Azure Key Vault

We are listening! Please take a few moments to submit your ideas or up-vote already submitted ideas by others. Azure Key Vault team regularly monitors and reviews all feedback submitted on this forum. You will be one of the first to know when a requested feature will be worked on! So be sure to vote or submit your ideas! Remember this site is for feature suggestions and ideas. For technical questions please try documentation, MSDN Forum or StackOverFlow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for nCipher HSM and CNG

Currently, Azure Key vault HSM doesn't support nCipher HSM and CNG ("nCipher World Key Provider"). Due to this we are not able to migrate few of our services to Azure and it become bottleneck for migration.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Key Vault Access Policies - Provide Identifier next to SP.

In some scenarios there can be 2 service principals created in Azure AD such as function apps which have been re created and have the same name, by providing the Id next to the name it will allow contributors to verify they have selected the correct service principal to grant access to, and not old SP's

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. How to grant the AKV access to the web app hosted in IIS

currently we are able to add the azure key vault access to the azure web app, but what is the app is not published to Azure, how to use the azure key vault with apps hosted in Azure VM IIS?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Custom applications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add the Secret version GUID in the diagnostic logging output when a secret is created (SecretSet)

The diagnostic logging output for Key Vaults do not include the version GUID when new secret or new version of an existing secret is created (SecretSet operation).

Current data in properties_id field:

https://<KeyVaultName>.vault.azure.net/secrets/test1234

Requested data in properties_id field:

https://<KeyVaultName>.vault.azure.net/secrets/test1234/38b6d47049704298affe8d0b1d3f47fb

We would like to use this functionality to correlate diagnostic log outputs for SecretUpdate operations to SecretSet operations without requiring access to the Key Vault objects themselves, we use this data for tracing security events.

The above method of including the version guid in the properties_id field is already used in a similar way when creating key versions (KeyCreate),…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. The Key vault should not allow it to be deleted

The Key vault should not allow it to be deleted, as long as it has associations with other resources. In Azure the vast majority of resources have this restriction, for a resource as important as the Key Vault should also have this validation before allowing its elimination.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Secure export options and access to KeyVault secrets from login screens

Would be great to have following options in Key Vault – structured security permissions for all cryptographic resources. Possibility to deliver KeyVault secrets to users in secure way – direct export to encrypted archive + password, without use of system clipboard. One more option – direct access to KeyVault secret from mstsc or Windows Hello login screen, without copying of the sensitive information via system clipboard. Together with MFA security option KeyVault secret assigned to appropriate user can work as primary or backup login option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. I facing issue while settng / getting secret keys using Key Voult API. I am getting 501 response from these API's

I facing issue while settng / getting secret keys using Key Voult API. I am getting 501 response from these API's

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I facing issue while settng / getting secret keys using Key Voult API. I am getting 501 response from these API's

I facing issue while settng / getting secret keys using Key Voult API. I am getting 501 response from these API's

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Don't show Key Vault secrete values in the Azure Portal

Today when secrets are added to Key Vault, the value of secret is visible in Azure Portal (initially secrets are masked out, but clicking on secret allows to see its value secret).

There should be an option NOT to see secret's value once it’s added to the vault.

This way if Azure Portal is compromised, secretes are still secure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Soft-Deleting KeyVault should release the Resource name

If I delete a KeyVault with "SoftDelete", it should be possible to create a new KeyVault with the same name.

An internal versioning logic should be able to distinguish between the versions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. CDN - SSL - Incorrect version selected on dropdown

CDN Profiles -> Custom Domain -> HTTPS -> Own certificate, once the KeyVault Certificate/Secret Version dropdown is loaded, it seems to always select the first item (current version) even though it is an older version that's currently deployed.

In order to actually deploy the current version, user will need to first select an older version and then re-select the current version because the save button is disabled by default.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Certificates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow access to the public part of KEYS in KeyVault from ARM templates

It would be very useful to be able to generate a key and then get the public portion to pass to the appSettings for another App.

