Azure Key Vault

We are listening! Please take a few moments to submit your ideas or up-vote already submitted ideas by others. Azure Key Vault team regularly monitors and reviews all feedback submitted on this forum. You will be one of the first to know when a requested feature will be worked on! So be sure to vote or submit your ideas! Remember this site is for feature suggestions and ideas. For technical questions please try documentation, MSDN Forum or StackOverFlow

1. ARM Template support for Certificates and Issuers

Hi,

Currently KeyVault only supports adding new secrets using ARM templates.

Certificates are common part of any service today, just like secrets, and I would like to be able to create them in my vault using my ARM templates.

Due to this limitation, currently my provisioning scripts are split to 3 parts(!):
    1. ARM Template for preparation (create the KV)
    2. Powershell to create the certificates inside the KV
    3. ARM Template for the remaining provisioning, that in some parts rely on getting the certificate private part (by accessing the "secret" entity on the KV)

This doesn't make sense.

At…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Certificates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow key vault references without version

It was previously possible to reference key vault settings without specifying the secret version in the URL. i.e. https://myvault.vault.azure.net/secrets/mysecret/

And would automatically reference the most current version of the secret.

This functionality stopped working after a rollout on 9 August 2019.

This is a very useful feature when you need to use secrets across different environments as it is cumbersome to update the references whenever a secret needs to be updated.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support for KMIP protocol

KMIP is a standard protocol for interacting with vaults. It's supported by major vendors including NetApp. Keyvault should support this feature to allow centralized key management.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Include Azure Automation on Key Vault Firewall under "Trusted Microsoft Services"

Currently, Azure Automation accesses Azure Key Vaults through public endpoints (Azure Data Center Public IPs). As such, Automation cannot function unless a firewall exclusion is in place in the key vault settings. Unfortunately, Azure has hundreds of public IP addresses, which could change at a moments notice. This, in effect, negates use of the Key Vault firewall altogether and requires you to allow incoming untrusted networks.

There is a firewall setting "Allow Trusted Microsoft Services", which allows select services to bypass the firewall. Automation is not included in this list. It would be a great help to include it; immediately…

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to reference a secret without having to specify the secret version explicitly

Hi! Currently the only way to specify a KeyVault reference is to specify the version as well. Could this perhaps be changed to be able to reference a particular version by default (perhaps the newest one). This would really help in the case that a secret needs to be updated and a particular version is no longer valid. Currently I have to go back and change my secret, fetch the new secret version and update all the references accordingly. This gets really tedious when you have a lot of secrets to keep track of.

To make this clear:

Currently my…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Notes Field

Our team was evaluating AKV to replace KeePass as a department credential storage medium, one of the most useful features missing is the ability to add notes or comments to a credential. Context is for Kings, sometimes a credential needs descriptions or even instructions, pairing those with the credential is valuable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Auto Rotate Secrets on connected Resources

Microsoft docs highly recommends the keys/secrets/certificates to be rotated on regular interval for better security posture.

The rotation is only possible by writing powershell code and dont have luxury to write and maintain for every resource.

It would be great to have a feature in Key Vault to do that for us when a resource is connected. Resource could be PaaS SQL, Storage account, Azure Ad APP etc.

KeyVault talks about writing powershell code to recycle keys on storage account.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/key-vault/key-vault-key-rotation-log-monitoring

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support storing certificates without private keys

Right now keyvault doesn't allow storing a certificate WITHOUT the private key in the keyvault. This is useful for a number of use-cases, eg:

• storing an internal CA public cert in the same place other internal certs are stored

• Store the public cert for trusted clients, where the private key is only on the client

The "workaround" right now is to store unsupported cert forms either in a storage account, or as secrets. Storage accounts aren't ideal b/c they are conceptually separate and are not audited in the same way; and don't support the same ability to browse or search…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Certificates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow more than 24 characters for key vault name length

Please allow more than 24 characters for key vault name length. Using a standard naming convention across Azure resources that includes the resource type, region, and landscape doesn't leave many characters for the key vault name. Web Apps also utilize globally unique DNS names and support up to 60 characters. Supporting up to 60 character names would make it easier for us to use our standardized naming convention.

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add support for PGP keys

Many of our vendors require us to send them files via SFTP using their public encryption keys most of which are PGP keys. As we start to migrate our Managed File Transfer service to Azure we'd like to leverage storing these keys in Azure Key Vault

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Microsoft Security World Information for Key Vault

I would like to see the security worldpackage information for the Key Vault in the Kyeey Vault information so that it is easier to deduce the package to us. This must be made available in AzPs, CLI, SDK and via the REST APIs

Get-AzureRmKeyVault -VaultName Bxxxxxxxp

VaultUri : https://bxxxxxxxp.vault.azure.net/
    TenantId : 0b98xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxf102
    TenantName : 0b98xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxf102
    Sku : Premium
    EnabledForDeployment : False
    EnabledForTemplateDeployment : False
    EnabledForDiskEncryption : False
    EnableSoftDelete :
    OriginalVault : Microsoft.Azure.Management.KeyVault.Models.Vault
    ResourceId : /subscriptions/2ed3xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxf1f7/resourceGroups/Bxxxxxxxp/providers/Microsoft.KeyVault/vaults/Bxxxxxxxp
    VaultName : Bxxxxxxxp
    ResourceGroupName : Bxxxxxxxp
    Tags : {}
    TagsTable :
    SecurityWorldRegion : Europe | France | Germany etc.

