Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Azure Database for PostgreSQL?

Allow Event Triggers to be created

I am working with multiple users on shared tables. As the users belong to a dedicated role "pgpublish" I am in the need to run "ALTER TABLE "MYcoolSchema"."CoolNewTable" OWNER TO pgpublish;" on every new table which we create manually.
As I want to have any new table owned by the role pgpublish instead of the user role I want to to create a trigger function and a trigger event to change table owner automatically (as described here: https://blog.hagander.net/setting-owner-at-create-table-237/). Unfortunately I can't create trigger events as I am not a superuser nor do I have the credentials for a SU by default. I am confronted with the message in pgadmin:
ERROR: permission denied to create event trigger
"trg_create_set_owner" HINT: Must be superuser to create an event trigger.
SQL state: 42501

10 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Riccardo Klinger shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Riccardo Klinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, Azure Database for PostgreSQL is offered as PaaS, and there is currently a permissions limitation with this offering. There is no short-term solution and the product team has viewed your User Voice request. That being said, you could deploy PostgreSQL on an Ubuntu VM (available through Azure Marketplace as PostgreSQL 9.5 on Ubuntu). This will give you complete control of your instance but there is more involved to set-up and at (most likely) additional costs but, you get to what you are looking for.

Feedback and Knowledge Base