Update Management

Please take a few minutes to submit your idea or vote up an existing idea. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Update Management engineering team.

Tell us your idea, suggestion, or issue with Update Management!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Update now

I want to have option - button - to update now server (once), now (no scheduling)

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add advanced scheduling to support patch Tuesday

We typically apply patches the weekend after Patch Tuesday but it's not always the second weekend of the month so we can't schedule it with the options available.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Update Management Solution: Installation of updates without providing time zones

It seems to me that it will be very helpful to add the possibility to configure the installation of updates by local time on the client. ie: We have servers (on premise) that are in many time zones and I want them to be in one group and that all installs updates at the same time. This requires creating multiple groups and setting different time zones. It would be ideal to set the time, eg 3.00 am - without time zone configuration - the zone would be read from the client.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. View suppressed updates in portal log

As an engineer
    I want to see which updates were not installed because they were ignored by an exclusion rule in the portal output
    So that I know why an update has not been applied

When a list of exclusions is in place and an update has been released that will be excluded, the yum update process output does not display the updates that will not be installed. Instead it displays output like the following:

Getting available updates...

Discovering 'security' packages...
    Discovered 5 'security' package entries.

List of packages to be updated:
    []

I would expect that it would list…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Update Management: enable creating schedules for offline VMs

We have machines that are periodically offline, but still should be patched. Currently, Update Management does not allow us to target VMs that have been offline for more than 12h. This blocks at least 10% of our population from being scheduled.

From an operations perspective, this does not make a lot of sense. Why not enable targeting all VMs that are registered as a HWG? You could do the 12h check with an optional override like "yes I know it has not reported for 12h or more, but I want to schedule it anyway". Of course, we would need this…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re currently re-evaluating a number of our timeouts. We’ll likely bump this up to 96 hours; this is enough time to account for long weekends while at the same time not keeping old potentially de-allocated machines visible in the experience.

6. Fix "week days" scheduling so that it sticks

When I choose "week days" as my scheduling option, it only works for the first run of the schedule. The next scheduled date takes on the same day of the month as the first run, and when I go to edit the schedule, it has reverted to "Month days". This means I must continually check on my schedules and adjust them after each run. Please fix. Thanks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  1 comment  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. computer group

Increase the computer group limitations for Update Management. Patching a few hundred to a few thousand machines with this 100 machine limit is not very scalable.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We support groups up to 500 computers large in the Azure Portal, but we hear that isn’t enough and we can look at increasing this up to “a few thousand”. Please feel free to post your desired maximum group size in this item so we have a good sense of what the requirements are.

8. disable schedule updates

There needs to be an option to temporarily disable a scheduled deployment and/or the ability to disable a computer from participating in the next scheduled update.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Options to ignore de-allocated machines while using "Dynamic Groups" feature

We selected a few "Resource Groups" to update the VM's during the schedule using dynamic groups but if any of the VM is in a de-allocated state that will be obviously failed while deployment, I feel if we have an option to "Ignore De-Allocated" machines it would be great.

This helps to see less failed deployments since we know our VM's are de-allocated. (If any)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Promote updates across subscriptions

As an engineer
    I want to be able to promote updates across environments in different subscriptions
    So that I have confidence that an update does not impact my application

We have VMs in different environment subscriptions (dev/test/prod) across difference log analytics workspaces. We would like an update to be automatically applied to the dev subscription before being applied to the test and then the prod subscription. This will allow us to have confidence that the update does not impact the VMs and the applications deployed to them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to defer Azure VM from update management deployment schedule

Ability to defer one or more Azure VMs from update management deployment schedule

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Offset schedule by x number of days

Need ability to schedule recurring jobs with an offset of a number of days. This allows us to schedule update deployments based on the Patch Tuesday schedule to our test and production servers on separate weekends without ever changing the schedules. This is standard functionality in Solarwinds.

Example: Monthly at 8:00 PM on second Tuesday with additional offset of 11 days

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. It is nice to have option to export list of servers which are scheduled for update management

After scheduling update management, there is no way we can export list of servers that are part of the update management. While we create groups ahead of scheduling patching but at the time of creating the schedule, there is no way to compare that with the groups created.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Options to "Pause/Hold" Update Management Schedules.

We need an option to temporarily Hold\Pause the update management schedules.

This will help us during promotional events or any emergency times to stop installing the updates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Optimizer to automatically generate deployments

Provide a simple means to provide:
    1. Maintenance Window
    2. Dependency rules / chains (i.e. 48 hours after system in dynamic group named test, then perform deploy to group named production)
    3. Rolling updates for clustered applications
    4. Validation post-patching (could be as simple as the update agent has reported post-reboot initially) and then halt deployment of related-nodes (if it is defined as part of a cluster)

Then allow for update manager to create deployments automatically by feeding this information into an optimizer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

16. deployment schedules

Please provide the start time in the deployment schedules view. I am seeing my old deployments. My requirement is just to restart some of them. When I am editing them I do not see the new start times and it is really confusing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

• Don't see your idea?

Update Management

Feedback and Knowledge Base