Cost Management

Microsoft Azure Cost Management helps you effectively monitor, control, and optimize cloud costs across your organization. Learn more in the Cost Management documentation.

Have an idea or suggestion? We’d love to hear your thoughts.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Spending Limit or Maximum Cost CAP for Azure

As a customer, I really care about Spending Limit or Spending CAP feature of Azure.

How does Azure prevent some evil attack to my Azure sites causing charge a large billing of Credit Card?

For example, it should automatically shut off or temporary disable my site when a certain dollar amount has been reached.

Is this feature in the RoadMap of Azure?

Or is there anyway to control my maximum Spending Limit of Azure?

Thanks.

1,046 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

160 comments  ·  Budgets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Quick update,

We have been considering all of the risks and investigating the steps required to ensure we implement this feature with high positive impact and low to no negative impact.

After this investigation we have decided we will enable Pay-As-You-Go customers the option to configure a spending limit on a Pay-As-You-Go subscription, with appropriate safeguards and measures to prevent both service abuse and production service failure.

We have not yet finished determining the details of what this feature will look like, nor do we have a timeline for release, but we have heard your voices and have added this feature to our backlog.

Thanks for your continued feedback,

-Adam (Azure Billing Team)

2. Possibility to create daily budget - Control unusual costs from day to day.

Hi

With reference to: https://twitter.com/rune_myrhaug/status/1101552474383704071?s=21

Let's say that normal cost for an subscription (or management group) is 1500. But one day this peaks up to 10.000,- due to an error or unusual usage. There is a need to get functionality that detects such cost-peaks. And the granularity to detect such peaks should be "day". Way to late to get informed or do action on this after a month or quarterly.

When such a cost-peak is detected there should be functionality that triggers automatic actions - like what's in "Azure Action Groups".

My understanding is that this can be solved by…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Budgets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enabling custom spending limit per resource with API

Enabling this feature will allow the developers/software houses to provide more accurate pricing in their SaaS sales or even in the IaaS offerings, some customers just want a fixed cost/price like they used to do in the non-elastic economy, and it will help in avoiding the unexpected high bills.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Spending limit for subscription and for Dev/Test Lab

Having spending limits both on subscription level and on Dev/Test Lab level. Possible to configure values in parallel:
    - maximum daily spending
    - maximum monthly spending
    - maximum overall spending

Business reason:
    Dev/Test Lab is created for sandbox or for smaller project environments. Separated subscription is created for bigger projects temporarily. These environments got unlimited credit today, only possible to control cost indirectly (to limit number of VMs or VmSizes) or proactively (budget alert). It is typically good for planned actions but there is a risk that cost dramatically overrun as of unplanned activities, e.g. via high outbound network traffic.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Budgets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make Cost Management available within a few minutes after subscription creation time

Currently it takes sometimes more than 48 hours (or more) before a budget can be assigned to a new subscription. This delay should be minimized so that budget can be assigned sooner. This is especially an issue when automating a new subscription with a blueprint that contains cost management.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. support service credits in budget

support service credits in budget that are not reset on a time basis.
    they need to be persistent until they run out.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. It appears there's no way to validate your cost or spend (from the portal for sure) until AFTER you've run over your budget I guess? Seems p

Sure don't care for not having any idea what's been spend, what is cost, until receiving a bill AFTER the fact. Wow, what if I spent my entire budget accidentally on a VM session? This seems pretty common to all providers, else why would vendors be offering wildly expensive tools to do what should be a simple click-on-the-vendors-portal and see your expenses, up to the minute?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base