Azure Database Migration Service

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Azure Database Migration Service? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea or vote up an idea submitted by another Azure Database Migration Service customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Azure Database Migration Service engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will also be one of the first to know when we begin work on your feature requests and when we release the feature.

1. Add support of Ad-hoc queries and ".trc" files to DMA analysis

We would like to have DMA be able to analyze adhoc queries from application and SQL Profiler Traces (".TRC") files.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow for retrying failed migrations

The service must allow for retrial (both automated and manual) of failed migrations.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Support Migration from Azure SQL to Azure SQL Managed Instance

Looking to migrate Azure SQL databases (.bacpac) to Azure SQL Managed Instance. Currently, I'm forced to export to .bacpac, import locally on VM, then export to managed instance. There has got to be a better way to essentially move databases from Azure SQL to Azure SQL Managed Instance.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make the error message actionable "was suspended due to 8 successive recovery failures"

I was able to get PostgreSQL activity to initialize after migrating the schema over from the source database. I have 1 table t1 with two columns c1 (pkey int), c2 (text) and 6 rows of data.
    After 23minutes I got the error "was suspended due to 8 successive recovery failures" and have no idea how to fix this.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Update Portal to cope with many databases

The client-side script can currently not cope with many databases (500+) and the browser gets unresponsive due to script processing.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix Sync data validator to work with case sensitive collations

Offline migrations seem to validate but online migrations on the business critical tier fail the data validation on databases with case sensitive collations like Latin1_General_CS_AS with the following error:

{ "resourceId":"/subscriptions/{subid}/resourceGroups/{my-rg}/providers/Microsoft.DataMigration/services/test-mydms", "errorType":"Error retrieving table information", "errorDetail":"Validator 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Migration.Core.Validators.SqlServerPKCDCSyncValidator' failed to validate data.Invalid object name 'information_schema.columns'." }

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remove Truncate Table from DMS Online Migration

Please remove Truncate Table commands from the online migration process for tables in the target DB that are already empty.

Online Migration is trying to truncate tables that have foreign keys - even though the tables are empty in the destination.

This is breaking our online migration. We have about 2500 foreign keys in our schema.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Support for Blob as source

Add support for using Azure Storage as the backup source location.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow for out of process File Upload

Especially for large databases, but allow us to upload the files directly. It would be great if I could push files directly into the DMS intake queue rather than being forced to have it pick up the files and copy them slowly. For example, AZCopy did in 3 hours what DMS never finished in 10. May be related to environmental refreshes idea.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Increase the limitation of DMA activities

why is there a limitation of 4 databases per activity and why does the activities get queued after you have 2 concurrent activities running at same time?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to store definitions and re-run regular migrations - like environment refreshes

Ability to store definitions and re-run regular migrations - like environment refreshes (e.g. for mongo CosmosDB), rather than having to define a new project and new task every time you want to copy data say from production to testing environments.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Improve message "The target database <name> is empty."

For postgreSQL 9.5 Migration I'm getting The target database <database name> is empty when it initializes the DMS activity.

I'm migrating to the target. It should be empty! What is it looking for that isn't there - the error message doesn't tell me how to fix this.

Would love some help on this error and what DMS is expecting in the target.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Resume and retry backup upload

Actually if database initial backup is being uploaded and a network glitch occurs the transfer fails as so the migration activity. As activities can't be retried either it is necessary to start all over again.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. DMS Max number of table threshold

Define DMS maximums and scripting migration activities

Tried to migrate a database the last few days a 3GB database with 4400 tables with DMS from an IaaS MSSQL server to Azure SQL, and it fails, the portal becomes unresponsive...

with error:
    The pipeline failed to prepare table.... One or more errors occurred.The pipeline failed to prepare table ..... for bulk import.Cannot report data from 'SetResult' call , as the call threw an exception for scenario ...... The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.

most tables failed after that..

however, when…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Failed to connect

At Migration wizard, at target selection (Azure MySQL) failed to connect with error:
    Collector 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Migration.Core.MySql.Collectors.AzureDbMySqlServerPropertiesCollector' failed to collect data.
    ERROR [08S01] [MySQL][ODBC 5.3(w) Driver]Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading final connect information', system error: 0

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. [71501] Unresolved references found - Need to stop reporting this error when system objects are referenced by user object

We have a client with over 5000 databases and the number 1 reported blocker is [71501] Unresolved references found with over 100K instances! However, the vast majority of these issues are not a problem at all. It looks like DMA doesn't know how to resolve references to system tables and views.

Here is an example:

View: [PR_Utility].[ObjectCatalog] has an unresolved reference to object [sys].[triggers]. For more details, please see: Line 69, Column 9.
    View: [PR_Utility].[ObjectCatalog] has an unresolved reference to object [sys].[indexes]. For more details, please see: Line 53, Column 9.
    View: [PR_Utility].[ObjectCatalog] contains an unresolved reference to an object.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Migration of On-Premise SQL database fails because of encrypted Stored Procedures, Functions, etc.

Hi,

I'm in the process of migrating an in-house SQL database into Azure SQL and the process fails because of encrypted Stored Procedures, Functions, etc. The database is running on SQL Server 2016.

I've already tried "Export Data-tier Application", "Deploy SQL Database to Microsoft Azure SQL Database..." and "Data Migration Assistant" but no luck.

Please advise.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cannot DMS trigger its own backups as needed for online migration?

To avoid shared database folder setup issues (step #4 in the migration activity wizard) let the Azure DMS:
    a) create its own database backup folder (in its own VM I assume) for online database migrations, and
    b) save the required backups from the source SQL Server in this folder

Reason: Currently I found the DMS migration settings in step #4 of the activity wizard confusing and problematic to have correctly configured. With each problem we resolved another one showed up. For example, now we noticed that our source SQL server does not have checksum enabled for existing backups; but the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Document SQL>SQLMI App credential rights

When migrating SQL to SQL MI online it would be nice to know exactly the minimum rights or custom role configuration and where it needs to be applied in order to effectively migrate. For example you need 'Microsoft.Storage/storageAccounts/listKeys/action' on the storage account, you need Microsoft.Sql/locations/managedDatabaseRestoreAzureAsyncOperation/read on SQL MI etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow for port of data when moving from smaller data type to larger data type

This is a capability that used to be present but appears to have been removed. I did this several months ago successfully but now the functionality has been removed. I've got a field that is an 'int' in my current database. In the Azure SQL DB that we want to port to, when the schema was being defined, I change the 'int' to 'bigint'. I want the information to port to the new data type so we can use the larger data type down the road. Why was this functionality removed? What will it take to get it working again?…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Database Migration Service

Feedback and Knowledge Base