Azure Key Vault

We are listening! Please take a few moments to submit your ideas or up-vote already submitted ideas by others. Azure Key Vault team regularly monitors and reviews all feedback submitted on this forum. You will be one of the first to know when a requested feature will be worked on! So be sure to vote or submit your ideas! Remember this site is for feature suggestions and ideas. For technical questions please try documentation, MSDN Forum or StackOverFlow

Do you have an idea or a suggestion for Azure Key Vault based on your experience?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Pls add ECDSA certificate support to Azure Key Vault.

Pls add ECDSA certificate support to Azure Key Vault.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Certificates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Events when key or secrets are changed or updated in key vault

It’s important to know if keys / Secrets are updated in key vault so that necessary actions with consuming application can be taken when this occurs...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add sanity check before disabling or deleting keys if they are in use by a storage account

I experienced issues regarding accidental key disabling and deletion.
    There is no check if the keys are use by any storage account which leads to not being able to switch/access keys and storage errors on the vms which use those storage account also it block from deleting vms.

If this happens on production a simple mistake could take down a whole environment by accidentally disable or delete a key which was used to encrypt os disks of the vms.

A simple check if the key is still actively in use by a storage account which throws an "KeyStillInUseError" would prevent…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Encryption at rest  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support certificate revocation

Key vault supports obtaining certificates from number of CAs and this works great.

However, Key Vault does not currently provide interface to revoke such certificates, leaving a gap in certificate lifecycle management.

Please extend integration between Key Vault and supported CAs to support revocation in addition to issuance.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Certificates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support for adding a policy for an MSI without removing all other access policies

When I create a web app with a Managed Service Identity and want to grant it access to an EXISTING vault, the ARM template for that - even when in incremental mode - removes the other existing access policies from the vault. Only the one for the newly added MSI will be there afterwards.

This effectively disables any scenario where you want to use an existing key vault for a new web app.

Similar to what has been reported here:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47667050/azure-keyvault-add-function-msi-via-arm

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Azure Key Vault Step 3.2 for Thales HSM security world initialization uses deprecated cipher suite

In this document:

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/blob/master/articles/key-vault/key-vault-hsm-protected-keys.md

The step 3.2 suggests you should initialize your security world with:

new-world.exe --initialize --cipher-suite=DLf1024s160mRijndael --module=1 --acs-quorum=2/3

DLf1024s160mRijndael is the Thales nShield HSM legacy cipher suite, and should not be used in Production environments. The cipher suite should be DLf3072s256mRijndael so the command should be:

new-world.exe --initialize --cipher-suite=DLf3072s256mRijndael --module=1 --acs-quorum=2/3

I suggest updating the step to reflect the newer cipher suite.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. manage permissions on an entry level

We are creating a solution where multiple services (backend servers from different departments, ...), will use key vault to retreive their access keys. It would be great to be able to give a backend service access to only the relevant entry (e.g. only to secret1 and certificate2).
    The problem is, that a user that has access (to secrets for example), automatically has access to all secrets.

In other words: Add access policies to secrets, keys and certificates

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. [Azure Key Vault] Microsoft.Azure.KeyVault library should provide a *default* retry policy

Microsoft.Azure.KeyVault library should provide a *default* retry policy, which consider the Key Vault SLAs and operational capabilities (e.g. failover).

Just like the Azure Storage Client library.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Simplify key rotation process

Make it easier to rotate keys. Currently, when creating a new version it becomes the default version immediately - which makes the process very risky. It will be better to be able to do this process manually (marking a key as default) - so I can do it when I'm ready. Or, even better - support decrtpting using the old keys like AWS KMS or GCP KMS are doing.

References:
    https://docs.aws.amazon.com/kms/latest/developerguide/rotate-keys.html
    https://cloud.google.com/kms/docs/key-rotation

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add support for PGP keys

Many of our vendors require us to send them files via SFTP using their public encryption keys most of which are PGP keys. As we start to migrate our Managed File Transfer service to Azure we'd like to leverage storing these keys in Azure Key Vault

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Filter on key-vault Secrets, Keys and Certificates

We keep a lot of secrets in key vaults, would be great to have some way of finding particular secret easier. Same applies to Keys and Certificates.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Extend KeyVault Certificates funcationality to allow for use as an Enterprise CA.

