Azure Cloud Shell

Have feedback for Azure Cloud Shell? Submit your idea or vote up an idea submitted by another Cloud Shell user. All of the feedback you share here will be monitored and reviewed by the Azure Cloud Shell engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will help us shape the future of Cloud Shell. Remember that this site is only for feature suggestions and ideas, if you have technical questions please try our documentation or StackOverflow.

1. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add rest API support for cloudshell

It will be great if azure exposes rest APIs to access the cloudshell, pass commands and get outputs.

There are too many azure ad features that are only accessible via powershell. Microsoft graph API does not support all the functionalities including basics like get password policy, update password policy, enable MFA etc.

Having cloudshell rest API, one can actually pass command to cloudshell from REST API interface and get the job done. No need to have powershell or azure CLI installed on myachine just to automate something.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. quota

Cannot connect to cloud shell for training due to quota:

Requesting a Cloud Shell.Failed to provision a Cloud Shell: {"code":"TenantActiveUserQuotaReached","message":"Tenant '604c1504-c6a3-4080-81aa-b33091104187' has '300' active users in location 'westus', which exceeds the active user quota."}

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Since you don't provide full support for docker at least prove full support for docker-machine

Currently docker-machine is the only way to run docker inside the Azure Cloud shell. Docker works to build images and run images, once you set up and eval a docker-machine. But if you want to push the image you created in the docker-machine to an ACR, you get the following message when you run the command: "az acr login..."

This command requires running the docker daemon, which is not supported in Azure Cloud Shell.

For other docker commands, you get the error "daemon not found" if the docker-machine isn't set up, For ACR, for some reason, you totally block use…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow access to PowerShell from CSP account

When attempting to use PowerShell in Cloud Shell with my CSP account, which has delegated Owner rights within Azure for the customer tenant, I get the error below. It works if I switch to a Global Admin account.

Add-AzureRmAccount : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'AccountId'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.
    At C:\Users\ContainerAdministrator\PSCloudShellStartup.ps1:73 char:71
    + ... ProfileModule\Add-AzureRMAccount @addAzureRMAccountParameters -ErrorA ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Add-AzureRmAccount], ParameterBindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,Microsoft.Azure.Commands.Profile.AddAzureRMAccountCommand

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add support for running Azure Cloud Shell in secure Azure subscription

I'm working in a subscription where I only give users the minimum permissions that are necessary. I would like these users to have access to Azure Cloud Shell, but I want to have it pre-configured for them before they even try. For this, I need the following:

1. An API (and ideally one or more PowerShell cmdlets) that allows for the initial configuration of Cloud Shell to be done automatically for a user before they even try to access Cloud Shell. This would create the resource group if it did not already exist in the subscription, create the storage account,…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Increase Tab-Completion performance

Using tab completion feels very slow sometimes and may lock the shell for a few seconds (3-10). Tab completion is an essential tool for me to work with speed and not having to remember every command (discovering new functionality too).
    Due to its varying reliability i find myself going back to my local install a lot.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback, at this moment we need more input to look into this! We’re regularly sync with the AZ CLI team to make sure performance is great on all fronts, but providing votes helps us prioritize our resources appropriately so please cast votes across ideas you feel are important to you!

8. Sandbox is not working and it is affecting my training

i am supposed to be using sandbox to follow my training and i am not able to execute az commands

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. It does not work (blank, black screen) when used with Edge within new MS Learn Sandbox. Chrome and IE works fine!

It does not work (blank, black screen) when used with Edge within new MS Learn Sandbox. Chrome and IE works fine!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Preconfigure PowerShell in Cloud Shell with PowerShell help files

When we run Update-Help the downloaded help files are not persistent across PowerShell sessions because they are written in $pshome's subfolder.

Could you preconfigure the Cloud Shell with the current PowerShell help files?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Font/background color

Option to change the font/background color.
    (I'm using an e-ink monitor btw)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Does not work well on ipad pro with keyboard

Just like in the Monaco based app editor there is no support for the cursor keys on the console window when working with an external keyboard and the ipad. Should be possible to solve because the site http://codeanywhere.com works with cursor keys in the editor.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Remove or re-configure Azure Cloud Shell

It is very easy to configure Azuer CLoud Shell. But there is no option to un-configure or re-configure it when you removed the File Share or entire Storage Account. Can't find any documentation about it either.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Keyboard shortcuts for Cloud Shell

Today, if you want to start Cloud Shell or max/min a terminal in the Portal, you need to click on icons. It would be nice to do those tasks from the keyboard.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add safe word/line deletion shortcut support

Please add support for Ctrl+Backspace(or other browser safe alternative) to delete whole words and another command to clear the whole line.
    (Linux clear line and clear word commands Ctrl+w and Ctrl+u are a no-go in a browser.)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. India needs more sandbox users -- 150 is too low for a country of 1.3 billion

Failed to provision a Cloud Shell: {"code":"TenantActiveUserQuotaReached","message":"Tenant '604c1504-c6a3-4080-81aa-b33091104187'has '150' active users in location 'centralindia', which exceeds the active user quota."}

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Failed to connect terminal

Getting the below error, is it firewall related?

Requesting a cloud shell.suceeded.
    Connecting to a terminal..

Failed to connect terminal: websocket cannot be established. Press "enter" to reconnect.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Tab Completion Shortcut in iOS App

A Tab completion shortcut in the mobile app (iOS) would be extremely helpful, as iOS devices do not have a "Tab key."
    There are currently shortcuts for Restart and Paste.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. root access to install privelaged packages

i need root access to install certain privallaged packages to be able to build git repos .. eg. to build the angular git rep i need to

1. install jdk apt-get install -y openjdk-8-jdk
    2. install typescript npm install -g typescript@next

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Could not retrieve token from local cache

I'm trying to run some data lake analytics CLI commands and running into this error:

A Cloud Shell credential problem occurred. When you report the issue with the error below, please mention the hostname 'cc-72f9-62e894e1-1611694333-rkw3c'
    Could not retrieve token from local cache.

This is causing the command to not be executed.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Cloud Shell

Feedback and Knowledge Base