Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Azure Database for PostgreSQL?

(Same-region) Read replicas

(merged with "replication support or is that built in")

76 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m happy to announce that same-region Read Replicas are now in public preview.

You can start using them today in every region Azure Database for PostgreSQL is available.

Thank you so much for being a supporter of this feature, and giving your feedback.

Documentation:
    Overview -https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/postgresql/concepts-read-replicas
    How-to – https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/postgresql/howto-read-replicas-portal

Best,
    Rachel, on behalf of the Azure Database for PostgreSQL team

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeb Garcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this? This is a very critical feature to have to run applications in production

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Huge bummer, this is exactly the kind of thing a cloud service is supposed to make easier.

• AdminAzure Database for PostgreSQL Product Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same region read replicas have been actively developed and are expected to be ready for private preview in the next 4-6 weeks. We will send invitation to those who voted for this idea once it is available.

Pardon delay(s) and thank you for your patience! As a young Azure service (< 1 y.o.!) we sometimes set goals that are too ambitious and then have to adjust estimates for delivery. We're doing our best to avoid it going forward, i.e. provide estimates only when we have high confidence.

Please feel free to e-mail us at AskAzureDBforPostgreSQL@service.microsoft.com if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Nik on behalf of the Azure Database for PostgreSQL team

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're waiting to migrate our infrastructure to Azure. This feature was promised in May-June timeframe. Then delayed a few months. We are losing confidence. If this isn't done by end of Q3, we will choose AWS.

• York commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you have a better ETA now? we are in urgent need for read replicas. If it's not planned within 3 months, we may have to switch to other service providers. Thanks

• Kaustubh Pimputkar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will echo the comment above. This (geo-redundant capabilities under the hood) is a critical feature for us as we mature our product into a client-offering stage.

• Alf Normann Klausen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I would be interessted in replicating my on-site PostgreSQL db to a "Azure DB for PostGreSQL" plaform service database. Would this be supported too?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 native Postgres Streaming Replication functionality needs to be supported. This should allow you to replicate to another Postgres managed db in Azure, as well as replicate from an on-premises Postgres database to a managed instance in Azure using the native streaming replication.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication

This can be done with SQL server currently in Azure.

Organizations need to do this so they can replicate source/transactional databases that sit behind applications to Azure for query/reporting offload.

• Marc Sitges Puy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't find the way to setup a replication ***** for this service. It shouldn't be that difficult, it is allowed for MySQL Azure service, which is also still on beta

• William Yeung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just did a quick review on Azure PostgreSQL, while they said HA is built in, I don't know what they actually referring to- from this command I am not very assured:

SELECT slot_name, database,
        active, pg_xlog_location_diff(pg_current_xlog_insert_location(), restart_lsn) AS retained_bytes FROM pg_replication_slots;

This shows you there is no replication comes from the server at all. The worst part is you can't setup one either based on the current design. The best managed db example to follow should be heroku, which gives you complete ability to do fork and follow.

• William Yeung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to setup replications is critical, I don't see medium to large enterprise use this product at all without ability to ensure replication in place.

Feedback and Knowledge Base