How can we improve the Azure Container Registry?

Ability to assign image labels/tags after the image is built

Looking for for a API to do this versus a GUI.
Need the ability to assign a additional image label/tag to it after the image is built and already in the ACR.

For example, when our team finishes and certifies something like PI3, would like to label all the image versions that were tested as label/tag PI3.

8 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Darwin Boyle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Jens Haeusser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Struggling with the same issue, and I was able to use az acr import successfully, even within the same subscription. The following CLI command added the latest tag to an existing container:

az acr import -n registryname --source registryname.azurecr.io/container:1 --image container:latest

Not as elegant as an az acr tag command, but seems to be a workaround.

• Jim McCracken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

re: Sajay Antony, my team has tried to use the import API and last I checked, did not support single container repository operations.

Ideally, we'd be able to do something like "az acr tag {current ACR image:tag} {new tag}

• Darwin Boyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you look at the az acr import command, it shows 2 variants. The variant that allows you to tag a destination image is only in another subscription. Otherwise, in the same subscription there is not way to set a new destination tag, the source tag is just copied.

So no, this doesn't help

Feedback and Knowledge Base