Cost Management

Microsoft Azure Cost Management helps you effectively monitor, control, and optimize cloud costs across your organization. Learn more in the Cost Management documentation.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Usage analysis

Similar to cost analysis, add the ability to build a report on usage, like VM hours or network I/O.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. For an invoice period, need a way for daily consumption to match the invoice consumption.

We need a way to calc and/or run reports for an invoice period where the invoice consumption and the daily usage consumption match, ideally by tags.

Through out portal.azure.com and Cloudyn, invoice consumption does not tie to the usage/resource consumption for the same periods. Even on reports that include both invoice consumption and daily usage consumption.

Example: account.azuer.com/subscriptions/statement... "Download usage details". This csv report has 2 sections: the upper which ties to the invoice and the lower which ties to usage and resource reports. But the upper section does not tie to the lower section.

I am comparing:
    1) the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Support for querying based on invoice (billing period) will come as part of the support for pay-as-you-go and dev/test subscriptions. Currently, Enterprise Agreement (EA) billing periods are bound to the calendar.

Not being able to reconcile usage/charges is not a design goal, but an unfortunate design limitation. We’ll improve this as we add support to native Cost Management. We apologize for the inconvenience.

3. Allow Pinning the Cost of a Single Resource Group to a Dashboard

It's already possible to see resource costs for a particular resource group. It would be very helpful to be able to pin a widget to a dashboard that shows this value.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add quotes to the Costs by Resource CSV download

When using the Costs by Resource grid and selecting "Download", the commas in the Type column throw off the file layout.

e.g. Standard IO - Table Write Operation Units (in 10,000s) should be "Standard IO - Table Write Operation Units (in 10,000s)" otherwise it shifts the rest of the row over by one.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. provide an drill-down of cost for individual categories | machines

Currently the billing information and the usage statistics are sub-divided in CPU, network, disk, etc.

Please provide the ability to drill down into these categories to
    identify cost for each machine (per category).
    Billing statistics are still very basic and unfortunately the lack of tools to get a quick overview of resource consumption results in higher TCO for your customers.

Regards,
    Bernhard

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. R library for Cost Management

I would love to have a library for R language where I can easily specify the period, columns to be exported from Cost Management.
    From time to time the format of exported data changes and my scripts fail. I would need to have columns like Resource Type, Subscription when I group the data by a tag.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Tagging untagged resources

Help me track down and tag resources which haven't been tagged yet.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Base reports on billing month not current month

I would like to be able to put in my azure billing month (like the 21st - 21st) rather than the actual month and after that all reports would be based on those dates.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. v2 usage reports - German Cloud

Please implement v2 usage reports for subscriptions in the Microsoft Cloud Germany so customers can benefit from resource tags and better ways to monitor service costs.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. invoice items

not only have usage-based Invoices available. we need Invoices to different by Ressource Groups and Tags so we can difference the cost for cost unites.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Show Resource Names on Azure Bill and / or Usage Report

The Azure Bill details the Usage charges for different resource types but it doesn't specify the specific resource names so some investigative work is required to work out which resource is causing which cost.

Either breaking down on the invoice or providing the invoice information in the usage report (together with resource names) would make managing Azure costs easier.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Resource costs listing should have hyperlinks to bring you to that group / item

and or item for visibility directly into managing costs.
    right now they are plain text labels. shouldn't be hard to include hyperlink to the named resourcegroup or resource itself.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. See what the actual cost of my services would be WITHOUT my MSDN subscription

Show what the actual real-world costs would be when I make my application live and it no longer qualifies for MSDN discounts I can predict my budget - i.e How much I need to go live.

a "Based on your current daily spend of xx.xx - making this subscription live would cost ***.xx per day"

Another 'nice to have' may be "based on your previous 30 day usage - We recommend you upgrade zzzz service to xxxxx i.e S1 DB to a S2

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Great idea! This sounds like the cloud comparison capability in Azure Cost Management today. In this case, you would be able to compare the workload across subscription offer types. Does that sound right? Let us know and we’ll consider it as it gets voted up.

14. Separate out subscriptions for separate monitoring and billing live views

It would be cool to be able to have a blade for each subscription with the billing costs at the top of each to show monitoring and the costs breakdown for each item within a subscription. This will allow an administrator to see if one of the resources is getting out of wack cost wise and be able to manage that issue.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. compare cost over time

At present, we can view the cost over a particular time period. Pls add the option to compare costs over two different time periods through graphs or in table view.
    e.g. February vs March cost comparison at resource group level

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. export a list of untagged resources

Its great that you added "Untagged", "Tags not available" & "Tags not supported". Much appreciated!
    When grouping by specific tag and selecting to filter by "Untagged"
    Data is not shown and there is a message saying "No usage or purchases reported during this period - Remove filters".
    I would like to see these untagged resources, especially in a table view and export them so I could fill in the gaps.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Reservation resource type in Cost analysis

Row related to 'Reservation (order)' within Cost analysis overview contains the guid and its location. Rest of the columns:
    Resource group name - contains "Not applicable" value which is ok, reservation is even not related to subscription.
    Tags column - contains tags based on the ones that are filled in.

Would it be possible to display relevant information in Resource type column? Just to know that it is related to 'Reservation'.

Exported list also miss a value for this column. Would it be possible to put there 'microsoft.capacity/reservationorders' value in a same way as for the subscription related resources?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. We need a View where we can see the Total Ongoing cost by subscription deducting the Reserved instance in that subscription .

We need a View where we can see the Total Ongoing cost by subscription deducting the Reserved instance in that subscription.
    It is impossible to see the real on going estimated cost without having the reserved instance. This may be simple if you just have 1 subscription but if you have many reservations and subscriptions...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Introduce RBAC and let 'Billing Reader' use the connector as per Azure portal

We’ve seen in many customers that it’s difficult to get the “Enterprise Administrator” or “Billing account owner” roles and the customer’s request is just to have a dashboard that everybody can look at in order to monitor the costs.

The customers usually provide the “Billing Reader” role for monitoring/reporting activities. Also consider that with the “Billing Reader” role I can access Azure Cost analysis but I cannot do the same using the connector.

Is it possible to let also a "Billing Reader" role use effectively the Power BI connector?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to hide subscriptions in reports that don't meet spend minimum.

In Cloudyn I would like to be able have a filter or threshold setting where I could hide a subscription or service from appearing if the cost is below $10 , $100 , [$XX] threshold I set for the report.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base