How can we improve Azure Cloud Shell?

Timeout is to short, or needs to be configured to monitor for running processes.

I have been trying to generate a listing of all of the blob sizes in a container, and it takes longer than the timeout settings and will not complete. If I run against a small container it works properly. Also, while it states I have been idle for 20 minutes I don't believe it was actually that long.

116 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Scott shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I haven't touched a button on my remote while binge-watching Netflix, it'll ask "Are you still watching?" and will dump you to the menu if you don't answer yes after a few seconds.

Can we have Azure Cloud Shell ask if we're still working, rather than clearing the terminal? We may be referencing command output further back in the terminal buffer to troubleshoot a configuration issue and then it's all lost. At that point, I just quit the lab and go on to something else out of irritation.

• Dre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been going on for almost 2 full years now and it has not changed? smh doubt it will at this point. Just very annoying when you have things to do while you wait. Takes about 5 minutes to create the VM which shaves time down to 15 min. Don't get distracted with life or blink too many times and its gone, timed out!. Thanks for the free service tho! Much appreciated!

• Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

timeout continues in 10 minutes, just changed the the message saying that 20 mins idle. please correct the information and timeout minimum 20 min, but it is really a short time, you should activate this parameter for each session, with a maximum in 1 hour.

• Ed Gale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teaching Microsoft Official workshops and would love to use Cloud Shell with students to speed up the process of doing labs. The 20 minute time out isn't enough, would be ok paying even for the compute to run the CLI at a longer time out than the free 20 minutes.

• Phil Morley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm lucky if I get a minute without it timing out, yet it says it's been idle for 20 minutes. MS definitely pulling my leg with this one, so frustrating

• Craig N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Timing out after just 5 minutes or so. Saying "20 minutes" but it definitely isn't. Really frustrating. Can you tell me the fix please?

Windows 10 // Chrome

20 minutes is not long enough if you're working on a script. I keep getting timed out and have to start all over again running my test script. It almost makes this unusable for me.

• Rudy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Timeouts are way too short, shorter than 20mins after last activity.

• Yossarian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! Console times out while I'm working through tutorials, please extend the timeout period.

some of us lead busy lives. When I came back from taking care of my bed-ridden spouse, my VM was gone, and so was the security group. The timeout needs to be an hour minimum.

This is very annoying. I can only get three steps into a lesson and the group get deprovisioned

• Omer Zubair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also the timer for 20 minutes is incorrect! After you reconnect the first 20 minutes timeout then you will be kicked out in 2 minutes :(

• Brandon Carrington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe its buffering at first then it catches up as a pile then it releases ,
    cousing it to move to fast to controle .
    if we put http:/$20/brandonslowthisdown.com ex . %20 between the http:/%20/
    will work %20 percent every 12 sec four times will gain control

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base