Azure Key Vault

We are listening! Please take a few moments to submit your ideas or up-vote already submitted ideas by others. Azure Key Vault team regularly monitors and reviews all feedback submitted on this forum. You will be one of the first to know when a requested feature will be worked on! So be sure to vote or submit your ideas! Remember this site is for feature suggestions and ideas. For technical questions please try documentation, MSDN Forum or StackOverFlow

1. KeyVault's secrets improved usability with a Portal

Adding secret with aplain text (not hashed like now).
    Easier getting secret value like icon on secrets list

Currently you have to expose secret trying to get it value with a portal and it's secured / hashed when you try to add/change it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Semicolon bug in Microsoft.Azure.Services.AppAuthentication

Hi

I have found a bug in Microsoft.Azure.Services.AppAuthentication package.

When a {ClientSecret} is generated with a semicolon eg. )}/}I;:}=&GG8U{Zt;4+[Jd{
    you can reproduce the bug.

I wanted to use AzureServiceTokenProvider to obtain token for keyvault as mentioned in article --

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/key-vault/service-to-service-authentication#running-the-application-using-managed-identity

Running the application using a Service Principal

To sign in using an Azure AD shared secret credential:

RunAs=App;AppId={AppId};TenantId={TenantId};AppKey={ClientSecret}

When the {ClientSecret} is generated without any semicolon, this approach works well.

Request you to please fix the issue.

Regards
    Sekhar Shrivastava

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is fixed in the preview in the following preview…please try it out and let us know if you have any feedback

nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Azure.Services..
    Release Notes
    Documentation can be found at go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=862452.

Improvements for local development token request times
    Support for CancellationTokens
    Support for specifying user-assigned identity in SQL connection string with SqlAppAuthenticationProvider
    Adding retry logic for MsiAccessTokenProvider
    Removing TenantId as required connection string parameter when using KeyVaultCertificateSecretIdentifier parameter
    Adding quote escaping for connection string parameter values
    Other minor fixes and test updates

3. Active Directory Certificate Service as external CA Provider

Create an integration that allows the use of an existing on-prem or Azure VM Active Directory Certificate Services' CA to issue certificates.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Certificates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Extend KeyVault Certificates funcationality to allow for use as an Enterprise CA.

Extend the functionality of Key Vault Certificates to all for using as an Enterprise CA with functionality similar to Active Directory Certificate Services.

New service should integrate with the virtual network.
    Should support the use of modern crypto and hashing.
    Should support ECDSA Keys
    Should support root CA key being in an HSM.
    Should auto configure an OcSP end point.
    Should warn against use of legacy crypto.
    Should allow for cross-subscription connecting (need to connect my dev\test key vault to my enterprise keyvault CA.
    Should integrate with KeyVault Policies to allow for RBAC.

Post Setup: Allow export of GPO for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Certificates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Support for Future/Scheduled Certificate Versions

I would like the ability to create a new certificate version in advance while continuing to use the current version for some time. In my scenario, I have a server application that issues digital signatures that IoT devices in the field need to verify, and the devices need the application’s public-key-containing certificate to perform this operation.

Currently, when I renew the server application’s certificate, I must distribute it to all devices at that point in a “big bang” fashion. (To be precise, the devices detect that the certificate thumbprint sent with the signatures has changed, and they get the new…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support encryption/decryption for Elliptic Curve Cryptography, eg. for ECDH

Currently only Sign and Verify action can be executed with elliptic curve (EC) keys. Add a possibility to use EC keys also for encryption and decryption (together with counterpart public key).
    For example, EC keys are used for encryption/decryption in steem blockchain.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Key upload to vault from centos machine

I need to upload public keys present in my centos machine to azure vault using azure cli .I used az keyvault key import --vault-name 'ContosoKeyVault' --name 'ContosoFirstKey' --pem-file 'path of the key' --pem-password 'Pa$$w0rd' --protection software this command . But i am not able to do this.Can anyone suggest me a solution.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Pls add ECDSA certificate support to Azure Key Vault.