> Name of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Key Vault virtual machine extension for Linux, support for Centos

Centos is not supported by vm extension Microsoft.Azure.KeyVault.KeyVaultForLinux:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/extensions/key-vault-linux?branch=pr-en-us-91477

Operating system
    The Key Vault VM extension supports these Linux distributions:

Ubuntu-1604
    Ubuntu-1804
    Debian-9
    Suse-15

============
    Centos / Redhat is a VERY popular choice for linux servers in azure. Could we please add support for this extension to be used on centos vm's in azure?

For the record, I'm getting this error when trying to install Microsoft.Azure.KeyVault.KeyVaultForLinux-1.0.921.6 on a centos web host:

```````````````````
    cli.azure.cli.core.util : Deployment failed. Correlation ID: 671c3bed-2e64-40fc-a4ed-01d13d5fd3d6. VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'KeyVaultForLinux'. Error message: "Failed to get status file [Errno 2] No such file…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Certificates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Dedicated HSMs as-a-service

Hi,

It would be really great to be able to achieve FIPS level 3 in a (new, separately priced) tier in KeyVault.

Today, we would have to step into the domain of a dedicated HSM for that, which is a completely different beast to tackle (and it has no SLA).

So - please consider adding FIPS level 3 as an option to KeyVault, and make it possible to upgrade an existing vault to this level.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. KeyVaultErrorException Error validating token: IDX10223 after changing timezone on laptop

KeyVaultErrorException Error validating token: IDX10223 after changing timezone on laptop

Fix exception after changing timezone on laptop. Or warn developers not to change timezones on business trip.

Went on business trip where I changed the timezone.
    Everything worked fine.
    Returned home and restored timezone.
    .Net Core application stops working due to exception.

Microsoft.Azure.KeyVault.Models.KeyVaultErrorException Error validating token: IDX10223
    HResult=0x80131500
    Message=Error validating token: IDX10223
    Source=Microsoft.Azure.KeyVault

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Facilitate Key Valut Diagnostics Policies

A Key Vault and the corresponding Diagnostics are seen as to separate resources.

It is hence impossible (as advised by customer support) to create a policy preventing key vaults with no diagnostics being deployed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Improve error messaging for Key Vault firewall vNet integration

If you try to add a vNet/subnet to a Key Vault's firewall, the subscription where that vNet lives must have the Key Vault resource provider registered. If the Key Vault resource provider is not registered in the vNet's subscription, the error you see leads you down a different rabbit hole. Here's an example of the error message:

Virtual Network could not be validated. code: AuthorizationFailed. message: "The client '{guid}' with object id '{same_guid}' does not have authorization to perform action 'microsoft.network/virtualnetworks/taggedTrafficConsumers/validate/action' over scope '/subscriptions/my-vNet-subscription-guid/resourcegroups/my-Resource-Group/providers/microsoft.network/virtualnetworks/my-vNet/taggedTrafficConsumers/Microsoft.KeyVault.centralus' or the scope is invalid. If access was recently granted, please refresh your credentials.".

That error…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Export AppService certificate from portal

We have you powershell to export AppService certificate as PFX file. And the file dose not have intermediate certificate. If we need the PFX file with intermediate certificate, we have to import windows OS and export as PFX file. I hope that we can export the full certificate from Azure portal.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Additional Event Types for Key Vault integration with Event Grid

How about some additional event types, specifically Microsoft.KeyVault.SecretDeleted, Microsoft.KeyVault.CertificateDeleted, and Microsoft.KeyVault.KeyDeleted ?

I'd like be able to subscribe to delete events. The *NewVersionCreated event types fire when adding a new key vault object or a new version is saved but I need to know when an object is deleted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow RunAs accounts to directly use Key Vault certificates.

You can upload a self-signed certificate file for a RunAs account. I'd like to use Key Vault to create & renew a self-signed certificate for a RunAs account.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Accessing KeyVault from HDInsight cluster

My team is starting a new project which involves running .NET app on HDI cluster. Accessing KeyVault from Windows machines require certificates, but this is not feasible from Linux VMs in HDI which doesn't have support for certificate store. Does anyone solved similar problem?
    During investigation, I came across this (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/key-vault/tutorial-net-linux-virtual-machine). Didn't tried it myself, but my colleague said it didn't work for him. If it is possible to configure service identity on HDI worker nodes, I would love to hear. Thanks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base