Update Management

Please take a few minutes to submit your idea or vote up an existing idea. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Update Management engineering team.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Adjustable / customisable logging frequency

I know the data being pumped to Log Analytics is already reasonably small compared to some of the other things that can be pushed there, but is there any possibility to adjust how frequently hosts post data to that endpoint?

For example, I'd like to reduce the check-in frequency by at least 4x, thereby decreasing log volume and more efficient use of my log analytics storage.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Linux Updates - Not restarted on kernel upgrade

We're trialling the update management for our Linux hosts within Azure and despite the packages being upgraded successfully, I've noticed the host hasn't rebooted even after a kernel upgrade.

Can this please be raised with the appropriate team for investigation?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Support SharePoint updates or don't attempt to apply them

The service currently detects missing SharePoint updates and will attempt to apply them, however, this reliably fails with error code 0x80240020. This appears to be a known issue in general when installing SharePoint updates remotely, with the best practice being to install SharePoint updates manually due to the requirement to run PSConfig after installation. Further, when the updates fail, the service attempts to install the failed updates again around 40 times. These all fail, and result in a "bloated" Windows Update history of install failures.

SharePoint updates should either be supported by this service or explicitly blacklisted so that updates…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. add the possibility to approve updates

Now, the only thing you can do is allow only ALL updates from one or more categories. We like to have more control over which updates will be installed. Basically the same as you can do in WSUS by approving or declining specific updates.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Promote updates across subscriptions

As an engineer
    I want to be able to promote updates across environments in different subscriptions
    So that I have confidence that an update does not impact my application

We have VMs in different environment subscriptions (dev/test/prod) across difference log analytics workspaces. We would like an update to be automatically applied to the dev subscription before being applied to the test and then the prod subscription. This will allow us to have confidence that the update does not impact the VMs and the applications deployed to them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. List Machines with their FQDN instead of the Computername without Domain suffix

At the Moment Computers are listed without their Domain Suffix. If you have multiple Domains/Subdomains you have no chance to know which Machine belongs to which Domain if you have naming guides, like

contoso-dc01.michigan.contoso.com
    contoso-dc01.newyork.contoso.com

because you will see two machines with "contoso-dc01".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ability to deploy Preview updates

There should be an option to install Preview updates, such as KB4338831 (July 18, 2018 Preview of Monthly Rollup) which fixes critical issues in KB4338815 (the regular July 2018 Monthly Rollup).

Right now (end of July 2018), after we update our machines using Update Management, we still need to install KB4338831 manually on each machine to keep important network services from locking up.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Mute OMS Alerts during scheduled update

Allow muting of alerts during a scheduled update

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add "Installed" UpdateState for Linux VMs.

We have a Power BI report for "Updates Installed this month" for our environment, based on UpdateState column in LogAnalytics, but it works only with Windows VMs as there is no "Installed" state for LinuxVMs, only "Needed" and "NotNeeded".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. "Schedule Update Deployment" button is initially missing

I'll admit, I tried out this feature 3x without reading the online docs. It's fairly straightforward but during VM configuration, I kept looking for the "Schedule Update Deployment" button. If you were to add those buttons right away in a grayed out state with the 'i' hover button saying "Please wait - VM configuration in progress", then it would have been very intuitive to use without any doc assistance.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ability to defer Azure VM from update management deployment schedule

Ability to defer one or more Azure VMs from update management deployment schedule

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Schedule immediate compliance refresh function

I'd like to be able to schedule a refresh of compliance data (outstanding patches) whenever the next heartbeat occurs. Unless I'm missing something, the data can be somewhat stale and offers no easy way of getting it updated in a more timely fashion.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Assessments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Issue with update management

1. create a vm with linux123

2. ENable update management and run the update management (once)

3. delete the vm/resource group

4. create the resource group/vm with exact same name & parameters (linux123)

5. ENable update management

At this point , the vm always stays in 'Not assesed' state and reports as complaint at the vm level.

support confirmed the oms files got corrupted and they had to clean it up and reinstall oms agent again

The behaviour is consistent with atleast two vms.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. we don't have to pay also for updates

Please continue to pay more attention's on every suggested words until the issues were resolved. Just to talk to the concerned networks in the world to come down on their rate changes. Thanks. mustychi amaechi

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Offset schedule by x number of days

Need ability to schedule recurring jobs with an offset of a number of days. This allows us to schedule update deployments based on the Patch Tuesday schedule to our test and production servers on separate weekends without ever changing the schedules. This is standard functionality in Solarwinds.

Example: Monthly at 8:00 PM on second Tuesday with additional offset of 11 days

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Not Able to get the status of "Update management readiness " from Log analytics quires. mach

Not Able to get the status of "Update management readiness " from Log analytics quires. Is their any way to get the list of machines from Log analytics quires

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Microsoft driver update for MS Publisher Color Printer

Please remove "Microsoft driver update for MS Publisher Color Printer" from the list of missing updates for Windows Server 2016 VMs. This was already an issue over a year ago in the old update management solution in OMS and is still not fixed.
    I even opened a case REG:117050315683024 back then because that driver didn't even fit into the logic of the update script. The bug was fixed but the uninstallable update still remains to this day

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. UI Confirmation For Initial Scan

Provide feedback for when the 'baseline state' is captured so that we know when we can start monitoring for changes to the system.

I plan on using this tool to diagnose why installing software on a Linux VM renders it useless upon next boot. Therefore I want to know when the baseline has been established before I start the installation process.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Per User pricing

OMS is a great solution for monitoring devices, etc. It would be great if there was a pricing model based on user count. This would allow the collection of logs/update data/changes/etc from Desktops, Laptops, phones, or other devices associated with that user. Paying per node for a user with 3 devices when combined with Microsoft 365 licensing is just too pricey. Ideally, it would be great to see Microsoft 365 pricing include the Log Analytics, Update Management, and Anti-Malware solutions from OMS for all of the users devices.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Update Management

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base