Update Management

Please take a few minutes to submit your idea or vote up an existing idea. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Update Management engineering team.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix OMS Update Management to allow patch deployment to Server Core

Per documentation at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/operations-management-suite/oms-solution-update-management

"Server Core and Nano Server installation options are not supported."

Please fix this so that Server Core is supposed for patch deployments. (At least 2016 Server Core, with Server 2012R2 being appreciated!)

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Automatically start and stop virtual machines in conjunction with the Update Deployment Maintenance Window

Many of our customers use automation to stop VM's overnight and start them again the following morning. Obviously, Update Management cannot work against VM's which are stopped meaning we must manually suspend the start/stop automation when an Update Management deployment is scheduled.

Having the ability for Update Management to automatically start VM's at the beginning of the maintenance window and stop them again at the end would be brilliant.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to deploy optional updates

We would like the ability to push optional updates just like you can with WSUS.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Update Pipeline

It would be really helpful if you could describe a pipleine in Update Management, and get the updates to flow through that pipeline.

e.g. You have a Dev, Test and Production Environment.
    You want to keep machines up to date, but do not want to affect Production users with faulty pathes.

If you could describe an update pipleine, saying, deploy any updates to Dev, then to test then to prod, this would ensure updates can be developed and tested against before they reach production.

When patch tuesday arrives, these patches would be available for your 1st environment in the pipleine,…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

5. Add a Set-AzAutomationSoftwareUpdateConfiguration cmdlet to modify an existing Update Management configuration

'New-' and 'Remove-' cmdlets already exist, however, currently there isn't a cmdlet to 'Set-' to modify existing configurations.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

6. Support for "Optional" Update Deployment

Azure Update Management does not currently consider updates that are flagged as "Optional" by Microsoft. When pointing clients to Windows Update or Microsoft Update, SQL Server Service Packs come in as "Optional". As such, when using Azure Update Management + Microsoft Update (NOT WSUS) the SQL Server Service Packs are not deployed. They need to be installed via another means (SCCM, manually etc.)

Please add support for Optional Updates in Azure Update Management so we can deploy SQL SP's this way.

This only applies to full SQL SP's and not SP Updates which are not flagged as optional in Microsoft…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Error when trying to Schedule update deployment

When scheduling an update to run, the next run time keeps saying error.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add fully patched computers to Update Management Tile

The update management tile on the home page does not include my computers that have all the updates. It only has Computers missing Critical, Computers missing Security, and Computers missing other. I liked also seeing a blue chunk for the fully patched machines. This is using the Edge Browser on 14393.202

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Provide opsinsight as PaaS solution for customer to configure inside their own subscriptions

Right now, opsinsight exists and store data for various customers and perhaps map account to the storage in cloud. How about providing it as a seprate service in azure stack and let the user configure it inside their own azure subscription and use their onprem SCOM or MMA to send data to this blob residing in their subscription. I tried my best to explain the idea, if it needs more ground and better clarity, let me know.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Email compliance reports

Have the option to automatically schedule compliance reports to be sent via email from Update Management. This would be good to be able to do on both a generic high-level account view, encompassing all VM's, as well as on completion of a Deployment Schedule. This would be similar to how you can schedule email compliance reports with both ConfigMgr and WSUS. Our customers love using Azure Update Management, however, the lack of email reporting is an issue for many of them.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

11. Add "Drivers" as an update classification.

Drivers are automatically being pushed when "Select All" is selected for update classification. We need the option to exclude the "Drivers" classification from updates. I opened a ticket on this with Microsoft and was told to post it here.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Support Update Management for Windows client

Azure Automation and OMS currently do not support deploying\collecting updates to Windows client.
    We can deploy OMS agents on the Windows client and they are reporting compliance status in the Update Management blade of the Automation Account and to OMS. Please officially support Windows client https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/automation-update-management#clients

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Wrong values in System Update Assessment solution dashboard

System Update Assessment solution dashboard is displaying wrong values.
    If i try to make a query directly in search it returns the right values

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The circled field is number of computers missing any critical updates, e.g. there are six computers which haven’t been patched.
    The underlined fields are the numbers of patches missing on those computers. So computer one is missing a total of 47 critical patches, computer two is missing a total of 9 critical patches, etc.

Leaving this as “needs feedback” until we can confirm it’s by design.

14. System Update Assessment and SCCM upto date

I understand that OMS SUA will display a computer being upto date if managed via SCCM and all approved updates in SCCM are installed. This is great for compliance to approved update. What also is needed is to know what updates that are not approved via SCCM, yet are available to be installed for this server. This is how it used to report when using the old system update advisor management pack that you imported into SCOM

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Support for Raspbian

I would like to see support for Raspbian, which would allow me to manage updates on Raspberry Pi devices.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Why is there still no Auto Start-up operation?

Why is there still no Auto Start-up operation?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Sort Order and Filter

Need the ability to sort the list of computers alphabetically when adding to a scheduled deployment. The current list is random and makes it really hard to select specific machines. Also, having a filter options would be nice when the list is very long.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. System Update Assessment looks for Manual windows update setting

The query in the Common Update Queries section labelled "Critical or security updates needed by machines where updates are manually applied" queries machines where Type=UpdateSummary and WindowsUpdateSetting=Manual. The problem is, I dont see any windows machines where WindowsUpdateSetting is Manual. I see Scheduled installation, Notify before installation, Notify before download and Disabled. Where can you configure a windows server to Manual?

And just wondering if this could be modifed as I'd consider the servers set to Notify are "manual"

Maybe this?
    Type=Update OSType!=Linux UpdateState=Needed Optional=false (Classification="Security Updates" OR Classification="Critical Updates") Computer IN {Type=UpdateSummary WindowsUpdateSetting=Notify | Distinct Computer}

Thanks

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Systems that get an error when scanning via WSUS should be reported as 'not assessed' instead of 'compliant' if scan fails for x days

When the app pool for a WSUS server is stopped or not running, and a client computer scans against it, it fails with an error. This error does not get surfaced in the AUM dashboard. Systems experiencing this error are listed as 'compliant', they should be listed as 'not assessed'.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Assessments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Ability to run scripts throughout patching

We can run pre/post scripts, but that is not useful when patching a web farm, cluster, or complex application that needs careful handling. It would be great to have the ability to run scripts throughout patching; pre patching a node, pre/post reboot, post patching a node... this way I can start/restart services, validate functionality after patching a node, or even manage cluster nodes myself throughout a patch cycle.

With pre/post scripts I cannot suspend/resume cluster nodes as I patch through them in a group, nor can I ensure my services are stopped/started as required by my app owners. There is…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Update Management

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base