Azure Key Vault

We are listening! Please take a few moments to submit your ideas or up-vote already submitted ideas by others. Azure Key Vault team regularly monitors and reviews all feedback submitted on this forum. You will be one of the first to know when a requested feature will be worked on! So be sure to vote or submit your ideas! Remember this site is for feature suggestions and ideas. For technical questions please try documentation, MSDN Forum or StackOverFlow

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for Ed25519 SSH keys in Azure Key Vault

as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/mac-create-ssh-keys
    'Azure currently supports SSH protocol 2 (SSH-2) RSA public-private key pairs with a minimum length of 2048 bits. Other key formats such as ED25519 and ECDSA are not supported.'

As ED25519 standard is more and more popular, also faster, more secure and supported out of the box on likes of Ubuntu and other platforms using latest OpenSSH it would be very handy addition.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve PowerShell error messages

Hello,

I found an issue that when calling get-AzKeyVaultSecret from PS, it returns useless error "forbidden". When instead I call az keyvault secret show from Bash, i get error that "IP address *** not allowed".

PS Azure:\> Get-AzKeyVaultSecret -vaultname tbtest3-kv
    Get-AzKeyVaultSecret : Operation returned an invalid status code 'Forbidden'
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-AzKeyVaultSecret -vaultname tbtest3-kv
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : CloseError: (:) [Get-AzKeyVaultSecret], KeyVaultErrorException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Azure.Commands.KeyVault.GetAzureKeyVaultSecret

tomas@Azure:~$ az keyvault secret show --name "AppSecret" --vault-name "tbtest3-kv"
    Client address (137.117.226.47) is not authorized and caller is not a trusted service

The IP restriction is intentional, but it appears so…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Snapshot Entire Vault for Backup and Restore

The current backup/restore solution for Keyvault keys, secrets and certs takes a lot of time to perform.
    It would be great if you could snapshot a whole Keyvault and save the backup. This would allow restore to use that backup snapshot.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Support for adding a policy for an MSI without removing all other access policies

When I create a web app with a Managed Service Identity and want to grant it access to an EXISTING vault, the ARM template for that - even when in incremental mode - removes the other existing access policies from the vault. Only the one for the newly added MSI will be there afterwards.

This effectively disables any scenario where you want to use an existing key vault for a new web app.

Similar to what has been reported here:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47667050/azure-keyvault-add-function-msi-via-arm

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Azure Key Vault Step 3.2 for Thales HSM security world initialization uses deprecated cipher suite

In this document:

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/blob/master/articles/key-vault/key-vault-hsm-protected-keys.md

The step 3.2 suggests you should initialize your security world with:

new-world.exe --initialize --cipher-suite=DLf1024s160mRijndael --module=1 --acs-quorum=2/3

DLf1024s160mRijndael is the Thales nShield HSM legacy cipher suite, and should not be used in Production environments. The cipher suite should be DLf3072s256mRijndael so the command should be:

new-world.exe --initialize --cipher-suite=DLf3072s256mRijndael --module=1 --acs-quorum=2/3

I suggest updating the step to reflect the newer cipher suite.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Simplify key rotation process

Make it easier to rotate keys. Currently, when creating a new version it becomes the default version immediately - which makes the process very risky. It will be better to be able to do this process manually (marking a key as default) - so I can do it when I'm ready. Or, even better - support decrtpting using the old keys like AWS KMS or GCP KMS are doing.

References:
    https://docs.aws.amazon.com/kms/latest/developerguide/rotate-keys.html
    https://cloud.google.com/kms/docs/key-rotation

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow Keyvault purge when 'purge protection' is enabled

Purge protection is a required setting for our InfoSec team. Unfortunately we cannot move a keyvault from one region to another one, and we cannot completely get it purged (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/key-vault/key-vault-ovw-soft-delete / https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/keyvault/vaults/purgedeleted).
    There should be a mechanism/procedure to force a keyvault purge (even by raising an INC to MS)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. function on consumption plan can be added "trusted services azure service" key vault behind firewall

would like to keep Azure key vault secure, at the same time that the Azure function on consumption plan can access the Key vault.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Translate User/Service Principal names into GUIDs in the portal

Given that the Access Policies show only the user or service principal name in the portal, it would be very nice to be able to be able to determine the GUIDs that these names resolve to troubleshoot issues.

