Azure Cosmos DB supports the MongoDB API. This means that by using existing drivers, your application written for MongoDB can now communicate with Cosmos DB instead of MongoDB databases, and gain benefits like global distribution & elastic scale.

Azure CosmosDB is too expensive for small but multiple collections

Currently using on-prem MongoDB (on Linux) and wish to move to Azure, but I find CosmosDB is too expensive for small but multiple (MongoDB)collections because it seems that a minimum of 400 RRU's/per second will be charged for each collection.

The terminology used on the pricing web pages is somewhat unclear though and I am not sure if the pricing for the minimum of 400 RRU's/second applies to partitions or collection (or if these terms are in fact identical semantically)

20 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Don WiseDon Wise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just beginning to develop an app using Azure and I wanted to go with Mongo DB for my database. I made a number of various collections as I began development. Since this is a tinker project, I came back to it a few days later finding it capped my bill to the limit. You can imagine the hair pulling that ensued once you realize the empty collections you created for a tinker project just cost you big money.

This is extremely impractical and if these are going to be so **** expensive, the pricing needs to be more upfront.

• sami jansami jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the pricing model should be simpler to understand - and not dependent on the number of collections - otherwise it's prohibitive

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were very surprised to see the cost rack up quickly for even a test instance, and after some digging figured out it was due to the fact that we have multiple (MongoDB) collections, which are charged individually, even if they contain small amounts of data. This rendered the service unusable for us, so we run our own MongoDB service now. I would love to use CosmosDB instead, but it's far too cost prohibitive as it stands today.

• Daniel KayDaniel Kay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cost per collection model is extremely limiting, and the current pricing calculator is misleading in that you no longer specify an amount of collections which initially made me think that you paid for just storage and RU's regardless of collection count.

Also the minimum of 4x100 RU's makes it very prohibitive to get started.

• Tom TuckerTom Tucker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been arguing this point for years. In Mongo World you pay per Database. A pay per collection pricing is too costly in Mongo. Both DocubmentDB and MongoDB offerings need a smaller unit than the Collection to separate data that does not cost more to organize your data.

• JoJo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For hosting a larger number of very small collections with less RUs under one pricimg tier.
        At the moment you habe to pay about 22€ each collection per month, if you habe an application with 30 collection, this is a lot of money.
        Alternativly support very small tiers, like 0,5 GB and 50RUs

• VinneVinne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For backup you can use "Cloudbacko Pro" software as Cloudbacko Pro can Support continuous backup of database and individual mailboxes

• Jose DuranJose Duran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DocumentDB price is prohibitive for mobile applications with a database and several collections.
        This makes it very expensive to use more than one collection for app.
        The solution to this is to have only one database and a collection where all documents are stored, but this does not happen if we use mongo db, where the price per GB is hired, no matter the number of databases or collections.

Feedback and Knowledge Base