Azure Cloud Shell

Have feedback for Azure Cloud Shell? Submit your idea or vote up an idea submitted by another Cloud Shell user. All of the feedback you share here will be monitored and reviewed by the Azure Cloud Shell engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will help us shape the future of Cloud Shell. Remember that this site is only for feature suggestions and ideas, if you have technical questions please try our documentation or StackOverflow.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Keyboard shortcuts for Cloud Shell

Today, if you want to start Cloud Shell or max/min a terminal in the Portal, you need to click on icons. It would be nice to do those tasks from the keyboard.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Cloud Shell as a trusted services exception

Add Cloud Shell as a trusted services exception so it can connect to "Firewalls and virtual networks" configured storage accounts.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Tab Completion Shortcut in iOS App

A Tab completion shortcut in the mobile app (iOS) would be extremely helpful, as iOS devices do not have a "Tab key."
    There are currently shortcuts for Restart and Paste.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add safe word/line deletion shortcut support

Please add support for Ctrl+Backspace(or other browser safe alternative) to delete whole words and another command to clear the whole line.
    (Linux clear line and clear word commands Ctrl+w and Ctrl+u are a no-go in a browser.)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. India needs more sandbox users -- 150 is too low for a country of 1.3 billion

Failed to provision a Cloud Shell: {"code":"TenantActiveUserQuotaReached","message":"Tenant '604c1504-c6a3-4080-81aa-b33091104187'has '150' active users in location 'centralindia', which exceeds the active user quota."}

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. "Unable to start the Cloud Shell. Take a look at the troubleshooting guide." ???

Oh, that's a really smart error message... that doesn't say ANYTHING about what has gone wrong. You really think I am going to waste my time poring through your explanations of possible error messages just to try your intro to azure service? You think I have nothing better to do than do YOUR job?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Cannot create storage account

Storage creation failed
    Error: 403
    {"error":{"code":"AuthorizationFailed","message":"The client 'live.com#<email addres>' with object id 'b730fc34-6f61-4f8d-8531-4c2612d0ed00' does not have authorization to perform action 'Microsoft.Resources/subscriptions/resourcegroups/read' over scope '/subscriptions/2756a54b-5e46-4cf0-a938-52b46ad0cc55/resourcegroups/cloud-shell-storage-eastus'."}}
    Can't create a storage account. Please try again.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Provide API for admins to pre-configure Azure Cloud Shell for users so that the onboarding process is not necessary

For a user to use Azure Cloud Shell, they must have:
    1. An Azure Storage Account tagged with ms-resource-usage=azure-cloud-shell.
    2. A file share in that Azure Storage account where the cloud shell files will be stored.
    3. Some black magic that configures their user account and/or the file share so that Cloud Shell knows they're set up before it brings them into a new Cloud Shell session.

Administrators can complete items 1 and 2 using ARM and PowerShell, respectively, but not item 3, so at the moment it is impossible to provision Azure Cloud Shell such that future Cloud Shell…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. VSTS CLI in Cloud Shell

It would be helpful to have access to VSTS CLI in Bash/PowerShell Cloud Shell. Any plans to add it to a set of preconfigured tools?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Update docker-machine version of Cloud Shell for "docker-machine mount" with sshfs to share files between CloudShell and docker container

Though we have great experience operating docker-machine (device including Azure) from Cloud Shell, we cannot docker-machine mount to sync files between Cloud Shell and docker container on docker-machine, due to docker-machine version and lack of sshfs package.
    https://docs.docker.com/machine/reference/mount/

As we can use VS code on CloudShell, it will be much greater experience for us to docker-machine mount and edit files on VS code.
    Please consider enhancing the experience by updating docker-machine version and adopt sshfs package.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Cloud Shell Prompt is hidden when using the iPad Pro Keyboard

I use the power shell with my iPAD Pro keyboard. It is great, specially when I am on the road or an airplane. The problem with cloud shell prompt is there is a system bar at the bottom of the screen when the keyboard is connected showing the iOS shortcuts, but blocking my view of the prompt last row. I have to ‘clear’ the screen to be at the top again. Maybe adding some padding on the CSS for iOS devices would be helpful.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Cloud Shell should come with preinstalled Azure Building Blocks npm package

Both, Bash and PowerShell Cloud Shell have pre-requisites to run Azure Building Blocks. Cloud Shell should come with azbb instead of a user performing the installation steps https://github.com/mspnp/template-building-blocks/wiki/Install-Azure-Building-Blocks-in-Azure-Cloud-Shell

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support for Touch screen

Please provide ability to scroll console on touch screen

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. ALlow easy way to update Azure CLI in Cloud Shell

When I type az --version in Cloud Shell, it tells me I have 2 updates available and gives me a link on how to apply them. The documentation leads to instructions on installation on Windows, but not on how to update in Cloud Shell. I have been Googling for an hour, and I can't find any way to do this. There should be an easy way to do this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Cloud Shell not available after storage account deletion

After deleting one of the storage accounts I keep getting the same error when I try to open an Azure Cloud Shell.

Failed to provision a Cloud Shell: {"code":"ServiceUnavailable","message":"Cloud Shell is not available at this moment, please retry later."}

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SSH to vm with private IP

I think it would be awesome if there was some way to SSH into a VM on a VNET within my subscription via the Private IP. I know you can connect via Public IP, but within my environment that's not something we have in place.

My azure user ID context allows me to work with components that I specifically have rights too, and accessing linux VMs under that context with the private IP would be great. This way I wouldn't have to connect with a third party app, over a VPN.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow subscription selection as part of URL to https://shell.azure.com/

It would be really nice if I could choose which subscription to work in as part of the URL for https://shell.azure.com/

As a CSP we often work with a number of different tenants/subscriptions. It would be very useful if we could use links that opens the relvant tenant/subscription. These links would improve documentation for our CSP customers.

https://shell.azure.com/?tenantId=xxxx&subscriptionId=xxxxx

In the Azure portal it works well to specify a Tenant as follows:

https://portal.azure.com/@<tenant>

For example

https://portal.azure.com/@mydomain.onmicrosoft.com

So having the same possibility with the https://shell.azure.com/ URL would be very nice ;-)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add cloudshell to Azure Stack.

Please bring cloudshell to Azure Stack.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)