Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Container Registry

Have feedback for the Azure Container Registry? Submit your idea or vote up an idea submitted by others. All of the feedback you share here will be monitored and reviewed by the Azure Container Registry team. Remember that this site is only for feature suggestions and ideas. If you have technical questions or issues, please submit them to our GitHub issues page or on StackOverflow

1. ACR - proxy cache for external docker registries

We would like to use ACR for hosting images created on public cloud, but also as a single endpoint registry for pulling images that are hosted on-prem or from external registries like dockerhub, gcr. Other OSS registry products like Nexus OSS provide this feature to act like a proxy or ‘pull-through cache’ for Docker Registries and helm repositories. This proxy should also support token based authentication to integrate with registries that require auth.

This would be useful for enterprises moving from on-prem to cloud to have a means to expose on-prem hosted images on cloud.

172 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ACR log changes to "write-enabled"

We would like to log changes to the "write-enabled" property of an image in ACR. Currently this doesn't seem to be covered in Alerts or audit logs as per this documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/container-registry/container-registry-diagnostics-audit-logs

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Separate permission for write-enabled property

We would like to allow our users to push and pull images, but not to remove the "write-enabled false" flag on existing images. Currently there doesn't seem to be a permission specifically for that.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Enable anonymous read access for docker v2 api (metadata)

We are providing an ACR to our customers with anonymous AcrPull rights but currently the customer cannot get a tag listing.

When running
    Invoke-Webrequest -Uri 'https://<myregistry>.azurecr.io/v2/_catalog'
    without any auth, the result is always:
    {"errors":[{"code":"UNAUTHORIZED","message":"authentication required, visit https://aka.ms/acr/authorization for more information.","detail":[{"Type":"registry","Name":"catalog","Action":"*"}]}]}

It would be great if there were an option for anonymous metadata access to support public listing.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Increase IP range limit in ACR whitelisting

I would like to increase this limit because I am trying to add 200 IP ranges that belongs to Azure Cloud West Europe in order for my Azure Pipelines be able to push to ACR. These IPs belongs to Microsoft, not my company and I would like to have a feature to facilitate the security between Azure DevOps and ACR OR an increase in the range. Talking to microsoft support the alternative was to have self hosted agents which is not a good idea for us at the moment since we are starting with Azure DevOps and also we don't…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. ACR login with podman

Tracking feature request: https://github.com/Azure/azure-cli/issues/14768

Describe the bug
    az acr login --name registry
    You may want to use 'az acr login -n registry --expose-token' to get an access token, which does not require Docker to be installed.
    An error occurred: DOCKERCOMMANDERROR
    Emulate Docker CLI using podman. Create /etc/containers/nodocker to quiet msg

To Reproduce
    install: podman, podman-docker emulator for CLI

Expected behavior
    az acr login to work

Environment summary
    RHEL8. Rhel8 does not have docker anymore.
    If you do dnf install docker it will install podman and podman-docker for CLI backwards compatibility.

Additional context
    With growing podman addition would be…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow wildcard in scopemap repository/namespace configuration

At present scopemap configurations are at a repository level. It would be very helpful to allow configuration at namespace/repository level with the support of wildcards.

For example
    /org/dept1/repo1
    /org/dept1/repo2
    /org/dept2/repo1
    /org/dept2/subdep1/repo1

So if I want to create a token for pulling all images in /org/dept2/ and its sub paths , allowing configuration like /org/dept2/* in scopemap would make it extremely easy rather than going and adding each repo manually in the scope map.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Monitoring network traffic for pull/push operation

Currently, we can monitor pull/push counts by Azure Monitor.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/essentials/metrics-supported#microsoftcontainerregistryregistries

Otherwise, we need to check the status of network traffic for investigating slow operation.
    (Azurespeed is viable for checking current status, but not suitable for trend/history)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Frontend for ACR

It would be great if there was a frontend for ACR, similar to Dockerhub where users could easily see the supported tags and some description for the image they are downloading

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Increase the limit for Webhooks in ACR

The Webhook limits for both Basic and Standard service tiers are way too low, and also do not scale well with the increase in price.

