Azure Monitor- Alert Management

Azure Alert Management provides a unified alerting experience across all Azure monitoring services including but not limited to Azure Monitor (Metrics and Activity Logs), Application Insights and OMS Log Analytics with support for third party services coming in future.
Azure Alert Management provides features such as alert correlation and state management.
This forum is to discuss anything related to alerting in Azure.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow to select all alerts of a smart group (not only visible)

When viewing an alert smart group there's a possibility to select and edit all alerts at once. The issue is, that the "select all" option only selects the visible alerts of the current page. It doesn't select all alerts of all pages.
    If there are lots of alerts in a smart group it's very painful to iterate through all pages and process the activities for every page.
    It would be very useful to change the behavior of the "select all" option to really select all alerts (including alerts of other pages) or to add further select option to enable the…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Azure Alert e-mail formatting

Simpler formatting of the Alert e-mails. Using a simpler subject line with Activated and Deactivated clearly stated would make the alerts much easier to read and match.

The system currently sends the same subject line with [ALERT ACTIVATED] for both the initial activation and also any subsequent resolution.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Automatically resolve alerts with configurable criteria

It doesn't appear to be possible to automatically resolve alerts based on a configurable criteria (e.g. the alert has not been triggered for X period). This would be immensely useful for certain alerting scenarios.

For example, I have an alert which triggers when updates are available for managed Windows servers using a log search condition and email action. Once the updates are installed, the alert will no longer trigger, but the alert is still active in a "New" state unless it's manually closed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to Suppress "From now" for a configurable amount of time instead of "Always"

It would be great to be able to have a From Now suppression that would auto-disable after a configurable amount of time to re-enable the alerting automatically. There are options for configurable Endtimes for suppressions but those also start at specific times. I want to be able to easily Suppress something that I know is going on now, maybe for an hour, or 24 hours, and have it automatically re-enable, without needing to go edit the Action Rule settings each time to configure the time range each time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Suppress Alerts by Machine or User

We would like to be able to suppress alerts based on the Computer or TargetUserAccount returned in the search query. For example, if I am monitoring disk space every 60 minutes, I should only receive 1 alert for INSTANCE1 but still be able to alert on other instances entering a low disk space condition the next time the alert runs. Similarly, if I alert on a user account failed login attemps, I should be able to exclude just that user but alert on others the next time that alert is polled.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Increase the flexibility in Email/SMS/Push format.

The SMS/Push notification is really great, but there are no VM name on it. When customers receive a SMS/Push, they only know a alert is fired, but they don't know which VM is facing the issue. They have to open email to check the details.

The Email/SMS/Push format might not fit customer's need. Maybe Azure could add some boxes let customer themselves to add the items info they need. such as "ComputerName", "ServicesName".

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support Multi-Action Alert rule specification in single Activity Log resource

Currently I have to create three activity log alert resources to monitor start/stop/restart of a virtual machine.. it would be great and simplify/ease the life of Azure admin's if multi action activity log alert is made available

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Timely Health Alert reporting

Difficult to find the best place for this....

Today at 09:45 GMT, I discovered that I could not start a de-allocated VM in UKSouth, and raised a Microsoft support ticket at 09:47BST.

No issues were shown on the Portal Service Health and no alerts were received, until 12:32 -apparently the fault started at 06:50 UTC.

And then the Portal Service Health showed the issue at UKWest and not UKSouth.

As a consequence this has got me very concerned regarding running a service and reporting to my customers, and seems at odds with Service Management Reporting at SLAs.

I am less…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Additional Event Triggers on Storage Account Alerting

Monitoring and alerting on Storage Account resources seems to be focused on metric and general resource administration alert triggers.

Ability to create/trigger an alert on the addition of a new blob/file to a container/containers in the storage account.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow webhooks to authenticate via authentication headers

CUrrently, providing the tokenID of the webhook in the alert URI is not the most secure method of posting - we would like to be able to use authorization headers to authenticate against our webhook and also identify the source of the post.

Having tokens in the url is really poor as typically logging software will log the request path + parameters (meaning the tokenID will be exposed),

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Azure Alerts - Notification Interval

As of now, an activated alert is only fired once per incident. The alert stays in the 'fired' state until it gets resolved. No further activated alerts are send out during this period.

It would be great to have a notification interval option for an alert which enables user to specify the frequency of notification.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add a 'Duplicate Alarm' button when browsing alerts

I have a boat-load of alerts that differ by only one value (like a 'computer name') or 'environment name'. But I have to configure the other 30 values that are all the same each time I create an alarm in the UI. I need a way to use one alarm as a template

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow us to suppress the number of alerts we get for administrative operations. A VM Delete alert will send 6 emails ! Thanks

Setting up an alert for a new VM or delete VM will send six emails as it's a long running operation and there is no way to suppress or limit to just one email. Microsoft case =117071616046005 thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Support Combining Dynamic Threshold Criteria with Static Threshold Criteria

Please support combining dynamic threshold criteria with static threshold criteria. I would like to combine a dynamic threshold with a static threshold. For instance, I would like to fire an alert when the dynamic threshold is exceeded but only when it also exceeds a minimum static threshold.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Azure Monitor alert email format

I would like the alert email format to be compatible with the text format.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow more than 500 values within a single metric based alert rule

Allow more than 500 values within a single metric based alert rule.

it does not take long to exceed the 500 limit, even doing something simple like % free space on servers with a single drive letter.
    Limit should be configuration.
    if performance is the concern limit the evaluation frequency as the dimension increases.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. allow more than 128 characters in the alert description

Allow more than 128 characters in the alert description.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add the option to send one alert per result when alerting from a log analytics query.

Add the option to send one alert per result when alerting from a log analytics query.

within the configure signal logic screen add the option.

Send one alert per result Y/N

for example

This query might list more than one result

Perf
    | where InstanceName matches regex "[A-Z]:"
    |where TimeGenerated >= ago(15m) and CounterName == "% Free Space" and CounterValue < 20
    | summarize by Computer, ObjectName, CounterName, InstanceName, CounterValue

instead of sending all the results data in one alert, send one alert per row from the results.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base