Azure Monitor- Alert Management

Azure Alert Management provides a unified alerting experience across all Azure monitoring services including but not limited to Azure Monitor (Metrics and Activity Logs), Application Insights and OMS Log Analytics with support for third party services coming in future.
Azure Alert Management provides features such as alert correlation and state management.
This forum is to discuss anything related to alerting in Azure.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow renaming of alerts

I should be able to rename my alerts. It is beyond belief to me that the name is immutable. I have to hope my colleagues chose exactly the right name as they create an alert, matching the pattern set for other alerts. Seriously, the name of ANYTHING should be easily editable as noone ever gets names correctly the first time.

246 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

44 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Customize Alert Email

Alert Templates should be provided to configure the email subject, body and priority of email. This will help in categorizing the alerts in queues.

164 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. There should be a maintenance mode feature in for planned downtime in alerts

We have 8 web tests under one App Insight workspace to monitor the availability of our service. Now we have to do planned maintenance which will affect all these 8 web tests. Since there is no quick option available on App Insight to put entire workspace on maintenance mode we have to individually click on "Disable Webtest" button for each web tests before beginning the maintenance and then post maintenacen activities we have to again click on "Enable Webtest" button for each of these 8 webtests which is not efficient.

Can we please get "Maintenance mode" feature in App Insight…

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add scheduled log search query alert at specific time

We used to configure log search based alerts that done one check diary (period of 1440 and frequency of 1440 )
    . For example; backup jobs checks, ADFA
    activities and pipelines runs and any other log based check you must need.
    If I want those alerts fire at 08:00 o'clock I must set up the alert at 08:00h. This works fine.
    It would be great we could set the exact time to launch the query like cron
    or scheduled.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Feature of testing if action groups would be sent correctly in Azure Monitor.

When I create an alert rule in Azure Monitor to send an email, I want to test if the email would be sent and received correctly.

Now, it doesn't seem to have this feature in Azure Monitor.
    So it is better for me if there is this feature.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Alerting TimeWindow limitation of 24-Hours makes Alerting useless. Shoud really match the retention for LogAnalytics!

Alerting TimeWindow limitation of 24-Hours makes Alerting useless. Shoud really match the retention for LogAnalytics!

Is there a way to come around some major limitations when creating Alerts? The biggest problem is the Time Window restriction. This restricts us from searching in data older than 24 hours when creating an alert. I expect a record for a custom MessageType
    to arrive once a week, i am not able to create an Alert if this message does not appear as expected.
    The retention days for OMS Log Analytics is minimum 31 days according to this article: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/…/change-oms-log-analytic…/
    Why do we then…

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add ability to Resolve Query Based Alert

Hi. As for today, query based alert cannot be Resolved at all. Not manually and not by a "good" result. For example, a metric measurement alert rule Fired alert when "Greater Then 10". When the result is less or equal than 10, alert should be Resolved.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow cloning of existing azure monitor alert rules

Most of our alert rules are variants/copies of each other: same alert target, same action group, similar search queries, evaluation logic etc.

It would be great if we could simply clone an existing alert rule (and modify it as needed) instead of creating one from scratch each time.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add exception details like call stack to Metric Alert emails for quicker investigation

Alert emails for exceptions do not show exception message and call stack. It forces us to click on app insights link which is slow to open and we've to click through multiple links to get to call stacks which is slow and can take many minutes. This is productivity loss and sometimes we don't get to investigate all alerts due to the overhead involved because of lack of this feature

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  End User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support the creation of dynamic threshold alerts for Custom Log Queries from the portal

At the moment only Metrics support dynamic thresholds. I have been waiting for this for months! You can do this with DataDog or NewRelic long time ago..

Thanks!

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add metric charts to alert email

It will be helpful to see a chart of the metric the alert email is about. Please add this to the email content.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  End User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Graph Usage Monitoring

our organisation has so many different units, keeping track of what each team/project/app may be doing with Graph is not practical without tools in Azure. If we hit throttling limits, there's currently no way of knowing which person/tool/app has caused it. A graph usage monitor showing what end points, sources were being hit in what frequency would mean we could stop rogue apps from impacting our business.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. alert when a metric sample is no longer sent (missing data)

Please support the ability to configure an alert rule to trigger then the associated metric data is no longer sent (missing data)., so that we can detect issues with the application that result in lack of data. The alert shall auto-resolve when data next arrives (and if the threshold criteria is satisfied).

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

we have not closed on a plan at this time. As a workaround however, please note the update here: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/357324-application-insights/suggestions/14428134-add-alerts-based-on-results-of-analytics-queries. With the support for metrics derived from analytics queries, you can track an aggregate of the data received, and set a different number when there are no results. Let us know if that works for you.

14. Azure Monitor Alert condition for Backup Protected Item events

When creating an Alert Rule for a Recovery Services Vault, we do not have the option to pick the signal "Backup Protected Item" from the Activity Log and it would be very helpful to be able to generate alerts based off of that event. Or, allow the signal "All Administrative operations" to have the Event initiated by with a filter on "Microsoft.RecoveryServices". Thank you.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Sequenced voice call notification for azure monitor alerts

I have some customers who currently use a voice call notification to monitor their on-premises systems, and they would like to use it in their cloud systems as well. Such customers registered several phone numbers to an action group to notify the issue to their several stakeholders. In this case, they hope to sequentially get a voice call notifications because they wonder if they missed some critical alerts. Thus, it would be nice if the voice call could be notified sequentially.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Alert emails should include the Local Time (not UTC)

Alert emails should also show the local time as configured for the subscription, as well as the UTC time.

This would allow for a consistent operational focus.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  End User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow to select all alerts of a smart group (not only visible)

When viewing an alert smart group there's a possibility to select and edit all alerts at once. The issue is, that the "select all" option only selects the visible alerts of the current page. It doesn't select all alerts of all pages.
    If there are lots of alerts in a smart group it's very painful to iterate through all pages and process the activities for every page.
    It would be very useful to change the behavior of the "select all" option to really select all alerts (including alerts of other pages) or to add further select option to enable the…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable/support "new" alerts to be altered with/through CLI API

Hi
    Please enable support for new alert type through CLI API. Classic is supported
    We can alter both new and classic alerts in Azure Portal, but only classic alerts with CLI. This should be prioritized as all alerts now will be created in new format to avoid migration later.
    We use alerting through log analytics and directly per item. Not being able to change alert status automatically during deploys is a bit of a showstopper.
    I get flashbacks to classic vs. New portal.
    Asger

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Action group webhooks - Ability to view POST result

It would be useful to have the ability to see the result of a webhook POST.
    By seeing the status code and message of the webhook, you can determine if the message has been delivered, and cut down on your troubleshooting time, in the event of missing alerts/messages.

I've recently had a scenario where I was trying to send Azure monitor alerts via webhook to Pagerduty. The alerts wasn't arriving, and I was also unable to determine to root cause of the issue.
    Fortunately the issue was resolved eventually without intervention on my side.

By having the ability to see…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API and Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Automatically resolve alerts with configurable criteria

It doesn't appear to be possible to automatically resolve alerts based on a configurable criteria (e.g. the alert has not been triggered for X period). This would be immensely useful for certain alerting scenarios.

For example, I have an alert which triggers when updates are available for managed Windows servers using a log search condition and email action. Once the updates are installed, the alert will no longer trigger, but the alert is still active in a "New" state unless it's manually closed.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Managing Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base