Azure Monitor- Alert Management

Azure Alert Management provides a unified alerting experience across all Azure monitoring services including but not limited to Azure Monitor (Metrics and Activity Logs), Application Insights and OMS Log Analytics with support for third party services coming in future.
Azure Alert Management provides features such as alert correlation and state management.
This forum is to discuss anything related to alerting in Azure.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support Multi-Action Alert rule specification in single Activity Log resource

Currently I have to create three activity log alert resources to monitor start/stop/restart of a virtual machine.. it would be great and simplify/ease the life of Azure admin's if multi action activity log alert is made available

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Localization an Alert E-mail

Currently an alert e-mail is in English only. For much more cloud operates can easily understand the alert e-mail, I hope it could be configurable the alert e-mail in each languages.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add the ability to be alerted based on the number of messages in a DeadLetter of a Service Bus entity

Hi,
    It is possible to create an alert based on the number of messages in a ServiceBus queue/subscription but only for the Active queue not for the DeadLetter queue.
    But the DeadLetter queue is the most important counter because messages in error are going into this queue so beeing alerted when a message is published into this queue is a good way to detect an error.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  End User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Timely Health Alert reporting

Difficult to find the best place for this....

Today at 09:45 GMT, I discovered that I could not start a de-allocated VM in UKSouth, and raised a Microsoft support ticket at 09:47BST.

No issues were shown on the Portal Service Health and no alerts were received, until 12:32 -apparently the fault started at 06:50 UTC.

And then the Portal Service Health showed the issue at UKWest and not UKSouth.

As a consequence this has got me very concerned regarding running a service and reporting to my customers, and seems at odds with Service Management Reporting at SLAs.

I am less…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Customized alert email subjects for down and up

We use StatusPage.io to provide a status page to our user base.

StatusPage enables us to trigger a status change based on email sent to a specific email address.

The catch is that the subject must contain the word "UP" or "DOWN". Application Insights sends canned emails that cannot be customized.

The suggestion is therefore to provide a way to customize more aspects of the mail being sent during alerting. Especially to be able to send a different subject or body on site down vs. site up.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Terraform: Support for Alerts based on Log analytics queries

I(t would be great to add support in terraform for alerts based on log analytics Queries.

https://github.com/terraform-providers/terraform-provider-azurerm/issues/3951

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Increase the flexibility in Email/SMS/Push format.

The SMS/Push notification is really great, but there are no VM name on it. When customers receive a SMS/Push, they only know a alert is fired, but they don't know which VM is facing the issue. They have to open email to check the details.

The Email/SMS/Push format might not fit customer's need. Maybe Azure could add some boxes let customer themselves to add the items info they need. such as "ComputerName", "ServicesName".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Log role deletions to the Activity Logs

Azure Activity Logs record when roles are assigned to users. We should also be displaying events for when roles are removed from users, and the actor who removed the role.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Include subscription name and ID in the budget alert notification email

Include subscription name and ID in the budget alert notification email.
    Today it says "Account information" at the bottom section, but below it is blank. Getting multiple budget alert notification makes it impossible to know which subscription it concerns.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Multiple target resources

Currently there is possibility to choose only one and existed target resource per alert. It would be very handy if I can specify multiple resource of the same type and also apply it for non-existed resource that will be automatically applied after resource is created.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. able to query the triggered alert list

At the moment, you can only use the Monitor -Alerts as location to see triggered alerts. This is very limited.
    If the triggered alert list would be accessable (and able to query), this would provide many benefits:
    - Visualize specific alert statistics and pin them to dashboards!
    - Get more details of a specific triggered alert ( like what was the current value<->threshold, all details that are in the Json file)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Alert email to use the name of the alert in the Email Subject

We are forced to give Alerts specific names because they cannot be duplicated, so naturally, we give them names that relate to the resource being alerted against. This "naming convention" is a great help when viewing all active alerts because we can tell at a glance which resource is affected on narrow long screens (90degree flipped screen). But the email we receive does not mention the name of the Alert anywhere. Would be really really helpful to use the Alert name in the subject line, for reading emails from mobile by Subject.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow us to suppress the number of alerts we get for administrative operations. A VM Delete alert will send 6 emails ! Thanks

Setting up an alert for a new VM or delete VM will send six emails as it's a long running operation and there is no way to suppress or limit to just one email. Microsoft case =117071616046005 thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow alerts on trace severity

I am using Log4Net along with Application Insights. I would like to get email/phone alerts of events with a certain severity (determined by me), every hour.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. [REQUEST] Please use one email address as the source address for Microsoft Azure notification emails.

Now, we get various notification emails from Microsoft. Some of them are very important for our and our customer's business. However, it's not easy for us to find that kind of emails since Microsoft use various email address as source addresses . So that customers don't miss the notification email, please use one email address as the source address.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  End User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. App Insight alert email should show all the recipients in To line

App Insight allows to set list of recipients who wants to receive alert email in the event when there is a failure with availability web tests. We can provide more than one recipients using semicolon.

Let's say we specified more than 1 recipients to receive email alert from App Insight then when recipient actually receive the alert email it only shows 1 email address of the person who received it.

It would be better to show all the all the recipients in To line of App Insight alert email so everyone who is looking at that email to know who…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Extend alert setup mask with the possibility to select the aggregation type "max" for a metric

When using alerts in a webfarm scenario, the average aggregation of the metrics to monitor is useless, because significant variations of a metric on one webserver have not enough impact on the aggregated one. The aggregation type "max" would solve that issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow alerts to be triggered thru Logic Apps, Functions or Custom Applications

Allow alerts to be triggered thru Logic Apps, Fucntions or Custom Applications.

in our case , many monitoring fucntions are creating alerts and posting it to third party system. We r thinking use Azure Alert and Action Groups but can trigger Alerts from Fucntions..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API and Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Reduce Spam from Metrics Alerts

My metrics alerts fire every few minutes, despite previous alerts not being Resolved. A new copy of the same alert should not be able to fire until either the previous alert is Resolved or some configurable amount of time has passed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Suppress Alerts by Machine or User

We would like to be able to suppress alerts based on the Computer or TargetUserAccount returned in the search query. For example, if I am monitoring disk space every 60 minutes, I should only receive 1 alert for INSTANCE1 but still be able to alert on other instances entering a low disk space condition the next time the alert runs. Similarly, if I alert on a user account failed login attemps, I should be able to exclude just that user but alert on others the next time that alert is polled.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base