This is needed for secure deployments where some apps may be in different security 'zones' where they cannot have access to a shared key-vault.

Generating a key would be useful, especially if we could request that one be generated only if it does not already exist.

At the very least having access to the public portion of the key in the same way we have access to a secret would be very helpful:

&quot;publicJsonKey&quot;
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add support for STORING the Storage Account Key in addition to rotating it.

Add support for STORING the Storage Account Key in addition to rotating it. Rotating the key is only part of the issue for us, the other half is making it available to application teams in a manner that doesn't require us to give them direct access to each and every storage account at the azure resource level. We prefer to give the team a key vault and store the keys in the kv, which makes it simple for the application team to reference it. When it is updated, we update the kv and that's that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I had come across scenario wherein AZURE Key vault doesn’t clear entries of User/application in the “Access policies”, when we delete respec

I had come across scenario wherein AZURE Key vault doesn’t clear entries of User/application in the “Access policies”, when we delete respective object in Azure AD. I’m wondering, if this require manual way of clearing all stale reference in AKV access polices on regular basis? if that is the case, can we include this feature with upcoming release so that customer needn’t to worry about manually cleanup?

Please refer attached screenshot which has multiple stale reference part of Access polices, even though actual object were deleted from Azure AD tenant.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Certificates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. allowing special characters in vault name

Is it possible to allow special characters in vault names, such as "QaKeyVault.CompanyName" ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Arm template to get the reference of Azure Search admin and query keys

I wanted to add Azure Search admin and query keys as a secret to key vault using ARM template. Is there a way to do it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. KeyVault's secrets improved usability with a Portal

Adding secret with aplain text (not hashed like now).
    Easier getting secret value like icon on secrets list

Currently you have to expose secret trying to get it value with a portal and it's secured / hashed when you try to add/change it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Semicolon bug in Microsoft.Azure.Services.AppAuthentication

Hi

I have found a bug in Microsoft.Azure.Services.AppAuthentication package.

When a {ClientSecret} is generated with a semicolon eg. )}/}I;:}=&GG8U{Zt;4+[Jd{
    you can reproduce the bug.

I wanted to use AzureServiceTokenProvider to obtain token for keyvault as mentioned in article --

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/key-vault/service-to-service-authentication#running-the-application-using-managed-identity

Running the application using a Service Principal

To sign in using an Azure AD shared secret credential:

RunAs=App;AppId={AppId};TenantId={TenantId};AppKey={ClientSecret}

When the {ClientSecret} is generated without any semicolon, this approach works well.

Request you to please fix the issue.

Regards
    Sekhar Shrivastava

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is fixed in the preview in the following preview…please try it out and let us know if you have any feedback

nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Azure.Services..
    Release Notes
    Documentation can be found at go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=862452.

Improvements for local development token request times
    Support for CancellationTokens
    Support for specifying user-assigned identity in SQL connection string with SqlAppAuthenticationProvider
    Adding retry logic for MsiAccessTokenProvider
    Removing TenantId as required connection string parameter when using KeyVaultCertificateSecretIdentifier parameter
    Adding quote escaping for connection string parameter values
    Other minor fixes and test updates

19. Key upload to vault from centos machine

I need to upload public keys present in my centos machine to azure vault using azure cli .I used az keyvault key import --vault-name 'ContosoKeyVault' --name 'ContosoFirstKey' --pem-file 'path of the key' --pem-password 'Pa$$w0rd' --protection software this command . But i am not able to do this.Can anyone suggest me a solution.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Manually add (or re-add) App Service Key to Key Vault?

Is there a way that I can re-add my App Service Certificate to my Key Vault?
    The reason I'm asking is that I accidentally deleted the certificate from the Key Vault. The App Service Certificate resource is still there, but the certificate no longer shows up in my Key Vault (obviously).

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53202773/azure-manually-add-app-service-certificate-to-key-vault

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base