Pls add ECDSA certificate support to Azure Key Vault.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Certificates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to sign cert with another self-signed cert

It would be nice to create a root cert and store it in the keyvault. Then, create other self signed certs that are signed by the root cert. This would allow me to create a single CA for my cluster, then create certs for the various microservices in the cluster so they could communicate securely. I would simply need to install the root cert on all the machines.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Certificates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Manually add (or re-add) App Service Key to Key Vault?

Is there a way that I can re-add my App Service Certificate to my Key Vault?
    The reason I'm asking is that I accidentally deleted the certificate from the Key Vault. The App Service Certificate resource is still there, but the certificate no longer shows up in my Key Vault (obviously).

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53202773/azure-manually-add-app-service-certificate-to-key-vault

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add filtering and column sorting options to Keys, Secrets and Certificates

Background:

Is it just me, or is it really annoying that you can't write any filters or sort on columns in the Key Vault resource? We will have like 1500 keys when our projects reaches it's final stage, and the "Show more"-button is really not my best friend.

Suggestion:

Make the lists of Keys, Secrets and Certificates sortable on column name, and add a filter/search field to improve management when browsing the vault using Azure Portal.

To find a Secret in a long list it requires you to scroll down, and press "Load more" which is not convinient at all.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Export Certificate as PKCS12/PFX Does Not Provide Passphrase Encoding

Export Certificate as PKCS12/PFX Does Not Provide Passphrase Encoding.

According to PCKS #12 we should have a password to protect the private key that is exported with the cert. Currently the key vault gives you a warning during export/download that no password is used, however it doesn't provide the capability to provide a passphrase.

Strangely enough the API Manager and other Azure Resources require imported certificates to have a passphrase. This makes the two services fairly incompatible.

It would be good if Certificates exported from KeyVaults have the option to protect the private key with a passphrase as per PKCS…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Firewall IP Address description field

To increase security management, add a description field to the Firewalls and Virtual Networks list (just like other services).

Currently it is just a list of IP addresses and we need to remember which ones are valid and which ones we should delete or expire In SQL server firewall, you can add a description to the IP addresses. Great if you can do the same.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow secret versions to be deleted

You can create multiple versions for a given secret, however the api only allows a delete to be performed at the secret level and not for an individual version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Events when key or secrets are changed or updated in key vault

It’s important to know if keys / Secrets are updated in key vault so that necessary actions with consuming application can be taken when this occurs...

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Rotate secrets when they are uploaded in bulk to vault

As a compliance activity we remove secrets (app secrets, connection strings, etc) from code and upload them to Azure Key Vault. That provides an opportunity to roll them and have fresh secrets at the moment they are put into the vault.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow certificate upload from Azure Storage

Currently, the only way to upload a certificate to a Key Vault is to have the file stored locally on the computer that is doing the upload.
    Having the possibility to upload the cert from a Blob would be ideal, as that would mean our certificates could be safely hosted being encrypted Azure Storage, and retrieved with a SAS and directly uploaded to Azure Key Vault without needing to download it locally, and then upload it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Portal experience for 'On-Boarding' a Storage Account Key / SAS Rotation

Portal experience for creating a Key Vault Managed Storage Account and/or for 'On-Boarding' a Storage Account into being managed by a given Key Vault Key

This is possible with PowerShell and AzureCLI (as described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/key-vault/key-vault-ovw-storage-key) but there is not portal experience for doing this.

Originally mentioned in this Github Issue:
    https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/issues/10555

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add EV Code Signing certificate support with Azure Pipeline.

Permit EV code signing of Azure Pipeline builds from certs stored and even created in Key Vault. E.g. Key Valut/DigiCert/other integration to issue the cert.

Then allow CI builds with no EV and EV for final builds. May need an optional 2FA approval mechanism for a final build 'job'. E.g. Authentication app prompt. But make it optional please.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Microsoft should be using standards based key exchanges

Microsoft should not be calling out a specific vendor and have them be a requirement. Instead, they should offer a standards based solution that allows the customer to use their existing HSM. Thales might not be the right choice for every enterprise.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base