Tell us your idea, suggestion, or issue with Update Management!

Ability to reinstall

Installed and configured with a workspace which is now gone, the extension is orphaned with no option to reinstall or redeploy. Error shows:

The solution cannot be enabled on this VM because the VM already has the management agent but the workspace associated with the agent cannot be found within the subscription: {guid}

Ability to reinstall or reconfigure to another workspace would help

17 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Hutchcroft shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • MARC GIARD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a la suite d'une mise à jour de mon P.C. Windows 10 est revenu à Windows 8 plus utilisé depuis des
    années ...... J'aimerais bénéficier de nouveau du système Windows 10 mais je n'arrive pas à le
    réinstaller. Il semblerais que doive faire les frais de l'achat du système alors que je l'utilise depuis des
    années.
    retraité, handicapé, 91 ans, je ne suis en mesure d'assure financièrement cette dépense....?????
    Que faire ???? Merci de m'indiquer comment retrouver le système windows que j'utilisais
    sans problême depuis 4 ou 5 ans. Merci de vos conseils. corcialement. Marc GIARD

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ran into this when trying to switch Automation Accounts for a VM. Deleted a workspace so I could delete the old Automation Account, but had not removed it from VM (if that's even possible.)

I was able to fix this by:

1) Go to 'Log Analytics' in the portal.
    2) Go to any other workspace in the same sub. (I went to the new one I was trying to switch to)
    3) Find the VM, OMS Connection should say 'Other Workspace', or something like that.
    4) Click that VM, and there should be a 'Disconnect' option at the top of the other blade.
    5) Go back to the VM on the 'Virtual Machines' page. You should now be able to set up Update Management.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think I have figured a way around this. I am not an Azure expert by any means but quickly becoming good at cleaning up when things change overnight. I think I've found a way to repair the situation, let me know if I'm off on anything. The following steps took a VM out of its stuck on stupid state and reconnected it with the chosen workspace:

1. Download the Microsoft Monitoring Agent from the new Workspace to the problem VM desktop
    2. Run the installer and remove the agent. REBOOT
    3. Remove the MMA Extension-
    Remove-AzureRmVMExtension -ResourceGroupName "YourRG" -Name "MMAExtension" -VMName "YOUR-VMName"
    4. Reset the MMA Extension-
    $PublicSettings = @{"workspaceId" = "myWorkspaceId"}
    $ProtectedSettings = @{"workspaceKey" = "myWorkspaceKey"}

Set-AzureRmVMExtension -ExtensionName "MMAExtension" `
    -ResourceGroupName "myResourceGroup" `
    -VMName "myVM" `
    -Publisher "Microsoft.EnterpriseCloud.Monitoring" `
    -ExtensionType "MicrosoftMonitoringAgent" `
    -TypeHandlerVersion 1.0 `
    -Settings $PublicSettings `
    -ProtectedSettings $ProtectedSettings `
    -Location WestUS `