Extend the functionality of Key Vault Certificates to all for using as an Enterprise CA with functionality similar to Active Directory Certificate Services.

New service should integrate with the virtual network.
    Should support the use of modern crypto and hashing.
    Should support ECDSA Keys
    Should support root CA key being in an HSM.
    Should auto configure an OcSP end point.
    Should warn against use of legacy crypto.
    Should allow for cross-subscription connecting (need to connect my dev\test key vault to my enterprise keyvault CA.
    Should integrate with KeyVault Policies to allow for RBAC.

Post Setup: Allow export of GPO for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Certificates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow secret versions to be deleted

You can create multiple versions for a given secret, however the api only allows a delete to be performed at the secret level and not for an individual version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Translate User/Service Principal names into GUIDs in the portal

Given that the Access Policies show only the user or service principal name in the portal, it would be very nice to be able to be able to determine the GUIDs that these names resolve to troubleshoot issues.

Having the same name listed multiple times with different GUIDs may prove confusing, so taking it one step further, the portal could also resolve the GUIDs (user, SP, Groups, Application IDs) into their objects for full information, perhaps by using something like Graph’s GetObjectsByObjectIds.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow users to link azure resource credentials into key vault secrets

So ideally a user could create a key in a vault then be allowed to navigate to a resources credentials and store the password or username as the key value. This avoids credentials going out if date if users have build an API that calls secrets via AAD tokens. I'd use it for storage accounts,SQL servers etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Azure Key vault api's return a 401 when the resource is https://vault.azure.net/

The Azure key vault data plane API does not work when the signing resource is https://vault.azure.net/ and works fine with https://vault.azure.net . This seems to be pretty lame as only a forward slash should not make that much of a difference.
    The other resource such as management.azure.com works pretty fine with the forward slash

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Azure Key Vault, Runtime error on create Key API-REST

I have got a bug (I think).

First of all, the normal input like label1, works ok. So I use the API fine.

I have tested the possible names for a key, to know what type of inputs are compatible.
    The name of key is in URL:

POST https://{vaultBaseUrl}/keys/{key-name}/create?api-version=2016-10-01

So I wanted try with typical hacking inputs "'<

I have encoded the inputs using URL Enconder, like this %22%27%3C

The final url is:

POST https://{vaultBaseUrl}/keys/%22%27%3C/create?api-version=2016-10-01

And it produces a Runtime Error and sends internal information (show attached file), I think the correct answer should be 400 bad request.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. download a vault credential without login to Azure portal

My coworker sometimes set up Azure Agent Backup, though he does not have azure portal login accont.
    So when he set up Azure Agent Backup, I need to download the vault credential and pass it to him every time.
    Because of this, my coworker cannot set up Azure Agent Backup when I cannot pass him a vault credential.
    So I want to download a vault credential without login to Azure portal.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Key Vault creation fails in CSP subscription

Using google chrome version 54.0.2840.99 m (64-bit) and portal.azure.com

When creating a new Key Vault inside an CSP subscription the following Error occurs:
    see attached screenshot

My logged in user (example.adminuserr1) is member of the parent CSP AzureAD Tenants' (@csp.onmicrosoft.com) group "AdminAgents". I am working inside a subscription attatched to an customer AzureAD Tenant (@customer.onmicrosoft.com) created through PartnerCenter CSP Dashboard.

I can replicate this error with other Accounts in the "AdminAgents" group located in the parent CSP AzureAD Tenant (example.user2@csp.onmicrosoft.com).

I can create the keyvault with an user from the customer AzureAD Tenant (example.user@customer.onmicrosoft.com) without issues.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Key Vault Secret Backup / Restore Role

You can currently backup / restore keys from Keyvault. it would be helpful to be able to provide backup/ restore functionality and roles for Secrets.
    the current design assumption is these would also be stored within an on-prem password vault or documentation or equivalent. however operational best practice varies across companies as such a catch all should allow the backup and restore of secrets as you can with KEYS.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base