How can we improve Azure Cloud Shell?

Increase 10 minute inactive timeout

Currently deploying some complex ARM templates from powershell on my computer can take up to 30 minutes - Powershell is running inside New-AzureRmResourceGroupDeployment commandlet and then returns success/failure. 10 minutes inactivity timeout is too low for such scenarios.

BTW, Google Cloud shell has 1 hour limit https://cloud.google.com/shell/docs/features - The instance persists while your Cloud Shell session is active and terminates after an hour of inactivity.

5 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Frantisek Dufka shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whats the update on this, why cant we get access to this config and make it configurable as everyone has their own requirements. Security should be left to companies who are using rather than be forced upon I think everyone is responsible enough and there are cases like terraform etc will need this running longer than 2-3 minutes for sure

• Javeed Khan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can i get a resolution as my session is getting timed-out every 1 minute.. its really irritating when you are running a script.. how to increase the session atleast for 20 mins.. mine is loged out every 1 minute..

• Robert Aspinall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still too short. I'm trying to develop terraform scripts and the timeout keeps resetting my working directory. At least make it resume into the directory and environment you were in when it timed out.

Please make this a configurable setting.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is another user facing the same issue. I'm getting kicked out of every session after 2-3 minutes.

Same error .. the bash azure cli disconnects within 2-3 minutes ... very irritating

• Mohamed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It does not work. Its time out in a min. Please check and update the time to 20 - 30 mins.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could not complete a lab with long running copies due to the timeout. The sessions were actively copying session was technically "idle". This isn't good.

• John Dawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an ARM deployment that takes 28 minutes and I want screenshots afterwards. Twice now I've lost the screen and had to do over. I'd really appreciate a 1 hour timeout or even better (as I assume it consumes resources) make it configurable similar to font size as something like 10 mins, 30 mins, 60 mins.

• Washim Nawaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cloud shell does not work well, timeout occurs every two 3 mins while you are typing.
    Is there any solution to this annoying interruption ?

I believe the timeout is much shorter than 20 minutes. I think it's closer to 2-3 minutes. It will even quit in the middle of a command. This is ridiculous for a development tool. I understand not wanting it to be misused for lengthy processes, but it's a rather short timeout (shorter than 20 minutes).

• philip gahan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also happening for me , even if I use a separate tab of shell.azure.com within the browser , 5 mins max and it times out

• Fryderyk Supinski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not make this a session idle timeout? Only increment the session timeout counter while waiting for user input, and don't increment the session time-out counter while waiting for an operation to complete.

• Vidar Hagen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using Cloud shell for training session and would like it to be extended to 1 hour. Alternative there could be a setting with default 20min and max 1hour

• Richard Cove commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cloud shell is almost unusable due to the time out issues
    I get time outs even when I am typing or editing a file, I am pretty sure that the 20 minutes is not related to activity but the time since login, so a session has to be less than 20 minutes
    If i use shell.azure.com, i have to go through the ms login process each time i timeout

• Tom Ptacek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the others, 20 minute timeout is too short. Should be a settable parameter. It would be different if you could pop open an Azure PowerShell like a cmd window - and it came up quickly. The pain comes because it's a minute wait to start one up. I could see an hour being the max, people could live with that.

• Dimi Goranov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The timeout is 2-4 min on my end as well. If I switch to another browser tab for more than 3-4min I have to restart the shell. This is very annoying and makes the developers live difficult.

• Joshua Niland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with others. The timeout is 2-4 mins at best!

This unfortunately makes the use of the Azure Cloud Shell useless for lengthy tasks such as deployments or AZCopy etc.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base