Most solutions are composed of multiple images, we are forced to purchase "Standard" even for small apps.

I mean, what is the computational cost of an actual Webhook call? It should have a high limit and charge by actual function calls.

Current prices:
    Basic $5 = 2 Webhooks
    Standard $20 = 10 Webhooks
    Premium $50 = 500 Webhooks

I would suggest at minimum that it should scale down based on the Premium, 5, 20 and…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. it would be nice to be able to apply a wildcard to a repository scope-map, eg dev/*

it would be nice to be able to apply a wildcard to a repository scope-map, eg dev/*

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. ACR - Remove flat fee pricing and use 1 SKU only with 100% usage based pricing

Azure is suffering from a really bad pricing system for ACR that hurts students and others exploring the Azure platform without production-grade budgets, Such as ACR costing 50$ PER MONTH for just the ability to use your own domain name instead of Azure's. That is ridiculous. Why even a flat fee? Competitors like GCP offer 100% usage based Container Registries quote: "only charges for the Cloud Storage and network egress consumed by your Docker images"

Other features like Scopes and tokens are also only available to the premium SKUs.

Why is this a thing and when will Azure step up…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Selective purge limits on repository namespaces

Your best practices suggest leveraging multiple namespaces which is a good idea. But different namespaces may require different purge limits.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. --untagged command does not indicate to delete matchings manifests

When using the acr purge command, adding '--untagged' does not tell the purge to delete images that match the filtered tag. It only tells the purge command to delete images that no longer are tagged.
    I'm trying to purge images by tag, but some images have multiple tags. Adding the --untagged command doesn't help me at all. Instead only the matching tags are removed from the images.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. ACR - Purge using Semantic Version

Create az acr CLI or Azure Portal for active purge images using Semantic Version. One time I need to maintain the last Major version ou medium and the last 3 version of after version. The another versions can I purge.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Give the _repositories_pull & _repositories_push metadata access

Currently, the tokens (which are in preview) come with three predefined system tokens. However the pull and push tokens do not allow access to the metadata of the registry or repositories.
    My suggestion would be to either allow reading of metadata on these predefined system tokens, or allow us to give a token access to ALL repositories in a registry, so we can do this ourselves with a self defined scope map.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Output file from build

I want to be able to output the test results from dotnet test to azure pipelines using acr build.

Today we use docker create ... && docker cp ... && docker rm ... but this is no longer possible for us since aks 1.19 does not support docker.
    We are looking at acr to be our build tool but are unable to nicely access the TestResults folder.
    Docker has a --target and --output flag where you could wrap the test files in a scratch image and output to the system.

Using the attached dockerfile and "DOCKER_BUILDKIT=1 docker build --target test-out…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Output file from build

I want to be able to output the test results from dotnet test to azure pipelines using acr build.

Today we use docker create ... && docker cp ... && docker rm ... but this is no longer possible for us since aks 1.19 does not support docker.
    We are looking at acr to be our build tool but are unable to nicely access the TestResults folder.
    Docker has a --target and --output flag where you could wrap the test files in a scratch image and output to the system.

Using the attached dockerfile and "DOCKER_BUILDKIT=1 docker build --target test-out…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support docker search on Azure Container Registry

Support docker search on Azure Container Registry

I want to use "docker search" cmdlet for ACR in addition to docker pull and docker push operations.
    Currently, "docker search" returns 404 when I request to ACR Endpoint.

$ docker login .azurecr.io
    $ docker search
    .azurecr.io/***
    Error response from daemon: Unexpected status code 404

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add a Powershell cmdlet to get ACR image list and their sizes

Since ACR is billed by size of images pushed, I'd like a way to programmatically check the capacity I'm using at any time

Give us some cmdlet like

Get-AzContainerRegistryImages resulting in array of acrimage details (created, last updated, ... and MOST IMPORTANT SIZE TAKEN IN ACR)

so that I can do my computation and filtering with where-object / select-object

az cli has some commands
    az acr repository list and show
    but not giving size and then I don't like it beacuse it's not programmable like powershell

Thanks

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Container Registry

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base