How can we improve Azure Data Catalog?

Relationship & Lineage

1. See where data comes from
2. Find related data assets
3. Find dependencies (upstream/downstream)
4. Auto-recognize relationships/lineage
5. Add/manage/annotate relationships

214 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

PowerDAX shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as I know, Microsoft is not supporting or further developing the Data Catalog. There has been no change to the product for many years.

• vpc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is this planned for? Any ballpark timelines like which year/quarter?

• Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this! An ERD of related assets would be a game changer for the data modelers of the world. I second Shannon Lowder's comment, if some how it understood stored procs and SISS my mind would be blown.

• IREFACT when data matters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this replace or merge or syncs with lineage provided within ADF V2 ? I would certainly expect the Azure Data Catalog to be the master of Business Glossary, Data Definition and Data Lineage as a central repository independent of individual (cloud) service that generates or uses data definitions and lineage. Is that a correct assumption ? It would certainly increase value of Azure Data Catalog.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're currently in the market for a Data Catalog, but when I see people requesting functionality and not getting replies on their queries...that makes me concerned and has me looking elsewhere.
    This will be moving well down my suggested solution.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also consider exporting the data lineage into excel as feature. I guess it will be helpful to see the lineage without having to go to Data Factory, especially for the business users.

• Shannon Lowder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When this is implemented, it would be important to expose interaction through the API too, so we can programmatically fill in this data based on our stored procedure, SSIS, or data factory data flows.

Feedback and Knowledge Base