Azure Monitor- Alert Management

Azure Alert Management provides a unified alerting experience across all Azure monitoring services including but not limited to Azure Monitor (Metrics and Activity Logs), Application Insights and OMS Log Analytics with support for third party services coming in future.
Azure Alert Management provides features such as alert correlation and state management.
This forum is to discuss anything related to alerting in Azure.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure Alert e-mail formatting

Simpler formatting of the Alert e-mails. Using a simpler subject line with Activated and Deactivated clearly stated would make the alerts much easier to read and match.

The system currently sends the same subject line with [ALERT ACTIVATED] for both the initial activation and also any subsequent resolution.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support Multi-Action Alert rule specification in single Activity Log resource

Currently I have to create three activity log alert resources to monitor start/stop/restart of a virtual machine.. it would be great and simplify/ease the life of Azure admin's if multi action activity log alert is made available

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Timely Health Alert reporting

Difficult to find the best place for this....

Today at 09:45 GMT, I discovered that I could not start a de-allocated VM in UKSouth, and raised a Microsoft support ticket at 09:47BST.

No issues were shown on the Portal Service Health and no alerts were received, until 12:32 -apparently the fault started at 06:50 UTC.

And then the Portal Service Health showed the issue at UKWest and not UKSouth.

As a consequence this has got me very concerned regarding running a service and reporting to my customers, and seems at odds with Service Management Reporting at SLAs.

I am less…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Terraform: Support for Alerts based on Log analytics queries

I(t would be great to add support in terraform for alerts based on log analytics Queries.

https://github.com/terraform-providers/terraform-provider-azurerm/issues/3951

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Increase the flexibility in Email/SMS/Push format.

The SMS/Push notification is really great, but there are no VM name on it. When customers receive a SMS/Push, they only know a alert is fired, but they don't know which VM is facing the issue. They have to open email to check the details.

The Email/SMS/Push format might not fit customer's need. Maybe Azure could add some boxes let customer themselves to add the items info they need. such as "ComputerName", "ServicesName".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow us to suppress the number of alerts we get for administrative operations. A VM Delete alert will send 6 emails ! Thanks

Setting up an alert for a new VM or delete VM will send six emails as it's a long running operation and there is no way to suppress or limit to just one email. Microsoft case =117071616046005 thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Suppress Alerts by Machine or User

We would like to be able to suppress alerts based on the Computer or TargetUserAccount returned in the search query. For example, if I am monitoring disk space every 60 minutes, I should only receive 1 alert for INSTANCE1 but still be able to alert on other instances entering a low disk space condition the next time the alert runs. Similarly, if I alert on a user account failed login attemps, I should be able to exclude just that user but alert on others the next time that alert is polled.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow webhooks to authenticate via authentication headers

CUrrently, providing the tokenID of the webhook in the alert URI is not the most secure method of posting - we would like to be able to use authorization headers to authenticate against our webhook and also identify the source of the post.

Having tokens in the url is really poor as typically logging software will log the request path + parameters (meaning the tokenID will be exposed),

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. allow webhook payload to contain resource tag's or resource group's tags

our centralized monitoring needs tags of resource but not resource id itself as cloud entities are ephemeral we use tags to identify but right now we are doing this with additional process

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Link to "Search results" at alert email is malformed when the log query is too long

When the AppInsights query is log, the "Search result" link to AppInsights log search query included in the alert email is malformed. It looks like the query is cut off hence the URL is not completed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Provide a list or range of IP addresses alerts are sent from.

A list of IP addresses the alerts are sent from would be useful when whitelisting IP addresses is necessary.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Azure Alerts - Notification Interval

As of now, an activated alert is only fired once per incident. The alert stays in the 'fired' state until it gets resolved. No further activated alerts are send out during this period.

It would be great to have a notification interval option for an alert which enables user to specify the frequency of notification.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add a 'Duplicate Alarm' button when browsing alerts

I have a boat-load of alerts that differ by only one value (like a 'computer name') or 'environment name'. But I have to configure the other 30 values that are all the same each time I create an alarm in the UI. I need a way to use one alarm as a template

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Azure Alerts

Add local time in Azure Alerts

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Azure Alerts - All Admin Operation

If I set Azure Alerts For all Admin operation at subscription level then it will provide alerts for All Components belonging to same Subscription. For Eg. If I set Alerts at All Admin Operation alerts subscription level then if any addition, Delete Update of any components like VM, Resource Group ,App service that Alerts automatically Configure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Azure Alerts - VM

Azure Alerts Configure for One VM Allows to copy same Configuration on all Other VM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Azure Alerts - Networking and Disk

Azure Alert For Specific VM Azure should Provide Ideal Threshold Limit For All Network and DISK. Also Provide document with Example.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base