Azure Key Vault

We are listening! Please take a few moments to submit your ideas or up-vote already submitted ideas by others. Azure Key Vault team regularly monitors and reviews all feedback submitted on this forum. You will be one of the first to know when a requested feature will be worked on! So be sure to vote or submit your ideas! Remember this site is for feature suggestions and ideas. For technical questions please try documentation, MSDN Forum or StackOverFlow

Do you have an idea or a suggestion for Azure Key Vault based on your experience?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Per-secret/key/certificate access control

Currently it's an all or nothing model. To grant a user account or app id access to one secret, you have to grant it access to the entire vault (as far as I can tell). This eliminates the possibility of least privilege access to secrets. In this model, the only way to create security boundaries for individual secrets is to create additional key vaults, which could get out of control fast if we need one key vault per application per environment. A better model would be to have independent access controls on both the vault and the individual secrets.

For…

175 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

14 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Secret Names do not support special characters

In order for our organization to fully adopt Azure Key Vault for managing passwords and secrets we need to be able to support at a minimum allowing _ (underscrores) and other special characters in the naming convention as we have hundreds of names that contain underscores in them such as account_test, account_prd, etc..

Reading through the documentation online I can't find any technical reason as to why special characters aren't supported but this is a show stopper at this point for us until this is added/supported.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Full Backup and Restore

Currently, you can only back up each secret one at a time. I would like the ability to back all the secrets up and obviously, store them in an encrypted storage account or vault.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Portal experience for 'On-Boarding' a Storage Account Key / SAS Rotation

Portal experience for creating a Key Vault Managed Storage Account and/or for 'On-Boarding' a Storage Account into being managed by a given Key Vault Key

This is possible with PowerShell and AzureCLI (as described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/key-vault/key-vault-ovw-storage-key) but there is not portal experience for doing this.

Originally mentioned in this Github Issue:
    https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/issues/10555

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. manage permissions on an entry level

We are creating a solution where multiple services (backend servers from different departments, ...), will use key vault to retreive their access keys. It would be great to be able to give a backend service access to only the relevant entry (e.g. only to secret1 and certificate2).
    The problem is, that a user that has access (to secrets for example), automatically has access to all secrets.

In other words: Add access policies to secrets, keys and certificates

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add filtering and column sorting options to Keys, Secrets and Certificates

Background:

Is it just me, or is it really annoying that you can't write any filters or sort on columns in the Key Vault resource? We will have like 1500 keys when our projects reaches it's final stage, and the "Show more"-button is really not my best friend.

Suggestion:

Make the lists of Keys, Secrets and Certificates sortable on column name, and add a filter/search field to improve management when browsing the vault using Azure Portal.

To find a Secret in a long list it requires you to scroll down, and press "Load more" which is not convinient at all.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow secret versions to be deleted

You can create multiple versions for a given secret, however the api only allows a delete to be performed at the secret level and not for an individual version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Events when key or secrets are changed or updated in key vault

It’s important to know if keys / Secrets are updated in key vault so that necessary actions with consuming application can be taken when this occurs...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Managing application secrets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Provide the ability to create multiple lines' secret(SSH private key) in azure portal

When I generate a manual type secret, it's impossible to save the multiple lines' secret(SSH private key) value, in fact, I think the input box should take text area as an option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add support for PGP keys

Many of our vendors require us to send them files via SFTP using their public encryption keys most of which are PGP keys. As we start to migrate our Managed File Transfer service to Azure we'd like to leverage storing these keys in Azure Key Vault

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Manually add (or re-add) App Service Key to Key Vault?

Is there a way that I can re-add my App Service Certificate to my Key Vault?
    The reason I'm asking is that I accidentally deleted the certificate from the Key Vault. The App Service Certificate resource is still there, but the certificate no longer shows up in my Key Vault (obviously).

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53202773/azure-manually-add-app-service-certificate-to-key-vault

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Rotate secrets when they are uploaded in bulk to vault

As a compliance activity we remove secrets (app secrets, connection strings, etc) from code and upload them to Azure Key Vault. That provides an opportunity to roll them and have fresh secrets at the moment they are put into the vault.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Key vault document is really messy

The current key vault document is really messy, it's really hard to know the whole e2e workflow to setup a keyvault for a web app.
    For example, where to get the client id and client password, how to connect the key vault with application, why there are so many old portal screenshots, why so many powershell scripts if we can just click some button via portal

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add deployment slots

Configuration secrets such as connection strings will change from one deployment slot to another. Adding the deployment slot concept to Key Vault would eliminate the need to hack that concept into the secret names and the code used to retrieve the secrets.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base