Update Management

Please take a few minutes to submit your idea or vote up an existing idea. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Update Management engineering team.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. arm or PS automation for onboarding VM's in update management

like to have arm or powershell automation solution to onboard VM's in update management

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I have an issue where after enabling update management for a couple of VMs, the vms do not appear under Automation Account Update Management

I have an issue where after enabling update management for a couple of VMs, the vms do not appear under Automation Account Update Management.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Display Assigned Schedule

It would be nice to have one of the columns in the 'Machines' view display what schedule the machine is assigned to.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Show all VMs, even if they are powered off

Need to be able to see VMs that aren't running everyday. It should still show the status from the last time it reported. This is common when you have lab or other non-prod machines that are running every day.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Possibility to see VMs being under Update Management via policy

Possibility to distinguish VMs which are under Update Management and incorporate the results into ARM script to work as a policy.

Policy would help to track which VMs are left over of Update Management service.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Assessments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. When viewing the update history on an Azure VM, it would be nice to see the last 6 months of updates. Like it used to do.

You used to do this. Then near the end of 2019 you stopped. You already have this metric measuring "Failed updates over the last 6 months", right? And it used to actually do something, right?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Scheduling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add support/feature to invoke a Cluster Aware Update (CAU) run via Update Management

A feature to invoke a CAU run or patch clustered servers not setup for CAU.

Today we use Azure Runbooks to invoke CAUs or we stagger the update management schedule times for each cluster node. It's an ad-hoc workaround and it would be nice if this was something supported out-of-box with Update Management.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add the ability to global exclude patches

Currently, the only way to exclude a patch is to exclude it on each patching schedule. Please add a way to globally exclude patches to reduce the need to change every schedule.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Systems that get an error when scanning via WSUS should be reported as 'not assessed' instead of 'compliant' if scan fails for x days

When the app pool for a WSUS server is stopped or not running, and a client computer scans against it, it fails with an error. This error does not get surfaced in the AUM dashboard. Systems experiencing this error are listed as 'compliant', they should be listed as 'not assessed'.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Assessments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add ability to create a new schedule and configuration (New-AzAutomationSoftwareUpdateConfiguration) using an existing computer group query.

I already have pre-existing computer groups (Azure and Non-Azure Machines) created and can manually create update scheduled in the portal to use group queries. However, I cannot do the same via the powershell New-AzAutomationSoftwareUpdateConfiguration cmdlet.

Add ability to create a new schedule and configuration (New-AzAutomationSoftwareUpdateConfiguration) using an existing computer group query.

Also, feel free to reach out to me directly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Include Option for Upgrades

I see that Updates with a Classification of Upgrade are not included in the Deployment. Please include this classification in the drop-down so that these upgrades can be included in the update deployment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. How do I know when a server needs to be rebooted after an update

I'm updating numerous servers during a maintenance window. We've not yet been able to automate the reboot process so that our application doesn't get affected. Therefore, we need to manually perform a server reboot. I've chosen the option to never reboot a server after an update. How do I know when a server needs to be rebooted after an update, so that we schedule time to manually reboot the server?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Tool is not mature and bunch of bugs. Back end need to work more to stable the tool. We need notification in prior if tool under maintenance

Tool is not mature and bunch of bugs. Back end need to work more to stable the tool. We need notification in prior if tool under maintenance

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ability to run scripts throughout patching

We can run pre/post scripts, but that is not useful when patching a web farm, cluster, or complex application that needs careful handling. It would be great to have the ability to run scripts throughout patching; pre patching a node, pre/post reboot, post patching a node... this way I can start/restart services, validate functionality after patching a node, or even manage cluster nodes myself throughout a patch cycle.

With pre/post scripts I cannot suspend/resume cluster nodes as I patch through them in a group, nor can I ensure my services are stopped/started as required by my app owners. There is…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

15. Update Pipeline

It would be really helpful if you could describe a pipleine in Update Management, and get the updates to flow through that pipeline.

e.g. You have a Dev, Test and Production Environment.
    You want to keep machines up to date, but do not want to affect Production users with faulty pathes.

If you could describe an update pipleine, saying, deploy any updates to Dev, then to test then to prod, this would ensure updates can be developed and tested against before they reach production.

When patch tuesday arrives, these patches would be available for your 1st environment in the pipleine,…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

16. Add a compliance policy for update management allowing to define acceptable delay

As soon as patches are available, VMs are automatically displayed as non-compliant. However, it often requires review, tests, ...

It could be great to be able to create a policy that allows to define for each kind of update what delay before applying the upgrade is acceptable or not and associate this with "shortcuts" to help to plan upgrades according to policy.

Example - A policy states that important security updates needs to be deployed during the next 12h
    * VMS are displayed as compliant during 12h (but something indicates that they require updates)
    * A button allows to plan…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Assessments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Enable Update approval

It would be great to have a option to approve / decline updates directly in the Update Management UI

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SCCM vs Update Management

Would like to understand feature difference between SCCM and update management.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Email compliance reports

Have the option to automatically schedule compliance reports to be sent via email from Update Management. This would be good to be able to do on both a generic high-level account view, encompassing all VM's, as well as on completion of a Deployment Schedule. This would be similar to how you can schedule email compliance reports with both ConfigMgr and WSUS. Our customers love using Azure Update Management, however, the lack of email reporting is an issue for many of them.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

20. Use Availability Set Update Domain for auto grouping

If deploying updates to VMs that are part of an Availability Set, it would be great to be able to create one schedule for all VMs in the set, then have Update Management use the AV set Update Domain to apply updates to VMs in groups based on the Update Domain.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

• Don't see your idea?

Update Management

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base