Azure Alert Management

Azure Alert Management provides a unified alerting experience across all Azure monitoring services including but not limited to Azure Monitor (Metrics and Activity Logs), Application Insights and OMS Log Analytics with support for third party services coming in future.
Azure Alert Management provides features such as alert correlation and state management.
This forum is to discuss anything related to alerting in Azure.

How can we improve the alerting experience for any Azure service you use?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Customize Alert Email

Alert Templates should be provided to configure the email subject, body and priority of email. This will help in categorizing the alerts in queues.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Application Insights: Increase length of message property

Message of logged exception is often cut off. Full data cannot be displayed.
    Please increase length of message property to get full data.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Alerts for "Max Request Units" in Cosmos DB

In the legacy alerts, there was an alert called "Maxs RUs Sec" that would trigger if we hit a certain RU count on Cosmos DB.

In the new Alerts, we cannot find a way to get the same alert setup. We only see "Total Request Units" however this does not give us what we are looking for.

Is "Maxs RUs Sec" an upcoming feature? Is there a current workaround for to get this data in an alert?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Alert metric Average Response Time does not graph right AND/OR I am getting false sent alerts frequently

Alerts for a sites average response time are constantly hit and there is no conditions to be found... I'd presume its my own ignorance, but the graph says all is well and New Relic says the same when comparing apples to apples. Which leads me to suspect as a tool looking at the past 5 mins as a threshold be is 3, 10, or 60... its simply being thrown constantly and not actually accurate.

See attached. The graphs are showing no such data occurrence. Yet the alerts keep firing off.

Let me know if you need more info. Happy to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add metric support for new type of alerts on Azure SQL databases.

Azure SQL support only classic metric alerts but new type alerts are not support metric alerts.
    But classic metric alert will soon deprecated. Since could you please add support for metric alerts for Azure SQL servers and SQL Databases.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Localization an Alert E-mail

Currently an alert e-mail is in English only. For much more cloud operates can easily understand the alert e-mail, I hope it could be configurable the alert e-mail in each languages.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Log role deletions to the Activity Logs

Azure Activity Logs record when roles are assigned to users. We should also be displaying events for when roles are removed from users, and the actor who removed the role.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Include subscription name and ID in the budget alert notification email

Include subscription name and ID in the budget alert notification email.
    Today it says "Account information" at the bottom section, but below it is blank. Getting multiple budget alert notification makes it impossible to know which subscription it concerns.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Multiple target resources

Currently there is possibility to choose only one and existed target resource per alert. It would be very handy if I can specify multiple resource of the same type and also apply it for non-existed resource that will be automatically applied after resource is created.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Alert email to use the name of the alert in the Email Subject

We are forced to give Alerts specific names because they cannot be duplicated, so naturally, we give them names that relate to the resource being alerted against. This "naming convention" is a great help when viewing all active alerts because we can tell at a glance which resource is affected on narrow long screens (90degree flipped screen). But the email we receive does not mention the name of the Alert anywhere. Would be really really helpful to use the Alert name in the subject line, for reading emails from mobile by Subject.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuring Alerts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Alert rotation on-call scheduling

Would like the ability to set a schedule of which action group gets the alert. This would allow for a rotating on-call response. Action group 1 gets the notification on week 1, Action group 2 gets the notification on week 2, etc. This could also be beneficial for hourly rotation (day shift / night shift). Currently using PagerDuty for this, but the integration with Log Analytic alerts is terrible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Action group - Let us control name and region for Resouce group

Let us control name and region for Resouce group created along with a Action Groip.

The default resource group created can't be renamed, and the region is hard coded to east us (if I'm not mistaken). It will fail even, if your'e having Azure Policies to block resource group creation in certain regions. There should be better logic involved in choosing default region. Or better: Let us choose.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add New Zealands country code 64 for action group SMS alerts

Add New Zealands country code 64 for action group SMS alerts as currently the only option if for members to get emails and we have to sign up to pay for a 3rd party application to get the SMS functionality we need. Would like to have this all handed in Azure in the future.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 'Run Now' on Rules Management defintion

While configuring an alert in the 'Rules Management' blade, it would be useful to 'Run now' which would trigger the alert, perhaps with sample payload for fields that would be calculated by a query / metric.

This would be useful to ensure that the setup of the alert and any actions groups defined are correctly triggered - particularly for cases with web hook integrations and any downstream systems.

This would allow a quick sense check + give the user confidence that any integration they have defined is going to be triggered correctly when data triggers the rule

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support #applicationname in custom payload

Add support for Application Insights instance name, for example through #applicationname, similar to #applicationid.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Duplicate an existing alert

Add the feature to create a new alert rule based on an existing one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add ability to alert based off Shared Query

While the alerting capability of App Insights has been fleshed out in recent months, I'd like the ability to alert based off a Shared Query, instead of having to re-enter the query as part of my alert. That way, if the query changes, I will only need to update in one place instead of risking that my shared query gets out of sync with my alert query.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Need a greater timesnap period for Custom Log alerts

We have a situation where we have an in-frequent event being logged into application insights, for example over the couse of a week you might expect one event to be tracked.

When setting up an alert for this event I can currently create an alert in application insights and base it on a custom log search, my problem now is that under the section 'Evaluated based on' I cannot select a period over 24 hours. This means throughtout the week i will keep getting false alerts.

Unless im missing something this now becomes a very limiting service unless you have…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. one activity log alert for the multiple subscriptions

I have number of subscription. And I'd like to have one activity log alert that serve all of them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base