Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Monitor- Alert Management

Azure Alert Management provides a unified alerting experience across all Azure monitoring services including but not limited to Azure Monitor (Metrics and Activity Logs), Application Insights and OMS Log Analytics with support for third party services coming in future.
Azure Alert Management provides features such as alert correlation and state management.
This forum is to discuss anything related to alerting in Azure.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow cloning of existing azure monitor alert rules

Most of our alert rules are variants/copies of each other: same alert target, same action group, similar search queries, evaluation logic etc.

It would be great if we could simply clone an existing alert rule (and modify it as needed) instead of creating one from scratch each time.

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Azure monitor alert rules should allow importing queries from analytics explorer

It would be awesome if there was a mechanism to allow importing queries from Analytics Explorer into Azure monitor alert rules.

Today, while creating these alert rules, we have to copy-paste queries from analytics explorer. This means one has to (potentially) maintain several versions of the same query.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Would love all alerts in Azure to be picked up by SCOM Azure management pack.

Would love all alerts in Azure to be picked up by SCOM Azure management pack.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add ability to alert based off Shared Query

While the alerting capability of App Insights has been fleshed out in recent months, I'd like the ability to alert based off a Shared Query, instead of having to re-enter the query as part of my alert. That way, if the query changes, I will only need to update in one place instead of risking that my shared query gets out of sync with my alert query.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Need a greater timesnap period for Custom Log alerts

We have a situation where we have an in-frequent event being logged into application insights, for example over the couse of a week you might expect one event to be tracked.

When setting up an alert for this event I can currently create an alert in application insights and base it on a custom log search, my problem now is that under the section 'Evaluated based on' I cannot select a period over 24 hours. This means throughtout the week i will keep getting false alerts.

Unless im missing something this now becomes a very limiting service unless you have…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Change metric based alerts that trigger over a rolling window to bar chart

I've noticed that alert conditions set to trigger when an Azure function fails multiple times over the course of a specified Period, don't actually trigger. That and the chart to help depict the condition doesn't represent the actual condition (alert_ex.png).

A bar chart may be a better representation (alert_propsed.png). Plus the alerts don't trigger based on the threshold, since they would never reach the threshold according to the current chart.

Let me know if more info is needed.
    Thx,
    Jemaal

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. one activity log alert for the multiple subscriptions

I have number of subscription. And I'd like to have one activity log alert that serve all of them.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Alerting TimeWindow limitation of 24-Hours makes Alerting useless. Shoud really match the retention for LogAnalytics!

Alerting TimeWindow limitation of 24-Hours makes Alerting useless. Shoud really match the retention for LogAnalytics!

Is there a way to come around some major limitations when creating Alerts? The biggest problem is the Time Window restriction. This restricts us from searching in data older than 24 hours when creating an alert. I expect a record for a custom MessageType
    to arrive once a week, i am not able to create an Alert if this message does not appear as expected.
    The retention days for OMS Log Analytics is minimum 31 days according to this article: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/…/change-oms-log-analytic…/
    Why do we then…

48 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Application Insights: Alerts to include optional multiple conditions and CRON time

Add the ability to specify one or more conditions to trigger an alert.

For example, "Availability > 0 AND Function Count > 0" over last 5 minutes.

Also it would be nice to have some alerts running only between specific times hence the request for an optional CRON time (using UTC timezone).

For example, "Alert to run only between 9am - 5pm".

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Support alerting on a filtered metric

I'd like to receive alert by specific api controller response time such as '~/api/viewpost > 3sec'

We can monitor it, but cannot create an alert rule.

This request is similar to the link, and your team closed due to duplicate issue. But the link is broken; https://feedback.azure.com/forums/357324-application-insights/suggestions/9702621-alert-can-be-fired-with-metric-performance-counter

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Customize Alert Email

Alert Templates should be provided to configure the email subject, body and priority of email. This will help in categorizing the alerts in queues.

236 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Alert email to use the name of the alert in the Email Subject

We are forced to give Alerts specific names because they cannot be duplicated, so naturally, we give them names that relate to the resource being alerted against. This "naming convention" is a great help when viewing all active alerts because we can tell at a glance which resource is affected on narrow long screens (90degree flipped screen). But the email we receive does not mention the name of the Alert anywhere. Would be really really helpful to use the Alert name in the subject line, for reading emails from mobile by Subject.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Alert metric Average Response Time does not graph right AND/OR I am getting false sent alerts frequently

Alerts for a sites average response time are constantly hit and there is no conditions to be found... I'd presume its my own ignorance, but the graph says all is well and New Relic says the same when comparing apples to apples. Which leads me to suspect as a tool looking at the past 5 mins as a threshold be is 3, 10, or 60... its simply being thrown constantly and not actually accurate.

See attached. The graphs are showing no such data occurrence. Yet the alerts keep firing off.

Let me know if you need more info. Happy to…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 3 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base