Cost Management

Microsoft Azure Cost Management helps you effectively monitor, control, and optimize cloud costs across your organization. Learn more in the Cost Management documentation.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure spending limit pr. Resource Group instead of pr. subscription.

I see a great potential for Azure if it was possible to control spending limit pr. ressource group.

In companies with many departments/developers or students at universities have need for develop environments in Azure. My aim is to reduce the risk of letting someone spin up 1000 VMs etc. and leaving them running for months before someone finds out.
    Introducing spending limits / isolating cost for a resource group to each department/developer would be great.
    Each developer could then be given control to his/hers own resource group.

158 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Budgets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Possibility to create daily budget - Control unusual costs from day to day.

Hi

With reference to: https://twitter.com/rune_myrhaug/status/1101552474383704071?s=21

Let's say that normal cost for an subscription (or management group) is 1500. But one day this peaks up to 10.000,- due to an error or unusual usage. There is a need to get functionality that detects such cost-peaks. And the granularity to detect such peaks should be "day". Way to late to get informed or do action on this after a month or quarterly.

When such a cost-peak is detected there should be functionality that triggers automatic actions - like what's in "Azure Action Groups".

My understanding is that this can be solved by…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Budgets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enabling custom spending limit per resource with API

Enabling this feature will allow the developers/software houses to provide more accurate pricing in their SaaS sales or even in the IaaS offerings, some customers just want a fixed cost/price like they used to do in the non-elastic economy, and it will help in avoiding the unexpected high bills.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Budgets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make Cost Management available within a few minutes after subscription creation time

Currently it takes sometimes more than 48 hours (or more) before a budget can be assigned to a new subscription. This delay should be minimized so that budget can be assigned sooner. This is especially an issue when automating a new subscription with a blueprint that contains cost management.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Budgets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Budget and Alerts on Tags

As tags are very important for cost management, it would be great to set budgets and alerts on tags.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Budgets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Spending limit for subscription and for Dev/Test Lab

Having spending limits both on subscription level and on Dev/Test Lab level. Possible to configure values in parallel:
    - maximum daily spending
    - maximum monthly spending
    - maximum overall spending

Business reason:
    Dev/Test Lab is created for sandbox or for smaller project environments. Separated subscription is created for bigger projects temporarily. These environments got unlimited credit today, only possible to control cost indirectly (to limit number of VMs or VmSizes) or proactively (budget alert). It is typically good for planned actions but there is a risk that cost dramatically overrun as of unplanned activities, e.g. via high outbound network traffic.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. It appears there's no way to validate your cost or spend (from the portal for sure) until AFTER you've run over your budget I guess? Seems p

Sure don't care for not having any idea what's been spend, what is cost, until receiving a bill AFTER the fact. Wow, what if I spent my entire budget accidentally on a VM session? This seems pretty common to all providers, else why would vendors be offering wildly expensive tools to do what should be a simple click-on-the-vendors-portal and see your expenses, up to the minute?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add an Alert Notification for Budget Increase

On behalf of a customer, would like to be able to enable an email alert notification be sent when the Budget is increased under Pay as You Go.

When a customer's user group's budget requests additional funding for their Azure resources, the group should be able to be notified that funding has been applied to their budget

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Monthly spend under budget

I would like to set an alert for when my monthly/period spend is more that 10% under my budget at the end of the month/period.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Budget alert greater than 100%

I would like to be able to set an alert when the spend is 110% of budget, there is currently validation than only allows up to 100.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. support service credits in budget

support service credits in budget that are not reset on a time basis.
    they need to be persistent until they run out.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base