Azure Database for PostgreSQL

We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea or vote up an idea submitted by another Azure Database for PostgreSQL customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Azure Database for PostgreSQL engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will also be one of the first to know when we begin work on your feature requests and when we release the feature.
Remember that this site is only for feature suggestions and ideas! If you have technical questions please try our documentation, MSDN forum or StackOverflow.

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Azure Database for PostgreSQL?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. 19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Roadmap  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Event Triggers to be created

I am working with multiple users on shared tables. As the users belong to a dedicated role "pgpublish" I am in the need to run "ALTER TABLE "MYcoolSchema"."CoolNewTable" OWNER TO pgpublish;" on every new table which we create manually.
    As I want to have any new table owned by the role pgpublish instead of the user role I want to to create a trigger function and a trigger event to change table owner automatically (as described here: https://blog.hagander.net/setting-owner-at-create-table-237/). Unfortunately I can't create trigger events as I am not a superuser nor do I have the credentials for a SU…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. effective_cache_size

You should allow tuning of memory-related parameters. I have a 15GB server and the effective_cache_size is 1536MB; it should be eight times as high. Without tuning these parameters my application is simply too slow to run on your environment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. PostgreSQL in West Central US region

It doesn't appear on the roadmap. Is this planned anytime soon?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Region  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Enable the Pgstattuple Extension

The extension pgstattuple is best used when you suspect something is amiss with the performance of a query and you suspect bloat.

The pgstattuple is the most accurate way to determine the bloat in a particular table or index.

I would like the ability to run the command manually as part of my debugging exercises.

It is not required that pgstattuple be run as a service because it is intrusive.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support for Ultra SSD SKU configuration

For performance critical workloads and large volumes of data, storage access latency is critical. Please support a Ultra SSD SKU configuration.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Roadmap  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide actual memory being used (in GB) in Azure Monitor

Provide actual memory being used (in GB) in Azure Monitor in addition to % memory used. The customer scenario is for the Persona of a QA/Test professional. Actual memory used is much more useful than % used as it related to determining the quality of a product / service. % used is tailored to SRE/Ops persona.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ability to use PG FDW to access one PG server from another w/o opening the firewall to all of Azure

I'd like a way to use Postgres foreign data wrapper (FDW) which is supported today to access one Azure DB for Postgres server from another, without opening the firewall on the first server to all of Azure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Transactional DB with Analytics

AWS announced an analytics extension to Aurora for MySQL with postgreSQL to follow:
    https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-parallel-query-for-amazon-aurora/

" ...you can run a mix of analytical and transactional queries simultaneously on the same table while maintaining high throughput for both types of queries. "

This would be a tremendous feature that my company could exploit at large scale.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable shutdown (deallocate equivalent) for Postgres when not in use.

For non-production environments it would be a helpful cost saving feature to be able to 'turn off' / deallocate Azure Databases (of all types not just postgres) when they are not in use.

While the prevailing logic would suggest that non-production environments should be destroyed when not in use, this is sometimes not convenient or practical when environments are required on (relatively) short notice and DB content sizes are relatively large

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Correct count of Postgres connections in Portal

We use the Azure postgres database and shows the connection count in our monitoring setup. We just realized that the connection count shown in the Azure Portal is not the same as Postgres repots. We had over 170 connections at one time, while the Portal showed approx. 20 connections

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Better support for automation of installation in ARM Template / PowerShell

We massively deploy PostgreSQL instances. We (for exemple) need to automatically deploy configuration (for instances log_* parameters). It's possible to modify configuration with AZ commands. The other automation tools don't have the required functionality:

* ARM Template cannot deploy instances with a set configuration.

* Python2 should provide the necessary tools via azure.mgmt.* but is not very well documented (it's still in preview)

* PowerShell as no options for that. (and very few means to interact with Postgres in general).

In general, the support for postgres is bad in automation tools (and the feature coverage not uniform). We have to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. pgTAP support for application testing

We are working on migrating our app to Azure, and our app has unit/regression tests with using pgTAP [1].

I would like Azure PostgreSQL to support pgTAP to allow us for application compatibility test.

[1] https://pgtap.org/

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Implement PL/.NET Core for Stored Procedures, Triggers, and Functions in PostgreSQL

Implement PL/.NET Core support which will allow for Stored Procedures, Triggers, and Functions in PostgreSQL to be written in .NET Core

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Firewall option: Allow access from a specific Azure resource

While the option to allow access to all Azure services is nice, I'd much rather be able to control what resources can reach my server on a more granular level.

The vnet integration is excellent, but many Azure resources (I'm thinking specifically of Data Factory at the moment) aren't integrated with vnets, for various reasons.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Post PostgreSQL Version Updates

Could Azure announce beforehand when version updates will be applied to Azure Database for PostgreSQL? For instance, updates are posted when PHP gets updated (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/updates/june-2018-version-updates-to-php/).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Globally Unique/Custom Domain Names

Procedurally generated uniqueness should be added to Domain Names to ensure that a namespace will remain available across Azure subscriptions. Users should not have to generate a globally unique server name. Something like “<server name>.<some hash>postgres.database.azure.com” where <some hash> is globally unique and provided by Azure.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add DNS management to firewall rules configuration

Usually pg_hba.conf accepts DNS names so you can use i.e. my.address.ip for ***.***.***.***. In Azure portal you can input only numeric IP addresses but this presumes you have staic public IP address. Allowing DNS management you would be able to use Dynamic DNS solving non static public IP address problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Provide a list of available sku-name values by region

The quickstarts and walkthroughs make reference to the sku-name parameter in the az postgres server create command, but there doesn't seem to be any documentation about how the name is constructed and whether every sku is available in every region. It might be good to have "get-sku-names" cmdlet (or whatever the cli equivalent is) that would return all available skus, possibly with an optional region argument.

At least, the documentation should say "The sku-name parameter consists of 3 parts: Tier (B for Basic, GP for General Purpose, MO for Memory Optimized), Compute (Gen4 or Gen5), and Scale (1-32 vCores) -for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback

We have updated the documentation on the quickstarts and the tutorials to include examples of the syntax, and a reference to the regions and pricing tier page for guidance about allowed combinations.

See this section: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/postgresql/quickstart-create-server-database-azure-cli#create-an-azure-database-for-postgresql-server

The additional feature request of having a cmdlet generate valid values is currently unplanned.

Thanks,
    Rachel on behalf of the Azure Database for PostgreSQL.

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Database for PostgreSQL

Feedback and Knowledge Base