Have an idea or suggestion? We’d love to hear your thoughts.

Spending Limit or Maximum Cost CAP for Azure

As a customer, I really care about Spending Limit or Spending CAP feature of Azure.

How does Azure prevent some evil attack to my Azure sites causing charge a large billing of Credit Card?

For example, it should automatically shut off or temporary disable my site when a certain dollar amount has been reached.

Is this feature in the RoadMap of Azure?

Or is there anyway to control my maximum Spending Limit of Azure?

Thanks.

1,046 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mike shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
planned  ·  AdminAzure Billing Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

Quick update,

We have been considering all of the risks and investigating the steps required to ensure we implement this feature with high positive impact and low to no negative impact.

After this investigation we have decided we will enable Pay-As-You-Go customers the option to configure a spending limit on a Pay-As-You-Go subscription, with appropriate safeguards and measures to prevent both service abuse and production service failure.

We have not yet finished determining the details of what this feature will look like, nor do we have a timeline for release, but we have heard your voices and have added this feature to our backlog.

Thanks for your continued feedback,

-Adam (Azure Billing Team)

160 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lack of spending limits is preventing me from exploring Azure since my trial is expired. One month isn't enough time to learn much and I can't take the risk of authorizing unlimited spending on a pay-as-you-go subscription to continue learning. There's too much of a risk that I'll make a mistake and be responsible for costs that I can't afford.

I'm disappointed today because I found an awesome blog post with an ARM template that had me excited about trying out Azure Functions, but I'm not willing to add an unlimited spending subscription to my account to try out something that I expect to cost less than $1.

Please give an update on this. It's been 3 years and spending limits have been enabled for several other subscription types. Is this still planned?

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates? Without this feature, there is too much downside risk to using Azure. One misclick could cost 1000’s of dollars.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this for EA and CSP? We had a customer run up a $12k bill the other day that could have been easily avoided!

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really want to use Azure but I can't give you unlimited access to my bank account.
    You're forcing people to go elsewhere, this can not make business sense.

Microsoft should also be embarrassed by how long this has been "Planned".

• Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This exists for MSDN subscriptions so you have the technology. Why is this not be implemented?

• Rama Indrawan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know for sure that the BUDGET which gives us ability to send emails at certain thresholds are here, I am using it now from the Portal

• Vivek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will this feature arrive? as it stands the upper limit is still unlimited.

• Craig Humphrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for Enterprise Agreement based Azure Subscriptions.

And for some way to track/alert cost against a specific user.
    E.g. user creates huge VM and leaves it turned on, racking up a huge bill.

• Malon Körber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"After this investigation we have decided we will enable Pay-As-You-Go customers the option to configure a spending limit on a Pay-As-You-Go subscription, with appropriate safeguards and measures to prevent both service abuse and production service failure."

Why not EA Customers? I don't want to build a specific department and an account for each subscription. I need to configure the spending limit on the specific subscription.

I don't need a hard quota, I am even happy with a softquota on subscription level!
    When doing this for Pay-As-You-Go, why not for EA-Customers?

• Woof commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello? Year after year I send my customers to other solutions...

Come on Microsoft, the ability to delegate a capped spend to departments or projects is pretty fundamental to controlling costs & making azure viable in a range of scenarios. You may have bottomless money bags but most of us don't.

It's clear from the thread that there is customer demand for this feature, so why has there been no response for almost 2 years?

• No way commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not going to even touch Azure again if there's no option to set a hard spending limit (or - preferably - buy some virtual currency with a real money and then use that virtual currency, instead of risking with my credit card).

Right now, I'm pretty sure I can order a service that costs $45 000 a month (cognitive services) with a one miss-click, which is outrageously dangerous, to say the least.

Maybe there is some confirmation page after that one click, I don't know, I'm not going to check this out, I'm not going to go bankrupt.

Never again Microsoft, your service is just too much risk to take.

Without a spending cap, the risk of pay-as-you-go is too high. I would prefer to set and adjust some limit, even if it's quite high at times, to suspend operations temporarily in cases of unanticipated (potentially malicious) surges in activity.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base