Do you have an idea or a suggestion for Azure Key Vault based on your experience?

ARM Template for KeyVault to have AccessPolicies non-mandatory

Hi,
It would be better for idempotency and the ability to create Keyvault first, with additional incrementally run ARM templates to have AccessPolicies as non-mandatory.

It is already possible to incrementally add AccessPolicies once you have a KeyVault, but it is not possible to create or update a Keyvault via ARM without specifying the AccessPolicies... which is a problem for update - you need to know all the existing AccessPolicies before you do the update or it will get reverted to whatever you specify.

41 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dan Byrne shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Filip Scherwin Lindboe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I have a fully automated deployment using Azure DevOps. Here i have some access policies that needs to be assigned more dynamically according to context, so i am setting these through a script. Other access policies are static and is set using ARM template. But the fact that the access policies are being overwritten when deploying the ARM template has caused me some grief.

• Toby Meyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This breaks incremental deployments in a fundamental way. I use other deployment actions to manipulate KV permissions programmatically & this makes it substantially more complex.

Feedback and Knowledge Base