Azure IoT Edge

Azure IoT Edge moves analytics and logic out of the cloud and onto your on-premises devices. Using a cloud interface, you can deploy either Azure service logic or your own code to devices without having to physically access them. And offline capabilities mean that you can extract business insights anywhere, without worrying about maintaining constant communication with a cloud service.

More details about the services are available in the documentation.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. sign container

Provide option during the install (only local on edge device) that forces all containers to be signed by a specific certificate.

This would allow to harden the device against a leak of the IoT Hub Management Credentials or of the Customer Platform managing the deployments.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Deploying modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Progress bar for deployment of modules

For development, testing and monitoring purposes it would be great if there would be more information about the progress of a deployment, especially on the Edge device itself. One can look at the logfiles for the start and finish of a deployment, but I would like to know more than this. My suggestion would be to see the container in the 'iotedge list' with status downloading (42MB/100MB, 42%), but I'm open to any other form of monitoring the progress of the deployment.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow upstream IoT Hub (Event Hub) to be different as management one

It would be nice to have possibility to set upstream IoT Hub (or even Event Hub) to be different as management IoT Hub. Scenario is, that Dev Company is taking care of development and operation of IoT Edge device, but collected data should flow to their customer subscription for further processing. Sure it is possible to connect to different IoT Hub from module and send data that way, but this bypasses routes feature provided by IoT Edge.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow for placeholder variables in IoT Edge deployment templates

I am looking to have a configured deployment for Azure IoT Edge that automatically gets applied, based on the configured tags for a new IoT Edge device.
    That works perfectly (modules are being set, routes are defined, module twins are configured)

However, I’d like to leverage a concept like ‘placeholder values’ that I can override on edge device level.

For example: I might have 5 different devices, all using the same deployment, but inside one of their module, I need to set a specific Environment Variable, or update a value in their desired properties (of the module twin). Once creating…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Delta Updates for Modules for low-bandwith scenarios

Provide a (binary) delta update process for module/container updates. As of now Azure IoT Edge is not suitable for low-bandwith / bad connectivity (eg. cellular) scenarios as the module/container download always pulls the whole image with potentially hundreds of MBs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Deploying modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Issue iotedge commands from Azure

It would be great to issue iotedge commands from Azure on specific devices. Especially the "iotedge logs" command to see what is happening on a device remotely.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Deploying modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Removing unused modules from IoT Edge devices

I am successfully able to add and remove custom modules from a deployment. However, I notice that modules that I remove through a deployment, remain on the device, occupying space. So at some point, the device's storage will get filled up with junk (outdated or unnecessary modules), leading to a system crash.

This is the response I received from Microsoft - "Thanks for your feedback @baharw . That is by design - you can easily integrate a direct method for example that would be responsible to remove all unused docker images on your edge device. I nevertheless suggest that you…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Deploying modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Run Iot edge python module on Window

Is it possible to run iot edge python module on edge device where Windows 2016 sever is OS? I am using Linux docker container.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Deploying modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Safe Storage for Container Registry Credentials

Using a Azure Container Registry which is not public leads to having the credentials to the registry on every deployed device.
    It would be nice to have the authentication handled by the IoT Hub or a solution to store the credentials inside the tpm (if it would be necessary to have them onto each device)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. IoT Edge Module deployment limit

Currently there is a limit of 10 modules (includes agent, hub) to be deployed to IoT Edge device. What is the plan for module deployment limit for GA release? The reason is the solution we are working demands multiple (more than 8) peripheral integration at device level and we see that each Edge module could represent the peripherals. Also, please share tentative plan of GArelease?

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Deploying modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Module for receiving data from BACnet systems

Alike a Modbus module, it would be useful if a BACnet module is made available to support BACnet systems.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Deploying modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Need a way to see a message as it is routed through the Edge

An IoT Edge message correlation id should be provided so that specific message workflows can be diagnosed via module logging.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Deploying modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base