Azure Cloud Shell

Have feedback for Azure Cloud Shell? Submit your idea or vote up an idea submitted by another Cloud Shell user. All of the feedback you share here will be monitored and reviewed by the Azure Cloud Shell engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will help us shape the future of Cloud Shell. Remember that this site is only for feature suggestions and ideas, if you have technical questions please try our documentation or StackOverflow.

How can we improve Azure Cloud Shell?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. User-friendly way to get a list of preinstalled tools

Both, Linux and Windows, Cloud Shell(s) are frequently updated with new preinstalled tools. To get a list of those tools and their versions we need to consult the docs. If would be much easier and efficient to get that info directly in the Cloud Shell session. For example, in PowerShell Cloud Shell, one could run Get-CloudShellTool and get tools' info. Similar command could be added to Linux as well.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Do not require a storage account

When you just want to execute some scripts on an environment, you perhaps do not need persistent storage.

On some environments you don't have the permissions to create a storage account dedicated for this, and have to fallback on your own powershell/bash commandline.

Make it an (advanced) option to not use storage when launching the shell, lowering the barrier even more to run a one-off command.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this suggestion – we currently plan to continue requiring storage so users can get the best experience possible with persisted state across all the interfaces Cloud Shell is available. Please upvote this if you agree though as we’re always listening to the community!

3. azure cloud shell

It is great to see azure cloud shell is preloaded with many compilers such as gcc, java, ruby, go, python, etc. This gives much more flexibility to manage azure. I hope you will continue to add popular programs/compilers or provide option to add or remove them in future. I also like the editor and hopefully you will add more features to this editor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Remove or re-configure Azure Cloud Shell

It is very easy to configure Azuer CLoud Shell. But there is no option to un-configure or re-configure it when you removed the File Share or entire Storage Account. Can't find any documentation about it either.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Pass a command tp shell

As authentication is already a pre-requisite, it would be useful to be able to pass a command when launching the shell programmatically

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Tab Completion Shortcut in iOS App

A Tab completion shortcut in the mobile app (iOS) would be extremely helpful, as iOS devices do not have a "Tab key."
    There are currently shortcuts for Restart and Paste.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Respect the shell choice in the URL when onboarding new users

If you navigate to https://shell.azure.com/powershell, and you haven't used Cloud Shell yet, you are brought through an onboarding process that eventually asks you which shell you want to use, Bash or PowerShell. When you specify the shell you want in the URL, users should not have to make that choice, and instead should be onboarded and then brought directly into the shell that the URL was trying to bring them to.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow cloudshells to be whitelisted in network security groups

We whitelist IP's that are allowed to access privileged services. We'd like to be able to whitelist cloudshells for our staff members.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. ask me if I want PowerShell or Bash when I open the cloudshell

I want to be asked which cloudshell I want before it opens. I use Bash and PowerShell and go back and forth very often. So I would like the cloud shell to ask me when I start which I want, rather than open it have to change

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Does not work well on ipad pro with keyboard

Just like in the Monaco based app editor there is no support for the cursor keys on the console window when working with an external keyboard and the ipad. Should be possible to solve because the site http://codeanywhere.com works with cursor keys in the editor.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. VSTS CLI in Cloud Shell

It would be helpful to have access to VSTS CLI in Bash/PowerShell Cloud Shell. Any plans to add it to a set of preconfigured tools?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Keyboard shortcuts for Cloud Shell

Today, if you want to start Cloud Shell or max/min a terminal in the Portal, you need to click on icons. It would be nice to do those tasks from the keyboard.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Cloud Shell should come with preinstalled Azure Building Blocks npm package

Both, Bash and PowerShell Cloud Shell have pre-requisites to run Azure Building Blocks. Cloud Shell should come with azbb instead of a user performing the installation steps https://github.com/mspnp/template-building-blocks/wiki/Install-Azure-Building-Blocks-in-Azure-Cloud-Shell

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add support for running Azure Cloud Shell in secure Azure subscription

I'm working in a subscription where I only give users the minimum permissions that are necessary. I would like these users to have access to Azure Cloud Shell, but I want to have it pre-configured for them before they even try. For this, I need the following:

1. An API (and ideally one or more PowerShell cmdlets) that allows for the initial configuration of Cloud Shell to be done automatically for a user before they even try to access Cloud Shell. This would create the resource group if it did not already exist in the subscription, create the storage account,…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add safe word/line deletion shortcut support

Please add support for Ctrl+Backspace(or other browser safe alternative) to delete whole words and another command to clear the whole line.
    (Linux clear line and clear word commands Ctrl+w and Ctrl+u are a no-go in a browser.)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Update docker-machine version of Cloud Shell for "docker-machine mount" with sshfs to share files between CloudShell and docker container

Though we have great experience operating docker-machine (device including Azure) from Cloud Shell, we cannot `docker-machine mount` to sync files between Cloud Shell and docker container on docker-machine, due to docker-machine version and lack of sshfs package.
    https://docs.docker.com/machine/reference/mount/

As we can use VS code on CloudShell, it will be much greater experience for us to `docker-machine mount` and edit files on VS code.
    Please consider enhancing the experience by updating docker-machine version and adopt sshfs package.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Tutorial - resource deleted

During the fundamentals tutorial it came up twice that my temporary group and vm have been deleted (linux). This is unacceptable and frustrates right from the beginning of learning to deal with Azure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. проблема с вводом пароля

не работает ввод с клавиатуры в командной строке при задании пароля

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)