation and up to date listing to be added to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/global-infrastructure/ subsite.

See the mockup below.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow upstream IoT Hub (Event Hub) to be different as management one

It would be nice to have possibility to set upstream IoT Hub (or even Event Hub) to be different as management IoT Hub. Scenario is, that Dev Company is taking care of development and operation of IoT Edge device, but collected data should flow to their customer subscription for further processing. Sure it is possible to connect to different IoT Hub from module and send data that way, but this bypasses routes feature provided by IoT Edge.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow for placeholder variables in IoT Edge deployment templates

I am looking to have a configured deployment for Azure IoT Edge that automatically gets applied, based on the configured tags for a new IoT Edge device.
    That works perfectly (modules are being set, routes are defined, module twins are configured)

However, I’d like to leverage a concept like ‘placeholder values’ that I can override on edge device level.

For example: I might have 5 different devices, all using the same deployment, but inside one of their module, I need to set a specific Environment Variable, or update a value in their desired properties (of the module twin). Once creating…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Certificate based Proxy Authentication

Can you please provide support for certificate based proxy authentication on IoT Edge. The certificate are client signed certificates used to securely authenticate within the client network.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Connectivity issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Windows ML or ONNX support on Windows IoT

I would like to see if Windows Container support Windows ML with the help of at GA with the assit with DirectX that supporting Intel(tm) UHD Graphics 6xx. It is the best scenario If it supports GT3e graphics accelerator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Developing custom modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Benchmark AI models running on IoT devices

Please implement a native AI benchmarking toolkit that will allow us to monitor AI machine learning performance on IoT devices

An azure dashboard monitoring performance would be most welcome

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Developing custom modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base