Having the same name listed multiple times with different GUIDs may prove confusing, so taking it one step further, the portal could also resolve the GUIDs (user, SP, Groups, Application IDs) into their objects for full information, perhaps by using something like Graph’s GetObjectsByObjectIds.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow users to link azure resource credentials into key vault secrets

So ideally a user could create a key in a vault then be allowed to navigate to a resources credentials and store the password or username as the key value. This avoids credentials going out if date if users have build an API that calls secrets via AAD tokens. I'd use it for storage accounts,SQL servers etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. download a vault credential without login to Azure portal

My coworker sometimes set up Azure Agent Backup, though he does not have azure portal login accont.
    So when he set up Azure Agent Backup, I need to download the vault credential and pass it to him every time.
    Because of this, my coworker cannot set up Azure Agent Backup when I cannot pass him a vault credential.
    So I want to download a vault credential without login to Azure portal.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Key Vault Secret Backup / Restore Role

You can currently backup / restore keys from Keyvault. it would be helpful to be able to provide backup/ restore functionality and roles for Secrets.
    the current design assumption is these would also be stored within an on-prem password vault or documentation or equivalent. however operational best practice varies across companies as such a catch all should allow the backup and restore of secrets as you can with KEYS.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Improve error messaging for Key Vault firewall vNet integration

If you try to add a vNet/subnet to a Key Vault's firewall, the subscription where that vNet lives must have the Key Vault resource provider registered. If the Key Vault resource provider is not registered in the vNet's subscription, the error you see leads you down a different rabbit hole. Here's an example of the error message:

Virtual Network could not be validated. code: AuthorizationFailed. message: "The client '{guid}' with object id '{same_guid}' does not have authorization to perform action 'microsoft.network/virtualnetworks/taggedTrafficConsumers/validate/action' over scope '/subscriptions/my-vNet-subscription-guid/resourcegroups/my-Resource-Group/providers/microsoft.network/virtualnetworks/my-vNet/taggedTrafficConsumers/Microsoft.KeyVault.centralus' or the scope is invalid. If access was recently granted, please refresh your credentials.".

That error…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Additional Event Types for Key Vault integration with Event Grid

How about some additional event types, specifically Microsoft.KeyVault.SecretDeleted, Microsoft.KeyVault.CertificateDeleted, and Microsoft.KeyVault.KeyDeleted ?

I'd like be able to subscribe to delete events. The *NewVersionCreated event types fire when adding a new key vault object or a new version is saved but I need to know when an object is deleted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. keyvault version control and management

enable versioning and tagging of entire keyvault properties to enable quick switching between configurations

AND/OR enable online backup of keyvault to achieve the same effect

Additionally, the keyvault user interface is very hard and inefficient to make a lot of changes and is error prone, so an improved table based UI might help ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow ALL PaaS services to be trusted by KeyVault. Without this, firewall rules are unmanageable

Allow all PaaS services to be trusted by KeyVault. Without this, firewall rules are unmanageable. Data factory has dynamic IPs, MIcrosoft solution to me was to add the 220 IP ranges for West US 2. Sadly, KeyVault only allows 127 entries. - Solution? Use the self hosted runtimes (higher cost). My solution if you want Key Vault to be enterprise ready, in the firewall screen, make it as simple as explicitly selecting an Azure service and saying - allow access - why do I have to figure out IP ranges? (too many anyway).Lets help the Azure Key Vault product team…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support for nCipher HSM and CNG

Currently, Azure Key vault HSM doesn't support nCipher HSM and CNG ("nCipher World Key Provider"). Due to this we are not able to migrate few of our services to Azure and it become bottleneck for migration.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Key Vault Access Policies - Provide Identifier next to SP.

In some scenarios there can be 2 service principals created in Azure AD such as function apps which have been re created and have the same name, by providing the Id next to the name it will allow contributors to verify they have selected the correct service principal to grant access to, and not old SP's

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. improve client exceptions around auth failures due to traffic routing failures

I just spent a couple days trying to figure out why we couldn't use a service principal to auth against KeyVault from our on prem servers.

It turned out we had failed to setup SNAT rules for a bank of machines, but none of the exceptions emitted by the client libraries were at all helpful in figuring this out.

I've attached sample exceptions we got from the 2 different versions of the nuget packages we tried, but it was basically these 2 messages:

Exception Message: Access token could not be acquired. Object reference not set to an instance of an…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix the article on Key Vault backups

This article https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kv/2018/07/20/announcing-backup-and-restore-of-keys-secrets-and-certificates/ has some pretty major errors, such as stating that the CLI command line to backup a secret is the same as the one to backup a key. Someone needs to review and correct this article.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base