How can we improve Azure Data Catalog?

Power BI Integration

Allow tight integration between Power BI and ADC.

1. Publish Power BI models to ADC.
2. Grab data models or data from ADC from Desktop/Service.
3, View metadata from ADC from w/in Power BI Desktop/Service.

will add more in a moment.

239 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

PowerDAX shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be nice, I am thinking users can publish their models to Power BI Service and document their derived columns and DAX measures nicely. If you build this with the relational view (ERD) of the Power BI model it exposes it to end users of the report. It would save the day for my organizations ability to document and support modeling. I think there will be some mental gymnastics to do explaining the at power BI data comes from other sources (say on a SQL server) and that they are related. I would hope the data catalog can create the linkage since it should know the Power BI modeled data comes from another registered asset. This could be amazing! I would love to see it happen. Thank you Microsoft!!

• Stan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that this idea is about to celebrate its 4th birthday, an official response is long overdue. What are the reasons for delay? Does MS have required priorities that must be met before the AZURE Data Catalog and PowerBI Desktop are allowed to talk with one another? Was painting the filter blade white truly more important? There are more than 500 very confused customers that would appreciate an explanation. Love what you're doing. Just eager to understand. Please. Thank you.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this should be considered absolutely top priority for microsoft. Governance / visibility across the estate is a big concern and it's a very tricky sell when the main catalog tool doesn't play well with the visualisation tool. This is particularly true in large organisations like mine that have incumbent SAP implementations. If you want to prize people away from SAP, these sorts of things must work better together. Don't force us to go to Analysis Services from day 1 - get it working with PowerBI and you'll land small pilot users not only of PowerBI, but also of Data Catalog. Then you're golden!

• Anny Sonna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, in addition to everything that has been requested... The user case I need is for the user to have the ability to publish reports and dashboards into ADC and also be able to search and locate those reports when needed. Then open them using origin tool they were created in; For example, if it was a Power BI dashboard, open with Power BI; OR if excel, open with excel.

Thank you!

• PowerDAX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is severely missing from Power BI. Power Pivot and SSAS Tabular have metadata entry but it is on a model by model basis. This would allow metadata at a data source level and would force metadata to be synonymous across models.

This would be a huge win for Power BI (especially if they are serious about enterprise deployments but also for ISV(s) to show metadata to their end users, small businesses to understand sources/calculations, etc.) and a even bigger win for ADC as they would pick up millions of customers from the Power BI community.

• JochenJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me usecase with most priority would be to have integration in Power BI Desktop with new menü entry --> Get Data>From ADC --> If user selects this he can browse ADC and choose one of the published connectionstrings

Feedback and Knowledge Base