Azure Database for PostgreSQL

We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea or vote up an idea submitted by another Azure Database for PostgreSQL customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Azure Database for PostgreSQL engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will also be one of the first to know when we begin work on your feature requests and when we release the feature.
Remember that this site is only for feature suggestions and ideas! If you have technical questions please try our documentation, MSDN forum or StackOverflow.

1. Ability to use loopback IP in dblink as hostaddr

In AWS when using dblink, you can use loopback IP 127.0.0.1 as hostaddr when you are using cross database queries. When we migrate from AWS PostgreSQL to Azure Database PostgreSQL, we need to point the hostname to either the instance IP or server name. Hopefully this will be a new feature so that we can do the migration without changing the our codes every time we migrate to another server. For more details, here's the case ID 120031124003015.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Set the AD admin with API

To be able to script the creation of a PostgreSQL Database, it could be great if it was possible to set the Azure AD admin with an API or Az CLI.

Thanks,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Roadmap  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. zombodb

ZomboDB extends PostgreSQL capabilities for FTS as it works pretty nicely with Elasticsearch. It works as a native PosgreSQL extension and its support PostgreSQL versions 10.x and 11.x.

Not having it as an extensions is one of the main reasons why we don't migrate from having databases in VMs to Azure Database for PostgreSQL.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. PGSQL 12 Availability?

It would be nice if PGSQL 12 (including on-by-default JIT extensions) were available as an option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Please add timescaledb 1.6.0 extension

Currently Microsoft only allows TimescaleDB 1.3.2. Please add 1.6.0 as an option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Provide wal_level server parameter

I wan to use debezium postgresql connector to my Azure database for postgresql . For that I need to set wal_level to logical but I dont find such server parameter.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support for PostgreSQL 12

PostgreSQL 12 has been GA for over 4 months now. Any indication on when it will be supported?
    Version 12 contains new features like case-insensitive grouping, better connection security and various improvements that will improve scalability and performance of Large partitioned tables.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Monitor slow and long running queries on read replica

Would be helpful to monitor and pull statistics for queries executed on replica in Query Performance Insights. Currently its not allowed for replica's as the query data store in Azure_sys Database is also replicated from master.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. add cstore extension

for Columnar stores provide notable benefits for analytics use cases where data is loaded in batches

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PG_HBA: Sync rules from master to read replica to allow proper service failover

As described in this issue (I won't rewrite the whole request again): https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/issues/35906

Azure's postgres PaaS is broken for the enterprise without this feature. I consider lack of this option a defect, not a feature request but am logging it here as directed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. periods extension

The SQL 2016 standard defines a native way of handling system-versioned temporal tables. The periods extension provides this functionality for PostgreSQL versions 9.5 - 12.0, until native support is added.

https://github.com/xocolatl/periods

There is a Debian package available which can be installed:

"sudo apt install postgresql-11-periods"

The extension can then be enabled using regular CREATE EXTENSION syntax.

I would love to see this added to Azure. There is clearly demand for this functionality; the thread below suggests adding support for the temporal_tables extension and has 24 upvotes. However, that extension is now outdated compared to the much shinier periods extension.

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/597976-azure-database-for-postgresql/suggestions/31659994-temporal-tables-postgresql-extension

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Support upgrading major versions via Replication

Upgrading Data via Replication is documented as a method in the PostgreSQL docs.

When creating a read replica in the Azure Portal it is not possible to change the version (I assume it uses the same version as the master).

Please allow selecting a version when creating a replica so that this upgrade method would be possible.

18.6.3. Upgrading Data via Replication
    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ability to set max_locks_per_transaction

As a SaaS provider using postgresql schemas to separate clients we have a lot of tables, one set per customer schema. Some operations such as pg_dump, or schema migrations, takes locks on a lot of tables at once in the database, prior to dumping, or updating the database. For us this means that the default setting of 64 is too low and we'd like to be able to set the value ourself using parameters.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. prefix

Add prefix extension

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. oracle_fdw extension

Provides a Foreign Data Wrapper for easy and efficient access to Oracle databases, including pushdown of WHERE conditions as well as comprehensive EXPLAIN and ANALYZE support.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. "Allow access to Azure Services" does not work for Flask Web App

I have a Flask web app which using Azure PostgresSql server/db, the application running fine on my local machine, (I already added my local IP to azure postgresql server's firewall rules)
    But after I deployed the app to to Azure App Service, the web app failed to start, got this error:

no pghba.conf entry for host "104.208.xx.***", user "pi", database "iotdb", SSL on
    2019-09-26T07:11:58.743294692Z FATAL: no pg
    hba.conf entry for host "104.208.xx.***", user "pi", database "iotdb", SSL on

the option "Allow access to Azure Services" already enabled for the Azure PostgreSQL, but it does not work!

I have to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow admin user to be able to execute ALTER TABLE “my_table” DISABLE TRIGGER ALL

Can the 'azurepgadmin' role be enhanced so that

ERROR: permission denied: "my-trigger-name" is a system trigger

is not encountered when executing

ALTER TABLE “my_table” DISABLE TRIGGER ALL

. The system trigger in question is one associated with a foreign key and the assocated triggers are system triggers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support creating VNET Service endpoint in Azure Red Hat OpenShift

Even though Azure DB for PostgreSQL provides secure connection, Applications on ARO needs to access Azure DB for PostgreSQL via internet.

Currently, VNET for ARO doesn't allow any modification, therefore, there is no option avoiding going through internet when applications connect to Azure DB for PostgreSQL.

There is no point in deploying a DB container on ARO. The user needs to consider how to manage DB.

If ARO allows modifying VNET creating Service endpoint for Azure DB for PostgreSQL, it could provide more secure route and low latency connections as well.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make PostgreSQL on Azure support usable speeds and not be slow af.

PostgreSQL on Azure is very outdated and extremely slow. It's very much unusable like this and we ended up moving to our own PostgreSQL container that don't have these issue. Please clarify that

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Database for PostgreSQL

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base